Range Masters-range question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by JDR, Oct 5, 2010.

1. JDR

JDR

Hi guys, my dept. has a small indoor 4 lane 25 yd range under the building. The whole thing is carpeted with that short office type carpeting. I recently heard that unburnt powder particles can get in the carpet, and cause a fire hazard over time. I know that lead particles also can do this, however we shoot lead free ammo, which does reduce the exposure significantly. I have been tasked at locating info on this topic, and have definite documentation on lead exposure in carpet, but nothing on powder or fire hazard. My opinion is we should remove the carpet. (It is concrete underneath) What are your opinions? Any personal experiences are welcome. Thanks.

2. phred119

phred119

I don't have any documentation for you, but I also think the carpet should go. The only potential upside of the carpet is the slight noise reduction you may get.

3. Morris

Morris CLM

No rounds are completely lead free.

As to the fire hazard, it will depend on the type of carpet, fibers, backing materials, glue for attaching to the floor, etc.

4. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

Try the fire hazard by lighting a match and throwing it onto the carpet. Draw conclusions. :rofl:

Carpet is also dirtier and smelly overtime

It's a gun range for Christ's sake, remove the damn carpet :supergrin:

5. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Sweep the concrete floor of an indoor range and see what kind of nasty looking dust and residue that the broom picks up. Now, take into consideration that same kind of dust and residue is imbedded in the carpet. None of the indoor ranges I've been on were carpeted.

6. A6Gator

A6Gator

At an indoor range where I occasionally used to shoot IDPA, we had to cancel the rest of the night when one of the shooters, shooting reloads, had a few sparks touch the floor. They hit a seam in the concrete where a bunch of unburnt power was and caused an truly remarkable, dense smoke drill. We had a hard time putting it out, especially where the powder had been "sealed" in/under the cracks, too. I would imagine your carpet probably has significant amounts of powder on it, especially if some quals are done w/short(er)-barrelled handguns. Unless it's nomex, it'll probably make an pretty impressive flame.

7. CAcop

CAcop

Get it out of there now or vacum with a disposible bag HEPA filter vacum every range use. We had a range fire in our indoor range from paper and powder at the far end. The spark from a bullet hitting a staple lit the fire. NOT FUN. With carpet it could get deadly real fast. If it were my range the carpet would be gone.

8. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

That carpet has got to go, and the range has to be cleaned regularly.

9. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Professional carpet cleaning service.

10. Morris

Morris CLM

Provided they are cleared/rated for lead borne hazards. Most wouldn't even go there due to liability.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The first PD I worked for had the same setup underneath in the basement. All concrete, no carpeting in sight.

12. Zut

Zut

Once it gets started by the powder, that burning carpet will quickly generate all sorts of nasty life threatening smoke and gases. Fire guys can confirm this. There may be special carpet available that is UL rated for smoke and flame.

13. A6Gator

A6Gator

Gotta agree w/this one. The range fire we had, without carpet, basically filled the range w/smoke so visibility was less than 4-5 ft and that was with the blowers on! I would imagine a burning carpet would create some carcinogens that haven't even been named yet...:supergrin:

14. HoldHard

HoldHard

Depending on how the carpet was installed, if it was glued down, removing it and getting back to a clean solid concrete floor will be a major PITA.

That still beats burning down the building....

HH

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010