close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

R.I.P. "Molly", our Beagle puppy

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by esrice, Feb 9, 2006.

1. esrice

esrice My two Blocks

I just recently came across the "Critter's Corner" forum, so I thought I would share that our Beagle puppy, "Molly", at only 6 months old, passed away last week.

Back in late September, my parents, who live in the country back in the woods, called and said that my little sister had come across 3 tiny Beagle pups lost in the woods. My sister, a huge animal lover, took them inside and fed them and cleaned them up. There were two boys and one girl. After making some telephone calls, they found that the puppies belonged to a local breeder and had recently escaped. Unfortunately 4 puppies escaped, and they never did find the fourth.

Happy to have found her puppies, the breeder offered a free pup to my parents. They were not interested, but they called and asked me and my wife if we wanted a Beagle. We had toyed with the idea of getting a dog before, and having just bought our first house, we were anxious to finally have a pet. After taking one look at the puppies, we instantly fell in love with the little girl.

At only 7 weeks old, Molly was welcomed into our home. She was the prettiest dog I've ever seen. She was so tiny and looked so sad, with her big floppy ears dipping into her water bowl as she drank. I have many found memories that I will keep with me always.

At about 5 months, Molly became ill and wouldn't eat and couldn't go #2. When she began laying on the floor and moaning, my wife and I took her to the vet. Molly was known to sneak off with an old klenex or pull toilet paper off the roll, so the vet suspected that she had a blockage in her bowel. She gave us some medicine, which we gave Molly, and over the next 48 hours she was back to normal.

Then, on the night of Wednesday, February 1, 2006, my wife called me while I was at work. She said that Molly was acting sick again. I told her to give her some of the medicine and call me if she got worse. Less than 30 minutes later my wife called again, this time panicked and screaming. I immediatly rushed home, but it was too late. I found out later that in a period of about 45 minutes, Molly went from normal pup to sick and sluggish, to unable to stand and barely breathing, to not breathing at all.

We rushed her to the emergency vet but it was too late. My precious little movie watchin' buddy had died.

The vet later explained that Molly's small intestine was twisted, which not only allowed no food to pass, but also no blood to flow. She surmised that Molly's recent growth spurt might have pushed her over the edge.

This has hurt me more than I thought it would. I still find her chew toys hidden around the house. My wife wakes up in the middle of the night and thinks she's heard her collar jingle. I know some people will say "its just a dog", but she was really a young member of our family.

Sorry for the book, but this has actually made me feel a bit better by getting it out in writing. Below are some pictures of Molly.

After being found in the woods - Molly is far left (6 weeks old)
    [​IMG]

Molly's first day at our house (7 weeks old)
    [​IMG]

Halloween night (3 months old)
    [​IMG]

Playing with tennis ball (4 months old)
    [​IMG]

On couch (5 1/2 months old)
    [​IMG]

R.I.P. Molly "Wally" Rice -- August 3, 2005 to February 1, 2006

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh wow, what a bittersweet story.

You gave Molly a good life, albeit a short one :)

Our dog has been gone for several years now....it was just this week I finally cleaned his fur out of his brush. We haven't ran across any of his toys but that is only because he was a one-toy dog and he wouldn't play with any others after that toy was taken from him.

We used to have a "pet" crow. Mr Crow spent every summer with me. Three years ago, he didn't show up. I still am looking for him...people say he was just a crow. Yeah? Well, he was *my* crow ;)

Only those that love a fur baby understand ~hg

3. Stillhuntn

Stillhuntn

Take comfort in knowing that you provided Molly with a great life. It is tough and a lot of people do not understand. Cute little fur babies are so easy to get attached to. Take comfort knowing that Molly is no longer sick and is now enjoying play time with her lost sibling.
    Rick

4. walkin man

walkin man

I am very sorry to hear of your lost pup. Keep her memories and always know that she returned as much or more than she took. There will be others that you will get attached to as well but none will replace her.

walkin man

5. poperb

poperb

I am so sorry to hear about Molly, I will tell you that it took my wife one year to talk me into getting a dog, I was so against any pets. Well finally I gave in and got a 6 month old beagle. Little did I know that I would begin to become the most attached member of the family to the dog. My dogs name is puddles and she is very sweet. Please don't tell my wife I ever posted this she would be soooooo happy. I understand now what a loss that must be for you and your wife. Here is a pic, sorry about the red glare in the eyes

6. coolhand

coolhand Very Senior Millennium Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Molly... RIP Molly.;1

7. chance3290

chance3290 Fear Dli

I am very sorry about your loss. She was a beautiful pup, and she looked very happy. You gave her a good life.

8. esrice

esrice My two Blocks

Thanks for all the kind replies.

I take comfort in the fact that at least we gave Molly 5 more months of life than she might have had.

Everyone hug your pets tonight.

9. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am so sorry to hear about this esrice........I got tears when I saw what you and your wife went though and you had NO clue what was wrong with her.......

Maybe you guys should try and get another?? Maybe contact the breeder and the next time they have a litter, you guys can go have a look.........

She was an adorable pup!!!! wow!!! ;w

10. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Those who share your sorrow send you big psychic hugs. Here is something that helped us with our sorrow.

-JP

I am Max

Someone brought me home from a pet store when I was so young I can’t even remember.
    She thought I was too much work, but my Mommy was there too, and she took good care of me.
    Ever since then, I’ve taken care of my Mommy the best I could.
    Whether making sure she knew one of those terrible “snowplows” was near by,
    Or just sitting close and gently nuzzling.

I have been your “Ambassador for the breed,”
    Your “Good Dog Carl,” always there with a friendly lean and a happy nub.
    We hiked, biked, bladed, talked, cuddled, snuggled.
    And what a happy backrest I would be for you,
    You could always lean on me, with never a grumble or complaint.

Mommy found my Daddy out on a field somewhere
    We had a talk, and he promised to always take good care of her,
    Even when I wasn’t around to do it.
    I decided he was good enough for her.

“To him, they’re just big sticks,” he sighs,
    “To us, that used to be a fence!”
    He laughs, I prance around with my stick, and we play tug.

One day they brought my fur-sister, Chrissy, home.
    She’s fun to play with, and she knows her place.
    Why did they have to bring home Eddie, though?
    He was o.k. as a pup, but now he thinks that I’m old, and he should be in charge of me. He bit me hard when I was just trying to teach him.
    So, I’m going to have to kill him. One of these days, I’ll get a chance to clear that up.

I knew right away when something changed inside Mommy.
    She took a test, and I think she must have passed, because they were happy and they hugged me and said I was right!
    One day I want to play with my friend and her family, and when I came home
    The little person was here.
    It was o.k. at first- I have always liked little people.
    But Mommy and Daddy are treating this one wrong.
    They treat it like it is higher than me.
    Eddie and Chrissie don’t mind at all,
    So I need to be the one to explain to Mommy and Daddy
    Where It fits in the pack.

I miss having Mommy all to myself.

I don’t like making Mommy cry. She calls it a “snarl,”
    And says for the first time she is afraid of what I might do.
    She worries that the bump on my rib is much bigger, and there may be more going on.
    I am just trying to explain that she can’t correct me for telling her where It belongs.

Mommy and Daddy are crying, but I’m not sure why. Usually it helps when I give kisses, but today it only makes them cry more.

We’re going somewhere- I love car rides!
    Always a new horizon, best met with flapping jowls
    Mommy and Daddy promise me it’s a wonderful place,
    Across a bridge
    A boundless place and time
    With infinite play and companionship and sunny naps,
    Where my joints and age will never again betray me.
    I know a candle burns to light my way
    And a brighter flame burns in my family’s hearts,
    Guiding us until we meet again in that happy land.

Forgive me when that time comes
    If I forget my manners, and jump up with happy ears to play
    No one can be perfect all the time.

June 1, 1996 – October 17, 2005