Range Rental Report: LC9S, P365, Shield, G43

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Staffordshire, Apr 15, 2018 at 1:58 PM.

1. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Shot several mags of each pistol today with Federal Aluminum 115 grain and all ran without issue. I was equally accurate with the LC9S, P365, and Glock 43. The Shield was a distant last place for me as far as accuracy. I just don't shoot it well at all.

Recoil seemed about the same for each. I shot the Glock last and it seemed a little snappier, but that may have been hand fatigue. I shot the G43 once before and didn't find it that snappy, so I'll chalk it up to shooting it last. I did not find the LC9S or P365, to be hard to handle at all.

I probably shot the P365 more than the others because it is the hot gun of the day and I really wanted to give it some extra time. The night sights weren't that great in the indoor range. But the 10 round capacity was a real plus. I also ran a mag of Remington 115 JHP and there were no issues.

For the costs, the LC9S is a good value and I shot it just as well as the higher priced P365 and G43. In fact, I could get the LC9S with an extra magazine and night sights added cheaper than either.

My plan has been to get a Glock 43. I planned to just rent the G43 and the LC9S today, but when I got there, they had the P365 available to rent. So, I really don't know which I like the best. How's that for a report? I like all three and really don't know which one I'll end up buying.

vba, Lt. Donn, Quade and 3 others like this.
  2. hurley842002

hurley842002

With your experiences being so even across the board between the three, some might say buy the cheaper one. I just recently sold off my Shield 2.0 in favor of a new (to me) G43, mainly because I've been a Glock guy for many years, and enjoy having the same manual of arms. Not sure about price of mags on the Ruger, but the 43 is likely to offer more affordable mags, if that's an issue to you, as well as offering some cheaper solutions for mag extensions if that is in your future. I was able to pick up two Vickers +2 extensions for my back up mags, and had a Pearce +1 extension that came with my 43, bringing me to the same capacity as my former Shield.

3. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Prices at my local gun stores for reference.

Sig: $649 on backorder (seen it online anywhere between $499 and $599)
    LC9S Pro: $279
    LC9S with Hi Viz sights: $369
    Glock 43: $479 with night sights added at purchase for another $99

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 2:50 PM
  4. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

That LC9S Pro is a great little 9mm and that's a good deal.

5. hannstv

hannstv

PSA has the LC9S for $260 shipped. Don't know what a couple of extra mags and sites would cost but might be a pretty cost effective option.

6. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

pgg00 likes this.
  7. M162

M162

Like you, my plan for the last year was to pick up a Glock 43. Then Sig came out with the 365, which looks like a great platform.

I really though about going the Sig route, but the 365 is hard to find, is currently selling for a premium price, doesn’t yet have a wide variety of aftermarket accessories, and honestly I prefer not to buy a new gun design until it’s been out at least a year or longer.

The Ruger wasn’t even a consideration for me.

So I went with the Glock 43 last week. I was eligible for the blue label program, so out the door with taxes and background check fee I paid $419. I ordered a set of Ameriglo Agent night sights from Brownells, a couple extra mags, as well as some Tango Down +2 Vickers magazine extensions.

I am very happy with my purchase. The little Glock 43 shoots like a Glock. The trigger pull is a tad heavier than the bigger Glocks, recoil is a wee bit snappier than its larger siblings, but it shoots very nicely. I’m finding the concealable size of the 43 is just outstanding. It will work great as my summer EDC, or in the role as a back up gun for work.

As for which of the three guns you tested is best, it appears it all depends on the your circumstances. The Ruger looks like a great affordable option, the Sig wins in the capacity category, and the Glock 43, which has been around for a few years, is well tested, and has a lot of aftermarket holsters, sights, and magazines.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 5:52 PM
    vba and snowbird.40 like this.
  8. Bluescot

Bluescot

I have a bunch of and have been very happy with the Glocks in various calibers. I also own a LC9S Pro and a Shield in 9mm and have shot a G43 extensively from a loaner from a buddy.

My taste is different and I would order the above three in this order:

1. Shield 9mm
    2. LC9S Pro
    3. G43

I wanted to like the G43 but couldn't get it shoot for me even after having many Glocks. The LC9S Pro has a great trigger and now a great price and is now my truck gun. The Shield was an unexpected surprise after shooting a buddys. I found it to be accurate, comfortable, and easy to shoot. I did pick that Shield up during the discount days of the $75 and it ended up with a cost of $267.

9. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

My least favorite is (was) the Shield, which I just sold. I kept the 43 and LC9s pro, great guns... Looking to get ahold of the p365.

10. powernoodle

powernoodle

Find an EC9s (the LC9s' cheaper but almost identical brother), and carry it for 6 months until the P365 is available everywhere for $499. Then buy the P365 and keep the EC9 for a car gun or whatever.

Newhaven308 likes this.
  11. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

I'm going to have go and shoot the LC9S and Glock 43 back to back again before making a decision. Just to see if I'm more accurate with one or the other. I shot the Ruger first today and the Glock last.

I like the price of the Ruger and the +1 capacity over the Glock. It shot well, much better than I expected. A 9 round factory mag is available which is good. However, I don't like that it comes with only one magazine and I really don't care for the looks of the pistol. Probably shouldn't matter, but, I think it's ugly. I also don't like that you need a punch tool to break the gun down.

As for the G43, well, it has a similarity to my G19 and I like the idea of having two similar pistols. I prefer the look of the G43 and I've shot it twice and been satisfied with the accuracy both times. Price is $200 more than the Ruger.

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that the Ruger is a little better as a pocket gun, but both would be excellent IWB.

12. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I liked the LC9s but didn't carry it as much as I thought I would. I like the G-23 better, and carry it daily.
    I have been looking at the G-43, and thinking about getting one, just because it is a Glock.

13. BengalBacker

BengalBacker

Mine came with one 7 round and one 9 round mag.

14. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor

I think the LC9 is a real gem which does not get as much attention as the other models you shot...all those I know who own one really like them...I don't know if we have any 1,000 rd endurance tests on them, but for the typical CHL holder, they seem to be a good choice.

15. SBroadwell

SBroadwell

I've had the regular LC9, hammer fired, for years, since they first came out. Easy to take apart with no tools, and it's been 100% reliable. In about 1500 rounds, not one problem. Does have a pretty horrible trigger, but I've gotten used to it.
    I've felt the trigger in the LC9S, and it is really good. Gotta get my hands on a P365 and compare - I'm gonna get either a 9S or the SIG

16. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Might be the best idea. And then in 6 months I can decide on whether to get the more expensive G43 or P365.

17. weblance

weblance

The EC9s has non-adjustable, non-removable sights., so IMHO that makes it a belly gun, and nothing else. I think that was a mistake by Ruger.

vba likes this.
  18. glockguns

glockguns

Like you I was planning on getting the G43, until I was able to get a P365 for $499. $649 seems kind of high. It's a matter of time before prices drop and more P365's will be available. Agree on the night sights, not real visible in low light.

19. Ratch

Ratch

I carry a shield 9mm and it's a fantastic gun that I shoot well. I owned an original LC9 (poor trigger) that I also shot well.

I'd choose either of those or a p365 over a 43. The 43 is the only glock I've shot that I just did not like. It felt snappy for a single stack 9mm, the capacity is also poor without hyve mag extensions or some other upgrade.

20. arndog123

arndog123

I'm a Glock fan and tried to like the G43 but after shooting 500+ rounds through it I decided to let it go. My LC9s, (4) Shields and Sig P938 are more accurate and pleasurable to shoot in my hands. I'd like to get a P365 in about a year though and hopefully all the issues will be ironed out.