Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on an older computer with Windows 98.

I uninstalled some unneccessary programs and after restarting the computer, it makes the Windows startup noise, the desktop background shows up, the taskbar comes up for just a second, but then nothing else happens. No desktop icons, no taskbar, nothing, just the desktop background.

How can I get past this or fix this? Safe mode does the same thing.

Thanks.
 

·
Unreconstructed
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Er, what "unnecesssary programs" did you uninstall?

Do you have the original Win 98 operating system discs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
There is probably some program now that's being told to run as part of the startup that you've removed. Maybe some network thing that's sitting and waiting to connect and won't release control until it starts normaly. Probably easiest to reinstall Windows...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Ffolkes
There is probably some program now that's being told to run as part of the startup that you've removed. Maybe some network thing that's sitting and waiting to connect and won't release control until it starts normaly. Probably easiest to reinstall Windows...
Yea that is what I figured. I was kinda looking for a way to fix this without re-installing windows, but it looks like I probably will just move the needed files to another hard drive. :sigh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,711 Posts
you try starting in safe mode and working from there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Originally posted by m2hmghb
you try starting in safe mode and working from there?
He said safe mode does the same thing.

backup the files you need, and then put several rounds into it.
No machine should have to suffer with Win98, or especiall Windows MEh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by malkore
He said safe mode does the same thing.

backup the files you need, and then put several rounds into it.
No machine should have to suffer with Win98, or especiall Windows MEh
It actually isn't my computer. But anyway, I ended up just taking out the hard drive and moving their important files to an old computer of mine and giving it to them.

BTW, I searched the internet for the specific problem I was having (only desktop background showing up, etc.) and found many instances, but never did find a solution.
 

·
Unreconstructed
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Windows 98 was notorious for hanging up. Few solutions were ever offered.
 

·
Ancient Tech
Joined
·
2,344 Posts
Other than 'upgrading' to ME(h!)!!

I believe ME was released solely to make Win2K look better by comparison.
 

·
Unreconstructed
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Windows ME is the worst thing ever sold by Microsoft.

Stay far away!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top