close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quit drinking...but now I don't know what to do about the Xmas party

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Nov 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I used to drink about a fifth of Bourbon a week. Not as much as some people but I think it's a lot. It was making me gain a lot of weight, and I felt like ****.

I've had some scare with my health, which made me quit drinking entirely a couple of weeks ago. In that time, I've been working out hard almost every single day, eating MUUUUCH healthier and without the booze, I'm down several pounds. My clothes are much looser on me, my stomach is shrinking, I feel great.

I still fight the urge to run into the kitchen and pour myself a drink. I'd love to. But I know it's a slippery slope that I'm fighting and I want to lose weight, get healthy and my doc told me to cut the drinking out and I am listening.

I work in a small office of about 12 people. I got transferred there after budget cuts eliminated my old job.
    My new office is EXTREMELY tight-knit and party together. Everything for them is a game or teamwork or hanging out, drinking and partying.

For the Christmas party, we apparently are playing a beer drinking game and other drinking games, blah blah blah.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to be the "wet blanket" there. But I don't want to drink any more. I of course, don't want to just sit there and make things awkward, nor do I want to no-show.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. hurley842002

hurley842002

Just tell them you don't drink, simple, I turned down plenty of things in High School, surely I could do the same as a grown man.

3. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Just tell them you can't drink because you are taking antibiotics and volunteer to referee the games... and leave early.

4. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

Just tell them you do not drink, no reasons why, you just do not. You are happy to play games while sipping on water, soda, juice, whatever. If they do not understand it, are they really people you want to work with?

Radam3, Jringo8769, Deltic and 5 others like this.
  5. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Be the designated driver. That's what I did at our agency Halloween party, and I had a blast.

You don't have to drink to have fun.

6. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

You can't drink and take certain OTC pain meds. Dance more.

7. 2bgop

2bgop

I stopped drinking a little over 3 years ago, my job entails a bunch of drinking, so it was a little hard to navigate, but the honest answer is just go and do exactly what you would have before, but don't drink. I know that answer seems over simplistic, but it is what works for me.

Order club soda with lime and carry on.

Mick's Lady, Caver 60, treg and 4 others like this.
  8. -JCN-

-JCN-

Can you call in sick to the Holiday party? I'm concerned that once there it'll be hard "to just say no" when the drinks are there and people are having fun. You're newly sober, protect that like a newborn baby seal. Don't let anything jeopardize it while you get your sea legs under you.

9. Randylahey53

Randylahey53

Since your office is so small, i'd just start telling everyone that you quit drinking because of some health issues. If they even remotely give any kind of "f" about you, they'll respect that and fill your cup with club soda for "flippy cup" instead of beer.

10. XDRoX

XDRoX

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been to party as a grown adult in which someone was ridiculed for not drinking or even offered a drink twice. There are plenty of recovering addicts at the parties I go to and it's very common for a person to not drink.

IMO there is no need to make up an excuse which will just lead to more lies. Simply say you don't drink and that's it.

11. BSA70

BSA70

Best thing to do? Just don't go. That's how you have to deal with deamons, avoid them at all cost. Believe me, you will fall if you start hanging around alcohol.

Hard to soar like and eagle when you hang out with buzzards.

light-switch, dvparrish, TBO and 4 others like this.
  12. 2bgop

2bgop

Having just reread the OP, I now agree with this. If you are fighting the urge to go pour a drink, this party sounds like a horrible idea.

dvparrish, Mick's Lady and Caver 60 like this.
  13. XDRoX

XDRoX

Maybe this will help. When someone who doesn't drink is offered a drink, they usually don't say no thanks. They say, "I don't drink." At least where I'm from people know what that means.

Caver 60, fg17, holyjohnson and 2 others like this.
  14. JK-linux

JK-linux

Just don’t go if you think it’s going to cause trouble refusing to partake. You’re sick, or the kid/wife/dog is sick, or whatever... If consequences of drinking were sufficient to make you want to stop, you owe it to yourself to do what you can to stay stopped.

15. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

-
    ^this
    that’s a great idea
    i’m usually the dd in my family as i don’t like getting drunk anyway and much prefer chocolate milk to mixed drinks.Since finding out about 2 years ago i have Crohn’s disease i can now use that as an excuse not to drink and no one ever questions it.

ZX12R and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  16. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Buy your self a bottle of mix that comes minus the liquor. I see those available for many varieties of drinks. Margarita mix without the Tequila is one example.

Then if someone asked what you are drinking, tell them, for example, a Margarita without the alcohol, or whatever the mix of your choice is.

Or not, as you see fit.

17. rfc1

rfc1

Bring a case of O'Doul's and have fun.

janice6 and Bruce M like this.
  18. Pope-onna-Rope

Pope-onna-Rope

Are you involved in AA ?

If not, why not, you have a drinking problem, plain and simple .

Junkies CAN'T hang out with addicts....it just doesn't work until you have the wherewithal to say NO and mean it and can stick to it under all kinds of social pressures.

Until then, stay away, no need to explain it, your decision isn't reliant on others perceptions. Be a man, man up .

Who has a job reliant on drinking ?
    A poster said it a few posts back, that his job ( entails a bunch of ) his drinking. Weird .

19. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

Don't play along with the "Games", pick out a corner or area, have a glass of something, wear a s&%t eating grin, mingle, talk, and enjoy the antics. It may just enforce the non drinking mentality you are on the edge of.
    Party Happily

Caver 60 and janice6 like this.
  20. 2bgop

2bgop

I usually say, "that wouldn't be a good idea". That shuts things down pretty fast, the one time it didn't, I followed it up with a, "go **** yourself". That worked also.