RAID 1 Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PBCounty, Sep 3, 2007.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

Hello,

I've got a new Dell Vostro 200 running Windows XP Pro. It has two identical IDE drives. I wish to setup RAID 1 between the two...only to find out that RAID 1 is not supported in XP Pro.

I seem to have no option but to setup RAID via hardware. How can I tell if my motherboard has a built in RAID controller? If it does not, can I install a standard RAID hardware controller or will I have problems since Dell is proprietary?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. colsankey

colsankey

Your fine and hardware raid is much better than software anyways ;)

I did a serch on google for "raid 1 on vostro 200" and came up with a ton of hits, but the PDF menaul on the Dell site (i used canadian and just pulled the setup manual)came up with:

About RAID Configurations
    This section provides an overview of the RAID configuration that you might have selected when you purchased your computer. Although several RAID configurations are available, Dell offers only RAID level 1 for its Vostro computers. A RAID level 1 configuration is recommended for the data integrity requirements of digital photography and audio.

The Intel RAID controller on your computer can only create a RAID volume using two physical drives. If a third drive is present, then that drive cannot be made part of a RAID volume using the Intel RAID configuration program, although it can be used as a spare drive in a RAID 1 configuration. However, if four drives are present in your computer, then each pair of drives can be made into a RAID level 1 volume. The drives should be the same size in order to ensure that the larger drive does not contain unallocated (and therefore unusable) space.

But note -- Based on the size of the Vostro system, the 2nd part would be less applicable as these systems typically only have room for 2 drives in the chasis.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

So there is some hope. Thanks. I guess I can contact Dell on the issue.

4. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Look in your bios.. if you have hardware raid on your mobo it will have to be enabled and set be be booted from in the bios...

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

6. PBCounty

PBCounty

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

8. PBCounty

PBCounty

Washington,

I owe you a beer, coffee, water, whatever you want. Information from Dell was hard to come by, I checked myself. Your info was most helpful. The PC I purchased was not for home use, but for someone's business. They relied on me to RAID 1 the unit that I picked out for them, and I was on a timeline. Every other source I checked after delivery simply stated "XP Pro cannot RAID 1." I will do my research before the purchase next time. Everything I read claimed XP Pro was RAID capable....they just left out the fact that XP was only RAID 0 capable.