Range Report G17 +Ghost Rocket+New Springs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by major7, Mar 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. major7

major7

First post and happy to be here!

Bought a used Glock 17 from a coworker who's returning to Germany. Apparently not so easy to take it with him!

Anyway, not being one to leave well enough alone.... I love the Glock 17, but the trigger was a little lacking for target use. So I made a few mods after I put several hundred rounds through it to get a good baseline.

1. Ghost rocket 3.5 lb
    2. 25 cent trigger job - bearing surfaces mirror smooth without rounding over any edges
    3. Wolff reduced power striker spring, reduced power firing pin safety spring and increased power trigger spring.

After several hundred rounds, I'm happy to report a more silky trigger feel
    (reduced grittiness), reduced trigger effort, and better accuracy on target. So far, so good. A great way to learn how the gun works, as well.

I can't vouch for reliability of the firing pin to primer with a lower energy spring, but I've had no problems so far. I'll shoot several hundred more rounds of different brands, then report back if there are any failures.

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

When you say "increased power trigger spring", I'm assuming you mean the competition coil spring, not one of the NY trigger springs. If I'm correct, you must be down around/under 3 lbs pull? With the Rocket adjusted for limited overtravel, have you had any unintended double-taps as the trigger evidently bounces off the stop and then fires again? Watch for it. Did you notice an increase in creep at the break point, or is the break point even distinguisable at that light a pull?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

3. major7

major7

"....When you say "increased power trigger spring", I'm assuming you mean the competition coil spring, not one of the NY trigger springs. If I'm correct, you must be down around/under 3 lbs pull?... "

==> The former. I haven't measured it, so I can't say. It's certainly less than before. Is there an inexpensive way to measure it? Ideally I'd like to put it on the Instron at my work where I can measure and graph force vs travel over several pulls. Not exactly a wise career move!

With the Rocket adjusted for limited overtravel, have you had any unintended double-taps as the trigger evidently bounces off the stop and then fires again? Watch for it. Did you notice an increase in creep at the break point, or is the break point even distinguisable at that light a pull?

===> No double taps so far. But yes, it does seem to be some creep and a little inconsistency from pull to pull. As far as I can tell it seems to be the interface between the striker and the cruciform - I was thinking about putting an ever so slight draft on the cruciform. Even with polishing you can tell it's just a stamping and the remnants are still present. If you have any hints on that I would be quite interested.

4. HK Dan

HK Dan

Ah--One thing that may help? Lightly file the overtravel stop in a different direction than you did the first time. I've had a couple get "serrations" on the end, and that tends to make things stick at odd points.

Just kiss it--the serrations are really small and won't take much to get rid of.

5. bentbiker

bentbiker

I personally wouldn't change the shape of the cruciform for fear of causing the nickel plating to start flaking off, although I agree with you that the stamping with no subsequent grinding leaves a pretty casual edge. However, I believe the creep and lack of precise break point is the nature of the 3.5 connector. The angle of the tang on the connector is more shallow, meaning that the vertical motion of the cruciform is both slower in speed and lesser in distance per each mm or rearward trigger motion. I want to be surprised when the trigger breaks to avoid flinching, but I don't want my sight picture changing as my finger continues to move trying to find the break. I went back to the Tactical for that reason. I like the competition spring, but didn't mess with the striker or striker spring.

If you choose to put a draft on the sear of the cruciform, make sure you let us know whether it makes it more precise.

Edit: And I'd love to see the Instron curves at various points along the trigger. No way you could get permission?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010