close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Random Mis-Fire Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jbiel, Oct 17, 2004.

1. jbiel

jbiel

I recently purchased my G23, brand new and have about 1000 rounds through it. Last time to the range, I had a couple issues with mis-fires, that I wrote off as bad ammo. Because it was a different area’s through the clip, wasn’t any real consistency with it.

My fiancé and I decided to go to the range today and experienced the issue 10 fold. I would load a fresh clip and was able to fire one round, the gun would cycle the next round into the chamber, I’d pull the trigger and no fire. I first thought bad ammo again, but the bullet had no impact print. This kept happening over and over. Some bullets with impact prints. others without.

I am at the point that this cannot be an ammo issue, because today I tried two different manufactures (WWB and Blazer) an experienced the issue with both. I haven’t had any other issues with the gun other than this.

Only mod I have done to the gun is an extended slide release.

To further the problem, there are only two gun shops in the area, which I am not sure if they can service my glock. Beyond that, I know they will not accept shipment for a gun either.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful as I want to the get issue corrected so I may continue enjoying my gun.

2. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

If you'll surf around this board, you'll find a lot of discussions about proper nomenclature, eg., "clips" v. "mags", "bullets" v. "cartridges", etc., none of which will help your current problem.

Your problem, more-than-likely, is caused by debris and/or oil in the firing pin (some call it a "striker") channel. You should only use four or five very small drops of oil for lubing your Glock. There should never, ever be any oil anywhere near the firing pin channel.

You don't need to find a gun shop to have your problem fixed. Glocks are very simple machines, and most of us here on GT "fix" our own Glocks. You need to disassemble the slide and clean out the firing pin channel. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Stick the little tube that comes with the brake cleaner into the firing pin channel and blast away! Others also use Q-tips for the job.

Easy-to-follow, illustrated instructions can be found on glockmeister.com, under "Free Services", or on topglock.com. It's so simple, I'm convinced that even a DemocRAT could be trained to do it, given no time constraints. :)

3. jbiel

jbiel

I also forgot to mention that the gun has a stainless steel guide rod with stock spring.

But from WalterGA's view, it sounds like nothing of the sort.

4. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Things to check:
    1. Is the chamber clean enough to allow the round to completely chamber. I doubt this is the problem.
    2. When the slide cycles is it going into battery. Case length can affect this. You might get a chamber gage to help.
    3. Remove the striker and make sure the channel is not obstructed. Clean it with a Q Tip. Then visualy check the channel for obstructions. As mentioned above no oil the the channel.

I shoot a G23 and was having intermitant out of battery problems. I found some my reloaded cases had lengthened enough to keep the slide from going into battery.

If you're shooting new ammo the chance of the cases being too long is remote but worth checking.

Good Luck.

5. jbiel

jbiel

I only shoot new ammo and tried two different manf. today when the issue happened.

I am going to have a friend properly show me how to break down and clean the gun completely, then I will make another trip to range to check things out.

6. jbiel

jbiel

The gun cyles completely fine, because I was able to successfully go through 15rnds in a row without the issue, then it happened. I removed that round, noticed no strike mark on the primer. I chambered another round and it fired fine, then it happened again. Sometimes it's not one after the other, but I could get 3-4rnds through, then it would happen. No consistency what so ever.

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Definitely need to make sure that the chamber is clean. Also, if the striker spring is extra-power and the recoil spring is weak, the slide can be pulled slightly out of battery. I'd start with blasting out the striker channel.

If I owned a G23 (but I won't, as I'll never own a .40), I'd use a 22# spring, instead of the factory strength spring.