Rally to Restore Sanity

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AngryPanda, Oct 30, 2010.

1. AngryPanda

AngryPanda Is he a troll?

2. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

They say they've been planning it since February, but I know a lot of the fervor for it was made up of people who were mad that Glenn Beck's rally got so much attention and wanted to "strike back" somehow (even though that rally turned out to be innocuous). :upeyes:

The content of the rally didn't bother me, but I didn't get to see much. What I *did* see was fairly short, and seemed to be little more than "let's get a crowd together to... get a crowd together". The message Jon Stewart gave at the end was pretty darned good for calling people out regardless of politics, but the timing of the rally is what makes me wonder.

Regardless of the rally's political coloring (none, supposedly), the base of people this activated was almost entirely left-leaning. If the rally was there to motivate people to have rational discourse before an election, why did they have the rally only a few days before it was time to vote? Most days, I really don't think Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are part of a liberal conspiracy, and that they are just comedians who happen to be left-leaning behind the scenes. In fact, most days I really respect Jon Stewart for his willingness to criticize people across political lines. Today, as much as I like what he said, I really have to think that this rally was planned to motivate the left-leaning voting base that is their audience right before they have to decide whether to go to the ballot box or open a bag of Cheetos.

I did read from someone who admitted that the rally had caused him to think twice before launching into a liberal tirade when responding to a news story about Rush Limbaugh saying something he'd agreed with. So maybe it will do some good.

3. BobbyT

BobbyT

You mean the Rally to Get a Bunch of Bratty College Kids to Keep the Control Freaks in Power and Keep the Detroitification of America Alive?

4. canis latrans

canis latrans

I saw one report that said the attendance was close to the size of Beck's.

I'd like to see if that is true.

(I was AT Beck's rally....it was HUGEMONGUS!)

5. jbh2000

jbh2000

As one of the left-leaning wackos people around here are always whining about, let me say just one thing...can you folks understand the word JOKE. Everybody gets so worked up about everything anymore, including the nutjobs from both sides, that I believe that Stewart and Colbert might have actually have had a somewhat altruistic reason for the rally. BUT,
    don't ever forget that they're not in business to make you laugh, they're in business just like all the Republicans, to make a buck. Someone was complaining on one of the other threads about limited access on the press platform, like they were going to try to fudge the attendance reports to make Beck look bad. Sheeze! Beck can manage that all by himself. They limited access so they could have more exclusive footage for their follow-up shows. Wow, I worked myself into a rant. Sorry about that.:whistling:

6. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

I'm a right winger and I watched a little bit of it. Some of it was mildly entertaining and as some have said it was lead by comedians and I don't think it was meant to be anything but entertainment. If it was supposed to have a serious message then they didn't put it out there very well but again I didn't see the whole thing. As far as crowd size it seemed pretty large with mostly college aged liberals.