Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just purchased my new Glock 19 and plan to carry it concealed. My question is-if I get caught in the rain and my new Glock gets wet how are most of you who carry dealing with this problem? Are you doing a basic cleaning job or are you fieldstripping the pistol down even further. Is there something special I need to do under these circumstances?
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
They have thrown glocks in the mud and ran over them with big trucks, and they still work just fine.

Just wipe it off, maybe a lil lube

·
H&K All The Way
232 Posts
Hi,
I just purchased my new Glock 19 and plan to carry it concealed. My question is-if I get caught in the rain and my new Glock gets wet how are most of you who carry dealing with this problem? Are you doing a basic cleaning job or are you fieldstripping the pistol down even further. Is there something special I need to do under these circumstances?
Thanks
I've gotten a few weapons wet before. I stripped them down to make sure all surfaces were dry (from water), basically wiped down all metal parts and re-lubed them. Takes maybe 3-5 minutes per weapon. A small and simple investment if you ask me; better safe than sorry.

As far as to the endurance of your typical firearm under prolonged moisture, I really can't say. When it rains at the range and my weapons get wet, I pack up and go home. I would imagine, however, unless it's raining seawater, most weapons can deal with several hours of moisture. Surely there are others here who can provide greater detail.

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
I live in S Florida and it's the rainy season. I have had my glock 26 on me while riding my motorcycle and driving in torrential downpours for 20+ minutes on my way to work before. No rain gear. Just soaking wet from head to toe.

Cars and trucks drive next to me in flooded roads and constantly shoot water at my legs and hip where the glock is at from stop light to stop light.

I have then do nothing with the glock for 8 hours sometimes while working and when I come home I dry and lube it. So far it always goes bang :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just keep one of those little umbrellas that comes in the fru-fru drinks and if it starts raining I open it up and stick it in the top of my holster.

On a serious note, you're good to go. If your gun gets real soaked then as the others have said, just wipe down and re-lube. Glocks are tough and don't mind a bit of foul weather.

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
If it's "other than a Glock" I take time immediately and hose it down with brake cleaner then oil it.

If it's a Glock I'll do it when I get around to it. The only thing I've ever seen rust on my Glocks is the slide stop thumb piece after I wore one in an undershirt for a whole day outside in the summer.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Being outside in Florida, I constantly sweat all over my G26. I wipe it down about once a week. No rust here. This gun has been soaked in downpours probably 5 times in the past couple of years. No big deal. There are actually guys here who wash their glocks in the dishwasher.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Hurricane Katrina had officers walking around in salt water for hours and they reissued the weapons after inspection, and all was fine!
I can't pull the article but remember reading it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i deal with rain by carrying a glock.

glocks are impervious to rain...and sweat...and blood...and prolly even tears for that matter. :supergrin:

seriously, though. you don't have to worry about getting your glock soaked. it will dry. it will not rust. (i run with mine every other day. in the process i get it literally soaked in sweat...which is much worse than rain because of the salt. i clean it maybe 4 times a year. it has no rust on it and has never failed to go bang.)

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
I took my Glock 36 on a canoe trip. Fell in the water twice and got soaked in a rain storm for about an hour. Got to camp, field stripped it and dried it with a paper towel. Didn't even have any gun oil with me.

3 days later I finally got home and detail stripped it. Gun was fine, not a spot of rust.

Don't worry about a little rain, just dry it off when you get home.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Don't worry. They shoot under water. Oh wait, pretty much any metalic cartridge firing weapon will fire underwater, so heck I don't know. Why not just put it in a baggie?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts