-durability
-cleanability

(least important)
cost
size/weight

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
This demo is so quiet, it's hard not to suspect something fishy going on, either switching ammo when the mask was put on, or camera/mic tricks.

I can't vouch for that particular YouTuber, but legitimate testers and experts say it's the best and I trust them. I have the CGS and can personally attest to it's quality. Both have minimal first round pop and nice tone.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
HTG Universal .224 by Vais Arms. No longer made and hard to find used. Tested and documented.

Bolt action rifle with CCI Quiet 710fps or 1050fps......super quiet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^thanks Bluescot, but already having enough trouble finding current production models in stock- silencer shop said 300% increase in orders in recent months, and some manufacturers are as low as 50% normal of production.

You know what's crazy, as far as this particular application, i.e. on rifle and not worried about sacrificing smaller and lighter in exchange for quieter, you'd think that tradeoff makes sense. But in Dead Air Arms own video, testing among a few different competitors, the smaller, much lighter weight Gemtech actually came in just under the dB rating of their own Mask 22 on a 16" rifle (though it was nowhere close to mask in quiet pistol usage).

Still, although I said I'd take bigger heaver to get quieter, if a smaller lighter (and cheaper) one is even more so in this application, I'd take that too.

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
^thanks Bluescot, but already having enough trouble finding current production models in stock- silencer shop said 300% increase in orders in recent months, and some manufacturers are as low as 50% normal of production.

You know what's crazy, as far as this particular application, i.e. on rifle and not worried about sacrificing smaller and lighter in exchange for quieter, you'd think that tradeoff makes sense. But in Dead Air Arms own video, testing among a few different competitors, the smaller, much lighter weight Gemtech actually came in just under the dB rating of their own Mask 22 on a 16" rifle (though it was nowhere close to mask in quiet pistol usage).

Still, although I said I'd take bigger heaver to get quieter, if a smaller lighter (and cheaper) one is even more so in this application, I'd take that too.
Keep in mind that "bigger and heavier" often means easier to care for. If weight isn't an issue always get the durable one. Steel and titanium over aluminum. Being able to tumble, dip, and ultrasonic clean a rimfire can is invaluable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Advantage being shorter wait time on form 1 stamp, the appeal of DIY aspect, and getting Ti at a lower price- because there are manufactured Al & SS rimfire suppressors with warranties for less, and cost of stamp is the same, which for me kind of minimizes how much differences in price matter in general (eg $250 DIY vs $300 for a SiCo Sparrow doesn't seem like much at all when it's really $475 vs $525 after stamp & trust), much less for what is effectively a lifetime purchase.

It is an interesting option though, and super tempting, especially while waiting 9 months to a year or more for your form 4. Because anything form one IS an incredible value in terms of wait time, and that's part of the price to me.

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
I'd be interested to see what some of the best Form 1 cans sound like. Most I see are relatively simple baffles compared to the top end Form 4 cans. The prices get pretty close so the wait time is the biggest difference.

·
CRB original
772 Posts
Have both a Dead Air Mask and AAC Element II.
The Element is hands down what your looking for. Significantly less FRP on pistol or rifle. K baffle design will always have the least amount of FRP over that of a conical baffle design.

TR

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
Have both a Dead Air Mask and AAC Element II.
The Element is hands down what your looking for. Significantly less FRP on pistol or rifle. K baffle design will always have the least amount of FRP over that of a conical baffle design.

TR
The AAC is a performer in sound reduction, but k baffles are a pain to disassemble if you shoot a lot. "Sealed" baffles are a big improvement.

·
CRB original
772 Posts
The AAC is a performer in sound reduction, but k baffles are a pain to disassemble if you shoot a lot. "Sealed" baffles are a big improvement.
Nope. 17-4 stainless. Comes with a pusher tool, and they come right out after over a 1000 rounds, and right into a dip solution for 12 hours.
Lighter
Quieter
Ease of maintenance
Full auto rated.

TR

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That one had been on my radar for sure. ONe of the most common complaints ive read about it, that I actually like is the tool you thread thru to extract the baffles, seems like a great idea to me. And perfect balance between premium materials yet still small and light weight.

It's funny, I'm noticing a trend, not that GT necessarily fits into, but every forum kind of has it's favorite manufacturer that is much more often recommended over others, vs. elsewhere where it might be backwards. Snipers hide, rimfire central, ar15, reddit etc. all seem to have different overwhelming favorites. The mask seems to be one that cuts through that, a little bit. Generally no one has anything bad to say about DA regardless what their first recommendation is.

Anyway I've since reordered my priorities almost on their head, and ranking the type of stuff you can know, on paper facts vs. the type of info that you can't really know until you have it (how easy to clean, dB ratings, durability); the latter of which is kind of all over the map, obviously depending on host, how often and how you clean, and else you've directly compared it to.

·
CRB original
772 Posts
Your thinking is sound. There is nothing wrong with the Mask at all. Maintenance is tooless, and also full auto rated so its it's tough, but you will have a pronounced FRP with the unit. I'm an admitted db chaser, so FRP and lowest overall db level are my priorities. In 9mm, I like the old Tirant 9mm with its K baffle design. I mistakenly bought an Obsidian 45, sold on the rumor it was quieter than dedicated 9mm cans. Have since learned that any over bore application will always be louder than a dedicated caliber can......but I digress. In the end, any of the AAC K baffle, and Rugged, and Dead Air conical baffle modular offerings are top notch.

TR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts