Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have three favorite loads,

#1- 8 grains Power Pistol, clocks 1200 from 6 inch barrel, I've heard others say about 1150 from a 4.6-5 inch barrel. Seems like a match power wise to remington UMC 180, great for target shooting

#2 & 3 hot loads- 8.5 Power Pistol OR 10.5 Blue dot. Both clock 1300 FPS from 6 inch barrel. Hot loads. I've never had issues with the Rainier tumbling, falling apart etc at this power level by the way.

I always use winchester WLP primers and 1.255 length

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Some guys have ok luck pushing velocities with this bullet type, but I have had best results keeping things under 1100 fps. 1000 fps is really sort of a sweet spot for this bullet type. Playing above and below that mark will reveal loads that your gun likes.

In today's environment, finding whatever powder you can is the hard part. After going through component shortages before, I was determined to get as much diverse load data as possible. So I have found quite a few powders that will do the job.

A charge in the low to mid sixes of WSF work well. As does low eights of Accurate no. 5. Low nines of Blue Dot make a dirty gun, but good groups. Accurate no. 7 in the high nines is good too. I've also burned up a lot of 800-X with plinkers at about 8 grains. Accurate no. 9 in the mid-upper 12s. Really, there are a lot of powders that work fine. Cross check my numpers against published data please. I make typos. Of course, none of these are close to max loads, so there is some room to experiment with higher velocities. You might have better luck with groups at higher velocities than I have.

To give a blanket recommendation, I would advise shooting (nice pun, hah!) for modest velocities. Quicker burning powders fit that bill well, and I have had really good results with A5 and WSF.

You'll probably get better results by seating and crimping in separate steps. Do not crimp more than enough to just remove the bell.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Deleted.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some guys have ok luck pushing velocities with this bullet type, but I have had best results keeping things under 1100 fps. 1000 fps is really sort of a sweet spot for this bullet type. Playing above and below that mark will reveal loads that your gun likes.

In today's environment, finding whatever powder you can is the hard part. After going through component shortages before, I was determined to get as much diverse load data as possible. So I have found quite a few powders that will do the job.

A charge in the low to mid sixes of WSF work well. As does low eights of Accurate no. 5. Low nines of Blue Dot make a dirty gun, but good groups. Accurate no. 7 in the high nines is good too. I've also burned up a lot of 800-X with plinkers at about 8 grains. Accurate no. 9 in the mid-upper 12s. Really, there are a lot of powders that work fine. Cross check my numpers against published data please. I make typos. Of course, none of these are close to max loads, so there is some room to experiment with higher velocities. You might have better luck with groups at higher velocities than I have.

To give a blanket recommendation, I would advise shooting (nice pun, hah!) for modest velocities. Quicker burning powders fit that bill well, and I have had really good results with A5 and WSF.

You'll probably get better results by seating and crimping in separate steps. Do not crimp more than enough to just remove the bell.
I agree with taterhead about making some softer shooting plinkers with faster burning powders. Lately I've been loading like say out of 100 rounds, 20 ground ponders at 1300 FPS then then 80 lighter loads, my favorite faster powder for moderate loads is Unique by the way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts