Range & Competition Holster for G34? Comp-Tac or Blade-Tech?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Flipz, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Flipz

Flipz

Ive decided I need a new holster for my G34. Id be using a Wilderness 5-Stich Instructors Belt and Comp-Tac Single Mag Pouches. This would only be for range and occasional competition use. The only problem is, Ive never seen either holster in person. So Im looking to you guys for help. If youve used either or have had hands on experience with either please chime in.

Blade-Tech
    http://blade-tech.com/Black-Ice-DOH-pr-1211.html
    or
    http://blade-tech.com/DOH-Dropped-Offset-Holster-SR-Loop-pr-1163.html

Comp-Tac
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66

Thanks!

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My wife uses the dropped offset Blade Tech and it's a good holster, but I still believe it is not allowed for males in IDPA, only for females. I don't know if it's allowed in USPSA Production. I don't like the fixed belt loops on the Comp-Tac - I'd rather have a removeable Blade-Tech style belt attachment. I have a Blade Tech Revolution and a couple of the straight drop kydex holsters that I like. I also prefer the stingray belt loop.

3. freedom790

freedom790

I use the comptac for single stack, very fast and comfortable. YMMV.

4. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

Blade-Tech makes a good one. If you are going to use it in IDPA then you cannot have the DOH. But that can be removed, it only takes a few minutes. One of the best things that I like about Blade-Tech holsters is the front sight channel. It allows for tall sights if you ever want to change them out. Most holsters do not take that into consideration.

5. gomerpyle

gomerpyle

I haven't tried the Blade Tech holsters but I had a Comp-Tac for my G34. Since then I tried out a Kytac holster & sold the rest. It's a great holster. http://www.kytac.com/page2.html

6. Flipz

Flipz

Id get a Kytac but Ive heard their CS is horrible. Obviously they make great holster as it is what Dave Sevigny uses. But Ive heard multiple stories of people waiting 6-12 months for theirs. Or being told that it was shipped when it never was. Personally, Id rather not put $100 (Holster & 2 Mag Pouches) out there for a holster I may never see.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  7. gomerpyle

gomerpyle

Hmm I didn't know that? I'll have to do some research on that because I've been recommending them to quite a few people. I got mine from a buddy who ordered the holster while he had a G34 then sold the gun before he received it. It did take him awhile to get.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I bought one of the comp-tacs at a gun show for 10 bucks.It was for a G21. The great thing is that it fits my MP and G17 also.

I loce comp-tac stuff. Its quality

9. mboylan

mboylan

Blade Tech DOH is pretty much the standard in competition. Leave it as is for USPSA Production. It takes a couple minutes to change off and on the drop piece for IDPA.

10. Dingus

Dingus

I vote for the standard Blade-Tech, straight drop.

11. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I have both Blade Tech and Comp Tac for a variety of guns. Hands down the better holster is Comp Tac. The finish is better, finished and it looks like the work of someone who knows what they are doing. With Blade Tech I have the distinct impression that whoever does them works at Mattel making Barbie Dolls on the side.

I have the Blade Tech only because Comp Tac doesn't make the holsters for my few guns but I really don't like using the BT models.

I like the fixed belt loop holster in a straight drop and their mag pouches.

12. frankt

frankt

I have several Comp-Tac holsters and with the quality of the holster, the Customer Service and short delivery times, they are hard to beat.

13. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

This +1

14. rsxr22

rsxr22

Comp-Tac is the way to go, but youll want to go with the Comp-Tac Locking paddle. it is by far the most stable secure holster out there without using an inner/outer

15. Flipz

Flipz

Comp-Tac it is!!!

Id be using a 1.5 inch Wilderness 5-Stich Instructors Belt. Why would the paddle be better then the belt loops? Im just not sure why I would need a paddle attachement when Id be using a 1.5 inch belt?

*EDIT*
    I just got off the phone with Comp-Tac and they do not suggest the Locking Paddle Holster for competiton use. The Locking Paddle goes against IDPA's daylight rule and would be disqualified.

They suggested the regular paddle holster. They said 9/10 competition shooters that use Comp_tac products use the regualr paddle holster on their belts.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  16. Fire_Medic

Take their advice, the Belt holster slides around on you, the paddle is more secure.

17. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I wear the 5.11 Pro pants with the belt loop purposefully designed by by them to saddle the middle portion of a gun holster. I'd say that it's about as perfect and non-moving as can be.

Even with wearing jeans there's so very little room for movement I'm surprised this is even coming up.

18. Fire_Medic

I work part time in a gun shop and we use Truspec pants and polos as our uniforms. The comp-tac belt holster would move around easily when in the range shooting wearing these pants and a Wilderness instructors belt. The paddle stays put. I don't know if it's the 3M coating on the pants this company uses or what, but this was "MY" experience. Also where the belt loops sit on the pants and the way the belt holster was designed I could not put the pistol exactly where I wanted it, this is a non issue with the paddle as well.

Just my $0.02 :wavey:

19. Flipz

Flipz

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  20. Fire_Medic

Yes it's a great package, if you're going to shoot competition you're going to need at least 2 spare mags right?
    :dunno: