Quick info regards car accident/long term injury/etc

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Apr 8, 2010.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

As title says. A neighbor of mine got into a car accident. He is in 80s and was on highway and a lady ran a stop sign and he T-boned her. She was found 90% at fault. (after all he was on road, driving just under speed limit in geo metro) so he was 10% at fault. (for driving a "moterized" roller skate) :)
    He broke 5 ribs/ fair amount of bruising, and his ankle/heel was smashed. Due to his age they decided NOT to do major surgery... Spent a month in VA and is doing rehab and almost to cane.
    So what kind of "offer" should they expect from the other driver's insurance company? 82 yr, retired, has slowed down. (IIRC he used to walk 4+ miles a day rain/shine and was down to under 3 before accident) He was able to take care of his son's place when his son was "deployed" with FEMA. (half dozen horses, 10 cows, 6 calves, 1 bull) as well as LARGE "ORGANIC" garden when his son was dealing with aftermath of hurricane/tornado/etc. (to be fair he asked his son to cut down if he was going to be gone for weeks at a time)

I am sure there are "actuarial tables" that are used. Anyone know what ballpark they should expect/demand/be fair? They are kinda new to this thinking. I got idea they would have been happy with chicken feed.

2. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

3. vart

vart

I got hit by a commercial vehicle with a $1 million policy. I was mid-30's and in good health with a family to support.

My payout would be vastly different than someone's who gets hit by a little old lady with likely $50k or less in liability coverage.

4. larry_minn

Thing is I "pulled" a number out of thin air.... "They are going to send a rep to ask how is he doing/they hope he improves/are so sorry..... and here is a check for $30k...." The son said "Great" (as in he would have his dad sign/take the money and RUN... (the son not the father as he can't WALK without aid)... So I suggested they let the insurance rep talk,make offer, ask "is that all you can give?" mention him not being able to help with animals/plants, go for his walks,drive a stick shift, the son's time off.... and then say they will think on it. THEN have them go to lawyer and see what lawyer would claim they could do...

That is what I did. (basicly) and lawyer offered to take case for 33% of any amount he got OVER what the insurance company offered. (so if they offered $100 and he got them up to $300 he would take @ $66) and I would "gain" @ $134.

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

As Vart said, the insurance company will not offer anything more than the coverage the insured person had.

A lot of folks drive around all willy nilly grossly UNDER INSURED.

I don't know about your state, but in NY the minimum required coverage for beaning someone else is ridiculously low. I have probably 5 or 10x what the state mandates, plus umbrella policies.

In order to figure out what to negotiate, you would need to know how much coverage the lady had, and work you way from there.

'Drew

6. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

larry, you sure thats what the lawyer said? so if they offer (ball park) 1000 bucks and they hire the lawyer and he get the ins company to settle 1100 he would only get 33% of 100? i think thats wrong..
    they should talk to a lawyer first..see what they think its worth..go from there..
    :whistling:

ps
    imo

7. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

What is the damage?

Value of car + cost of medical.

8. WmHBonney

WmHBonney

How is he at fault AT ALL? He's just driving down the road, minding his own business and that makes him 10% at fault ? Insurance companies are such scam artists.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

9. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

We got a hundred grand and lifetime coverage for our injuries when we were hit by a drunk driver
    Regards
    DW

10. larry_minn

Yep in my case that is "deal" lawyer made with me. (the settlement offer was THAT low)
    I made them a counter offer. "IF you can put my body back into shape it was BEFORE your client crossed the center line and dang near killed me I will give you a half MILLION dollars over next 20 yrs. (doable with where I was easy) Heck do it right now.... I enjoyed my health.
    I WAS bulletproof. I would decide to run a 10k road race 3 days before and complete it toward the front of pack and NOT be stiff/sore next days. (did a couple each year) with no training before. SCUBA dive the Keys, Channel Islands, Superior, etc.etc.
    Owned my own business that I was "going" to expand and was offered a part time LEO position.(that they WANTED me to consider doing full time)