Glock Talk banner

Range Report: Federal 9mm Luger 147 Grain HST

7792 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  happie2shoot
Federal 9mm Luger 147 Grain HST

Federal’s Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition line-up currently includes four different 9mm Luger loads that utilize 0.355” versions of their hollow-point HST bullet. As the title of this article states, the standard pressure 147grain load (P9HST2) will be the focus of this article.

All versions of the 9mm Luger HST ammunition are loaded in nickel-plated, brass cases. The case-head for the P9HST2 is stamped “F C 9MM LUGER”. This version is loaded to a cartridge nominal OAL of 1.125”. The primers are sealed, but are not crimped in place. The case mouths are also sealed. The round is charged with a “flake” powder.

(The individual squares in the red grid below measure one-tenth of an inch.)

The 147 grain HST projectile has a nominal length of 0.680”. The bullet has a deep cannelure and six skives in the copper jakcet. The skives on the 9mm HST projectiles are the longest of any of the 9mm Luger law enforcement loads that I’ve evaluated to date.

The 9mm HST projectiles have a very unique construction, in that the lead-core directly beneath the skives has a crown-shaped cut-out.

Federal’s literature claims that the 9mm Luger 147 grain HST load has a muzzle velocity of 1000 FPS. When chronographed from my Gen 2 Glock 19 (with the factory original barrel) over an Oehler 35P chronograph, the P9HST2 load had a muzzle velocity of 1018 FPS with a standard deviation of 11 FPS!

Dr. GK Roberts has stated that the 9mm 147 grain HST rounds “are among the finest 9 mm duty loads currently available.” Terminal ballistic testing in 10% ordnance gelatin conducted by the good doctor produced the following results . . .

I evaluated the accuracy of the P9HST2 load from a distance of 25 yards using two different platforms; my Gen 2 Glock 19 and a Colt 6450 with a free-floated Noveske barrel.

When using hand-loads topped with the Hornady 125 grain HAP bullet, my Noveske barreled Colt 6450 has turned in 10-shot groups at 25 yards that have extreme spreads of less than a half-inch.

A 10-shot group of the P9HST2 ammunition fired from the Noveske barreled 6450 at 25 yards had an extreme spread of 0.83”.

Firing from the bench at a distance of 25 yards, my Gen 2 Glock 19 (with the factory original barrel) produced a 10-shot group with an extreme spread of 2.05”.

…..
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
8,266 Posts
Thank You Sir. This is very informative and carefully conducted. Well done.

Reports like this certainly make me extremely glad that I carry on duty this exact ammo in my Gen III G34. Especially interesting in the report is the auto glass penetration and retained weight.

· Registered
468 Posts
Thank you for the great write-up. It must took you lots of effort and time to prepare such detailed report. I am glad you confirmed my trust in this ammunition as my EDC rounds.

· Registered
11,722 Posts
I'm not a heavy-for-caliber guy, but if I come across a good deal on the 147-grain HST I will buy some. The HST has always fired well from all the pistols I've owned and along with Gold Dot I don't know of anyone who really has a valid complaint regarding it.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Molon,

Thanks for the range report, very thorough.

You stated what Federal & another feel about this cartridge, I would be interested in your own opinion of this round.

· Banned
1,694 Posts
In my opinion, the Federal 9mm 147 gr P9HST2 standard pressure load is the finest load developed for the 9mm to date. Its performance through heavy clothing, even winter wrapped perps is just sensational!

· Registered
7,641 Posts
I'm impressed by the HST 147 gr results.
Have bought some HST 147 +P for my first 9mm handgun, a HK P30SK.
Although I'm going to also try some 124 Speer GDHP +P.
And Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 gr +P+.
I'll carry what I shoot the best and the gun appears to favor.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Thanks for sharing your data. Excellent work! More great testing of the HST, you can see why it is so popular. I don't think I've seen a test yet that it didn't perform as well or better than any other 9mm out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.