Home > Political & Other Important Issues > Leisure > Woof Memorial Critter's Corner > Raisins KILL dogs snopes says TRUE

Raisins KILL dogs snopes says TRUE

  1. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

    Subject: Please pass this on to anyone you know that has dogs
    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet.
    My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a
    canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
    started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the
    owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately.
    In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet,and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....

    Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and
    they said to give I V fluids at 1 = times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
    than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.
    At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
    urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.
    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
    continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
    diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
    couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
    BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated
    and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.
    This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.
    Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
  2. Yes, it's true. And there are a great many other ordinary foods that are toxic to dogs. That is why we have the "Things I don't eat" sticky above.

    Of course, just as with chocolate, turkey fat and skin, onions and such, not all dogs react the same. It just isn't worth taking the chance to find out.
  4. The fruit of the grape has been posted on Veterinarian web sites for some time as a possible threat to dogs for some times. Not all dogs react to the grape proteins but enough do to make it a concern for the pet's owners.

    It didn't take snopes to determine or disseminate that fact.

    Old News.

    An aside:

    Caffeine, and other chemicals, found in chocolate builds up over time in both dogs and cats to toxic and deadly levels. Their bodies cannot cleanse themselves of the chemicals and it will kill them. As much as they like chocolate you will eventually kill you pet cat of dog by feeding them chocolate. If your vet says otherwise clue them in on the facts ASAP!

    Snopes addresses this issue too.

    Onions and Garlic make cats anemic too.