Radioactive Waste, and what to do with it.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I thought this video was interesting, if brief.

Full disclosure: I'm in favor of nuclear energy, but it sure takes a special type of infrastructure to maintain. I hear we're testing ways to make nuclear energy without the harsh waste left over.....or something to that effect. But I know of it only in passing, no details specifically. It sure would make disposing the waste easier.

I'm in favor of shooting it out into space (I admit I don't know how realistic that is), but that would require specially made rockets and billions of dollars, not to mention the support of Congress......and good luck with that.

Discuss.

2. cowboyreally

cowboyreally

did not Pres Obama sh_Can Yucca Mountain repository for nuclear waste in 2010 ? DOE withdrew license application and just dropped all the work and money that went into the Yucca Mountain
    project. They created a bigger mess and more dangerous on site storage problems.. They did not care about our safety and long term energy production from nuclear fuels. This on site storage has to be addressed pretty soon. Nuclear waste can get messy.

Fred Hansen, janice6, Paul53 and 3 others like this.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Judging from the video, it looks like Harry Reid played his own role in it too.

4. Deltic

Deltic

5. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

In before resident political theorists propose that we dump it on countries or US states full of people whose lives presumably have less value due to different political leanings (ie Middle East, California, etc).

6. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

That's preposterous.

Who wants a Godzilla sized prius driver?
    It would drink ALL the coffee :p

pgg00, ScarFace88, RenoF250 and 6 others like this.
  7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Shoot it into the Sun.
    Using 10 mm.
    What?
    :)

8. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

The problem with launching it into space is what if something goes wrong with the launch? That would not end well.

The govt just needs to tell Nevada or Arizona they are sticking a nuclear dump site in the middle of nowhere and they need to deal with it. Maybe along the border...two birds with one stone there.

9. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

How very arrogant of you.

I live in Vegas. I’m happy to have your nuclear waste. It will just cost you 10000 per year, for every citizen in Nevada.

janice6, Paul53 and Rizzo like this.
  10. Deltic

Deltic

The problem with launching into space is that it would take several thousand very expensive rockets and it is totally unnecessary. All of that radioactivity was in the ground before we dug it up. We could mix the waste with concrete, pour the waste& concrete into containers and put it right back into the mines it came out of. If you say 88,000 tons it sounds like a huge deal. Like I said before think of a cube 50 yards across and that should put it in perspective.

janice6 and Paul53 like this.
  11. powernoodle

powernoodle

You are the first person to suggest that.

12. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Night sights....lots and lots of night sights.

pgg00, professor kv, janice6 and 6 others like this.
  13. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

Could you argue that there’s a better place for it than on some place in Nevada in the desert? The feds own 90% of the state already.

Deltic, Paul53 and Atomic Punk like this.
  14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

To my mind, the problem is the mismatch between human nature and the radio active half-life of many of the materials. Conceptually putting it in one big place, centralizing safety and security has to be the best answer to a bad proposition. I think the big problem that idea is forcing it on the residents of a given state. My in laws live in Las Vegas, they love Harry Reid because they credit him with killing the Yucca Mountain project.

One time I was on a flight between the coasts. It was a DC10 and as it turned out I was seated next to a person who was a nuclear safety engineer. We got to talking about nuclear power and he asked what I thought of it. I told him I was a little circumspect about it. He was surprised and asked why, given how many safety measures were built into every element of the system, I was skeptical.

I said, "well, take this DC10 we are on, if you had walked up to any of the engineers who were standing around when they rolled this baby out of the hanger for the first time and asked them what the chance was one of those big engines might fall off on takeoff killing everyone on board, they would have told you, zero chance! And would have proceeded to explain the design of the pylons, etc.

I went on to say that I felt the risk of, "humans not being able figure every adverse possibility out" seemed like a reasonable risk when it comes to aircraft safety. I told him I was a little less sanguine when you start talking about materials that have a half life longer than than man has walked upright. :)

I finished with, "I am actually not down on nuclear energy, it is more people I don't have faith in". He didn't speak to me the rest of the flight. :(

gwalchmai and Jade Falcon like this.
  15. handloader109

handloader109

Shoot into space? We dont have the means to shoot thousands of TONS into space. Pounds, but tons? Fergit it.
    Yep, border wall. Sounds like a good plan.

Nah, wont work either.

Best would be pick a state, or pick three, preferably where you already have military presence close by. (Miles, not feet)
    Dig hole a few hundred feet deep. Cast Into solid concrete. Can't get back out without lots of time and cost. Fill up hole when you think it's full. Put large fence up. Have military add to their guard shift, pass by once per day or week or month.
    Sorry, Arizona, Washington, Montana new Mexico, Utah, Idaho. Plenty of good locations.
    With zero consequences to current or future residents.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Atomic Punk likes this.
  16. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Send it to California.

Hartford, professor kv and gwalchmai like this.
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I agree. But the citizens of Nevada shouldn’t just made to accept it without compensation. NV doesn’t have nuclear power. It would be disinguinous for other states just to lay it on us and tell us to just, “deal with it”.

If your state has nuclear power plants and you need Nevada to store your waste. Pay the man.

Rizzo and professor kv like this.
  18. Taz

Taz

Was that stuff not radioactive before it was dug up??

Why can’t it go back to where it came from. Mix it with concrete, fill up drums and put back into a mine. Don’t we have plenty of idle mines spread across the nation???

As for Nevada; was the government going to steal the land from the natives again or were they going to buy it and employ locals to build and secure it?? If so, weren’t they getting compensated for the land already? Maybe the state could charge property tax as well...

Obama’s on-site storage idea (if true) was retarded and like Obamacare designed to kill the industry.

I do like the idea of lots of little breeder reactors turning waste into $$. Wouldn’t that be kind of like recycling??? Guess we are opposed to that today.

Atomic Punk likes this.
  19. plp

plp

It is hard to find any real science about nuclear energy.

Ever since 3 Mile Island, the ecoterrorists have made junk science acceptable as proven fact, and just keep piling it on any time it looks like we are headed to more modern, efficient reactors.

pgg00, FullClip, janice6 and 4 others like this.
  20. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

France gets most of its power from reactors.
    They are using 3rd generation systems and reprocessing the waste to a point where the waste from years of power fit in a crate the size of an office desk.
    We shoot ourselves in the foot because.....politics.
    Rather than delaying power plants with lawsuits for decades, we would be so much more advanced technologically.

But it’s not worth the trouble in the US.

pgg00, FullClip, janice6 and 2 others like this.