Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made the trip to the range today and shot my 9mm reloads and a bunch of .380 in the new Sig P238. I cleaned and oiled the Sig before shooting it for the first time.

I started with 9mm factory ammo through the Glock 19 to see what it felt like, then shot some of my 4.1gr Titegroup reloads. The recoil of the reloads was just slightly less than the factory ammo and they shot like a dream. I liked shooting them more than the factory ammo. The reloads seemed more accurate, but I didn't have a rest I could shoot on to verify that statement.

I then went on to shoot about 80 rounds of factory .380 ammo through the new Sig P238. It shot like a dream! Absolutely zero malfunctions or problems of any sort. I then went back and forth between factory FMJ and Hornady Critical Defense ammo to see if there was any difference in recoil or feeding issues. Performance was flawless with both types of ammunition and the recoil between the two felt the same (or very close, at least).

I ended up putting 100 rounds through my Glock 19 (80 reloads, 20 factory) and 120 rounds through the P238 (100 FMJ, 20 Hornady Critical Defense). Flawless.

Here's a picture of the target after I was done shooting .380:

I started out with another target on which I was not so accurate, but once I got used to the gun I was putting them in the center consistently. The shots on the pictured target range from slow, aimed fire at 7 to 10 yards, to 7 round mag dumps at maybe 2 to 4 yards.

For whatever reason, the grips are now loose on the Sig. Not a problem because I can just tighten them, but you wouldn't think that would happen.

It was a great range trip!

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
It's not uncommon for grips attached w/ a screw to loosen w/ recoil. A dot of nail polish or Loktite will fix that. Now you are officially a reloader. Stick w/ the concept of working up your loads & you'll be fine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I tightened them pretty well so I don't think they'll come loose again. If so, I'll get some Loctite.

Honestly, I don't see the need to mess with this load at all. I really like it. MAYBE I'd up the charge .2 grains, but that's about it. I'm going to pick up some W231 soon and see how that works in .380 and maybe try it in 9mm as well.

Thanks for acknowledging my entry into the ranks of reloaders! It feels official coming from you. :supergrin:

·
2,950 Posts
W231/HP-38 is a great .380 Auto powder.
Agreed.

Once he gets some reloading experience under his belt, he will love some of those MB Secret Agent bullets over a charge of W-231. The down side is chasing those ejected cases down before someone else grabs them - that in itself can ruin an otherwise fun time at the range.

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
I tightened them pretty well so I don't think they'll come loose again. If so, I'll get some Loctite.
Be sure to not use the High Strength version. I am pretty sure it's Blue that you want to use but double check me because I have a 102degree temp and I am a little loopey.

Glad things went well. I was wondering about you.:cool:

·
Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
Be sure to not use the High Strength version. I am pretty sure it's Blue that you want to use but double check me because I have a 102degree temp and I am a little loopey.

Blue, NOT RED! Unless, of course, you want to have to use a torch to heat it up to take it apart.:wavey:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed.

Once he gets some reloading experience under his belt, he will love some of those MB Secret Agent bullets over a charge of W-231. The down side is chasing those ejected cases down before someone else grabs them - that in itself can ruin an otherwise fun time at the range.
I'll have to rig up a brass catcher. I'd buy one but those things are expensive! Maybe just pound two sticks into the ground and put a plastic grocery bag between them. That'll catch my brass. :p

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was there (101 degree temp) last week. Hope you feel better soon!

·
2,950 Posts
I'll have to rig up a brass catcher. I'd buy one but those things are expensive! Maybe just pound two sticks into the ground and put a plastic grocery bag between them. That'll catch my brass. :p
My first range trip with the P238 was irritating. After loading up a mess of those MB Secret Agent rounds, I was ready to acquaint myself to my new little pea shooter. Fired the first round, and about broke my neck turning my head to track that little nugget of gold. Good, found it. Set the pistol down, picked it up and bagged it. Back to the pistol.... Fired another round, another violent neck turn.... well, not quite that anal but you get the picture.... :cool:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My first range trip with the P238 was irritating. After loading up a mess of those MB Secret Agent rounds, I was ready to acquaint myself to my new little pea shooter. Fired the first round, and about broke my neck turning my head to track that little nugget of gold. Good, found it. Set the pistol down, picked it up and bagged it. Back to the pistol.... Fired another round, another violent neck turn.... well, not quite that anal but you get the picture.... :cool:
I was indoors so it all just fell around me. One bounced off the wall and landed on my hand. Ouch! Another one bounced off the wall and landed on my shoe. All the others I just swept up. It does really sling that brass though!

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
They invented the ultimate case catcher years ago, I'm having trouble remembering the name, it's. ah... ah... oh yeah... revolvers!

Jack

·
Registered
15,022 Posts
My LCP throws the brass forward and backwards. It's just the way it is with .380's it seems.

My 10mm throws the brass so far I am lucky to ever find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts