Range report and thoughts on....

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Snapper2, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Snapper2

Snapper2

wolf LP primers. I just received a 1000 primers from PV and loaded up a 100 rounds using once or twice fired brass(400 corbon) and 700x. Around 15 or so(maybe more) didnt ignite the first time but did on the second.:dunno: I also bought WST and wanted to work up a load in it, so I used new brass since it was my first time using this powder. No failures to ignite using new brass and wolf primers and WST:cool:. This leaves me wondering if the primers got seated deep enough. While I did tumble the brass clean I did not clean the primer pockets. I've never had this problem with cci or federal primers,even with dirty primer pockets. I guess I need to start cleaning the primer pocket/flash hole better with wolf primers.

2. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Primer seating is easy to notice-you can feel if they seated properly. If they are not flush to slighly below the casehead then seat them deeper! I'd bet this was your problem as the first strike pushed them deeper and the second fired them!!!:supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010

3. Snapper2

Snapper2

yeah, I'm kinda hoping thats it. I'm using a lee ram prime. It had started giving primers dimples so I honed it flat. Might be time to get a hand primer.But your probably right.

4. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I've had to seat several Wolf Large Pistol Primers with a Lee hand prime before moving to stage two in my 45acp loads.

The Wolf LP seem to be a pretty tight fit compared to the FED and WIN I've been using.

I've never had a misfire with them though after making sure all were seated properly.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Wolf primers seem a tiny bit on the large size so you may need a bit more pressure to seat them. I can't believe you only ordered 1K primers? Save some money, 5K at a pop min. They do not go bad.

6. Snapper2

Snapper2

yeah I know, Should have bought more at $25/1000. But I only had a $100 giftcard:embarassed: and needed some aa#7 and that WST that yall've been talking about.:cool: By the way, I found the wst a very good target powder.Is it supposed to be white/silver?

7. torrejon224

torrejon224

I use Wolf primers exclusively but use a Dillon press not a handheld primer tool. Have never had a seating issue nor any issue with them but agree that they may be a "tad" larger than most but overall quality is 100%.

8. fredj338

fredj338

Yep, my fav. for lighter loads in several calibers. It runs great in the 45acp to factory equiv vel. w/ 200-230gr bullets.