close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quick Question on IPhone use and Apps.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

I know the Android phones have apps that allow you to manually stop apps that are running after you have stopped using them. I thought that once you stopped using them that they would automatically stop, but they don't. I have seen it on my Kindle Fire. I go in and manually shut them down long after I stopped using them.

I don't know if the same is true for the IPhone. If I am playing a game of Hearts or using some other app, if I stop using it and press the HOME button at the bottom, do the APPS that I was using stop too? If not, can you tell me what APP to get so that I can manually stop them after I am done with them?

Thanks

Nalajr

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

They just go into the background. Double press the home button and it'll show all the open apps down at the bottom of the screen. Touch one of them till they do the shaky thing and then you can close whichever ones you wish.

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

that's not quite right. Anything other than the app you have in the foreground (with a couple notable exceptions, mostly Apple's apps, or things that play music in the background), are suspended the second you switch to something else. They aren't running.

Killing them completely as described above forces them to re-launch, and can help if something is behaving oddly. But it's not like Android, where everything's running live all the time. Only the OS, Apple's apps, like mail, music, etc., and a few special exceptions like things that play music, stay live. EVERYTHING else suspends and is inactive.

App-killing or App-killing Apps are critical for Android. Anything you don't kill is sucking CPU cycles or battery or both. In iOS, you should never need to kill an app unless it's crashed and not working right. I end up doing this about once a month or less. But you get a LOT of misinformation on this, even from people who should know better.

4. chris in va

chris in va

Agree, the apps on my iphone get suspended.

5. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

just to be clear - you shouldn't need to worry about this. iOS will take care of it for you 99.9% of the time, and it'll just work auto-magically without any intervention from you.

It's good to know how to manually kill a crashed/unresponsive app, but it should be a great rarity in iOS, unless you're using lots of really crappy apps. This is by way of contrast with Android, where you MUST manage this, or your phone will choke and your battery will die.

Just ignore it unless you're having an active problem.

6. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Android devices running OS 2.3 (Gingerbread) or newer also suspend the apps in the background (for the most part) so a task killer is not necessary.