Glock Talk banner

Radio antennas: show yours

1379 Views 46 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  uravan
Share yours. Looking for some ideas for fiberglas antenna mounting with minimum damage to the truck. Ram1500
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
6,080 Posts
When making a long haul on the interstates I'll run the K40 with a magnet mount acquired in 1977. Still works great.

Liquid Cone Camera accessory Gas Input device

Reactions: Amundsen

· Registered
6,080 Posts
CB?
great. Any traffic on it?
Not much, and what little there is is mostly drivers just trying to stay awake. Every once in a while though a morsel comes along that makes it worthwhile.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
Not enough information. You didn’t even state what kind of radio as that makes a huge difference. If you are talking a CB, don’t waste a second of your time or a dime of your money. I run close to 600 miles a night and don’t run one anymore. Only complete fricking morons on that band anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,174 Posts
Not enough information. You didn’t even state what kind of radio as that makes a huge difference. If you are talking a CB, don’t waste a second of your time or a dime of your money. I run close to 600 miles a night and don’t run one anymore. Only complete fricking morons on that band anymore.

OP is talking about a UHF repeater/radio thingy which band freq is somewhere out of the range of amateur radio spectrum. Antenna is a fiberglass 0 DBi stubby looking of brand I am not familiar with.

· Registered
2,174 Posts

What kind of truck do you run? Run east/west coast or all over?

· Registered
9,086 Posts
OP is talking about a UHF repeater/radio thingy which band freq is somewhere out of the range of amateur radio spectrum. Antenna is a fiberglass 0 DBi stubby looking of brand I am not familiar with.
It's GMRS, it's getting pretty popular with the jeep crowd, overlander's and some truckers. It's actually catching on pretty good in my area, it's actually busier than 2M or ham 70cm. We have a GMRS club that is inching it's way into RACES and other emergency comms around here.

· Registered
2,174 Posts
It's GMRS, it's getting pretty popular with the jeep crowd, overlander's and some truckers. It's actually catching on pretty good in my area, it's actually busier than 2M or ham 70cm. We have a GMRS club that is inching it's way into RACES and other emergency comms around here.
Thanks for the clarification.
In my region, the jeep crowd just uses Ham Radio VHF radios (Baofeng HT) w/o license and transmit on Amateur freq, be it on a repeater input/output or whereever they spin the dial. just pirating.

· Registered
9,086 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.
In my region, the jeep crowd just uses Ham Radio VHF radios (Baofeng HT) w/o license and transmit on Amateur freq, be it on a repeater input/output or whereever they spin the dial. just pirating.
I hate when people do that. It’s not hard to get a tech ham ticket. GMRS you pay $70 for a 10 year license, no test. And the license is good for anyone in your immediate family/household. But it’s only certain frequencies on UHF. I have a Tech ham ticket and a GMRS license.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
I would go simple magnet mount as those antennas are small. Antenna tune (I believe) isn’t quite as critical as with the lower frequency.

· Registered
6,080 Posts
Has any other radio service taken over what was the role of CB's and interstate highway travel a few decades back? It's be great to give and get a head's up regarding hazards up ahead.

· Registered
2,174 Posts
I hate when people do that. It’s not hard to get a tech ham ticket. GMRS you pay $70 for a 10 year license, no test. And the license is good for anyone in your immediate family/household. But it’s only certain frequencies on UHF. I have a Tech ham ticket and a GMRS license.
Check out SkyHublink.com.
This is ust one of many radio internet sites that use radio-internet-radio (and more) that you can gear up and be able to talk all around the world, plus locally, plus (sky is the lilmit) that have equally capacity. My local antilog repeater has the proper configuration to connect into skyhub. Your tech license will work.
Keep encouraging your jeepers to get their ticket. Another tool if you or someone in your party are in a medical emergency and no cell coverage.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.