close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Radar Antenna Locations in Chevy Impala

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by G17Man, Mar 22, 2010.

1. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

Odd question, I know.....

Where/how do your agencies mount the front radar antenna in the newer Chevy Impalas? I have been getting a lot of harmonic issues and decreased range with the location my front antenna is currently (top of windshield, to the right of rearview).

Pictures are helpful if available.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. JTipper.45

JTipper.45

The Impalas have always been bad about that. We have Stalker radars in ours. The antennas are mounted in the u shaped brackets on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. They are low profile and have a swivel base. This was the only location where we were not getting feedback from the fan. If you having problems with the radar keeping a good patrol speed you may want to see if your radar has a VSS option where it takes a speed reading from the car and not from the roadway.

3. Hearmoretalkless

Hearmoretalkless

Or pressure your bosses to buy real police cars... ;)

4. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

You can thank the stupid *** windshield curve Chevy used.

Ours were in the center of the dash angled slightly.

5. CQuesnel

CQuesnel

We have a K band Genesis antenna mounted in the center of the windshield, just under the rear view mirror. In our 2nd Impala the KA band Genesis antenna is on a mount that attaches to the passenger's side sun visor bracket.

The one in my car (with the antenna under the rear view mirror) gets some feedback from the fans, so I try not to use them when running radar. Can't vouch for the other car, since I don't use it much.

6. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

We use mostly Kustom Signals Golden Eagle Radars, I mounted the Ant which are for the most part KA on the same mount as the radar on the center of the dash. This goes for Implas and our Chargers. No real issues

7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

My understanding of the VSS interface on our MPH radar units (Bee III) is that it is used to compare patrol speed on the radar to patrol speed on the VSS and then "blank" the patrol speed in moving mode if there is a significant difference. This helps eliminate shadowing. We saw a particular problem with this when the VSS box was connected to the radar in one car, but not to the car. It basically made the radar not work in moving mode. We disconnected the VSS box (until it could be wired to the car) and the radar started working properly again.