close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

quickj question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by troyboy30, Jan 1, 2005.

1. troyboy30

troyboy30

If I sign up for GSSF and attend the match in Conyers this year, Do I have to shoot or can I just come to watch and get my G23 looked at while I am there? Or Do I even need to sign up to just attend?

2. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

All you have to do is sign a waiver of liability at the registration office as a spectator and bring your 23 to an armorer.If you decide later to compete then you can join by signing up for GSSF there at the match and sign up to compete. I would suggest to ask to tag along with someone there, they will show you the ropes and would be more than happy to explain what is going on.;f

3. cgilbert

cgilbert

If you're going to go, just sign up and shoot! I guarantee it'll be the most fun you've ever had shooting your 23. Everyone is there to have fun and shoot, it won't even matter how you do.

Sign up with GSSF now so you can get their publication, or at least visit the website and read up on the events and how they work. You won't regret it.

4. cmzneb

cmzneb

Be prepared to shoot, because once you start watching you will want to do it! ;)

5. troyboy30

troyboy30

Oh I doubt that! lol

I have had my G23 for years and have shot it maybe 20 times. I think I got it in 98? who knows.

anyways, I applied for my carry permit so I am looking into training and such. I really like the fact that Georgia does not require it but I feel I need to be responsible and get some. I have handled guns all my life and they are not new to me, just handle rifles alot more than handguns. Maybe that's why I own 20 rilfes and one G23! lol

Thank's for the help guys. Who is going to the conyers event?

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I'll be there for the 7th straight year.;)

7. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

conyers is almost a year away

what are you doing january 15/16

we need to find you a ride to jacksonville!!!

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

then theres anderson and then statesville before conyers

9. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

The NW Florida contention of Team Carver Mounts will be at Conyers and Anderson. You really need to give GSSF a try, you can even tag along with us as long as you don't mind hanging around one REALLY old guy......right Don! ;f

Dan:cool:

10. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Face it Dan, you're no spring chicken yourself. ;f

11. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Now that's the POT calling the KETTLE black!;f

Dan:cool:

12. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Older, Spring Chickens, like Glenn (with two nn's) I heard he traveled with Noha on the Arc.

Pharaoh:)

13. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I'll be there if I am still in semi-retirement after the second hip replacement....Pharoah (Pete) have you talked to the Doc yet?;)

14. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Troyboy, I am sure you know your way around a gun & all but doesn't it seem like you should be really competent with your pistol before you carry it & stake your life on it? I know you said you were looking into training but shooting in some kind of competition will help you handle the gun under stress. The excitement of shooting with a timer running may be well beyond anything you have experienced but it pales in comparison to the thought of actually using your gun for self defense. If you have only fired your gun maybe 20 times in 6 or so years, just how proficient can you be with it, especially if the bad guy is coming at you & you have nowhere to go? Those 20 times are likely to get you killed. I hope I don't sound like I am lecturing you but carrying a gun, you need to know how to use it. GSSF is the perfect way to begin to learn proficiency with your gun. It is very beginner friendly yet challenging also. Give it a try, you may be surprised. :) Besides, there are some mighty friendly folks inviting you to come along with them. Good friends are not hard to find at a GSSF match. MLM

15. Fireglock

Yep, better to face the bad guys with your hands because you're more familiar and proficient with them.

16. troyboy30

troyboy30

point taken. I would love to make another event before conyers buy the time off for the year is filling up quickly. Between the multiple classes I will be taking with www.rangemaster.com , this years boat show, local bass tourneys and the B.A.S.S top 150 in march, turkey and deer season, I am running out of days off. I will keep an eye on the even calendar and see what I can make. Would love to meet some of you guys at the Conyers event! Old and with bad hips and all!

17. Fireglock

I wasn't serious. Look us up at Conyers, I've been known to spend a good bit of Saturday there myself, at least I do when I don't have vertigo! :( This year wasn't so much fun.

18. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Really Fireglock! You where just a space case this year. I hope now with you anchor out firmly in the mud that does not happen again.

Pharaoh

19. GJM89

GJM89

Pete, Actually I did go on a fishing trip once with a guy named Noah once, and his boat was the SS Ark , funny thing was we only caught two fish, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.;z ;z ;z ;z ;Q ;Q ;Q

20. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

No promises, but I'm going to try to make it because:
    a) it'll be a warm vacation from my latitudes by then (I hope) and
    b) that FL contingent is funny enough in print, I can't imagine how good their live show is. ;f

But there's alot of time between now and Conyers. Like you I've got a slew of long-guns, something of a bolt-action rifle loonie. But I left a G19 alone with a G17 one night and... oh boy. They started multiplying, then some great GSSF'ers invited me to practice with them, then I went to my first match. The rest, as they say, is hysteria. I'd submit you'll have alot of fun, so hedge your bets and bring a box of WWB along maybe and eye/ear protection. 90% of GSSF'ers will graciously show you the ropes and, unlike some other venues, are genuinely interested in seeing you do better.

Excuse me, gotta go now, I'm working on a project for an Unlimited gun and need to go post an excess McMillan stock for sale...;j
    ^c