Questions. Shooting a bolt gun quickly.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frank4570, Oct 5, 2010.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I want to know what kind of speed is possible for the average competition shooter. I would like to improve my bolt gun speed, and I was thinking there is probably some kind of competition or something that would fit. There is a shooting competition for just about everything.
    I'm wanting to hone my skills for hunting, follow up shots.

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Practice.

But really, alot depends on the cartridge you're shooting, and the action of the rifle. I can work my Enfield, and Whitworth express rifles, feeding those long slick 375 H&H cases made for easy feeding, fast enough that shooters on the other side of the hill thought I had a semi auto.

conversely, my custom 338, built on the same Mauser 98 action the Whitworth is on, doesn't feed nearly as smoothly. And with my Rem 700, you can forget about any kind of speed trying to cram those 300 WSM rounds into the breech.

Bolts with short throws like the Blaser, and A-bolt, are commonly seen as faster, because they don't have to travel as far to eject the cartridge. The Enfield is probably the fastest action made, with the Mauser 98, and Winchester mod 70 close seconds. The rem 700, and Savage, are pretty much the slow dogs in the show.

3. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

[​IMG]

You're welcome. :thanks:

Back in the 90s I bought a Model 70 'Classic' -amazing action. Smooth as silk right out of the box.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  4. frank4570

frank4570

Hmph, oddly enough the 375 H&H is what I am looking at. Maybe a Whitworth should be in my future.

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

I just open and close the bolt normally, except faster.

6. Harvick

Harvick

It's tough to do quickly for us southpaws.

7. Jonesee

Jonesee

I got my first shotgun when I was 9. It was a sears bolt action 410. That was many, many decades ago.

Learn to quail hunt with that and you will have quick hands. This many years later I can still work the action without thinking. You learn to move fast or only get 1 shot per covey you jump.

8. frank4570

frank4570

I'm a little surprised there isn't some kind of competition for this.

When I wanted to become a better hunting shot, I joined silhouette shooting. It got my skills way way up.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

In NRA/DCM high power competition some shooters use bolt guns (1903 Sprigfield and 1917 Enfield in service rifle), but the fastest speed required is 10 shots in a minute - of course that includes a reload and is fired at 300 yards with iron sights, so the shooting part is pretty fast.

Here's a link: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/highpower.asp

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I shoot NRA Highpower rifle and in a standard 80 shot across the course match you will shoot two rapid fire stages. One at 200 yards, one at 300 yards.

Each stage is shot in two ten shot strings. At 200 yards you start standing with 5 shots loaded. When the targets come up you get into the sitting position, fire five shots, reload and fire 5 more aimed shots all inside one minute. Then the score the targets and you repeat the process for a total of twenty shots.

At 300 yards it works exactly that same as 200 sitting except you go from standing to prone.

The 10 ring at 200 yards is about 4" across with the X ring being about 2"

The 10 ring at 300 is about 6 inches across and the X ring is about 3 inches.

Open sights (aperture sights) reload is done with a stripper clip.

In reality between reloads, getting into position etc you end up with about 5 second per aimed shot (again, at 200 and 300 yards). A good shooter will clean both targets (Meaning shoot 200 points in each event) or only dop a point or two.

The real separator of the men from the boys in a highpower rifle match is the 200 yard offhand slow fire (20 minuts for 20 shots single--no sling or support). The 600 yard prone slowfire on a windy day will cause problems. But the offhand is where the match is won or lost.

A good bolt gun shooter will easily keep up with a semi-auto shooter. The bolt gun guy will usually have the gun cycled by the time it settles back down from the recoil of the last shot.

11. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

12. vafish

vafish

About 15 years ago I was deer hunting in South Western VA. Fairly large group of us out hunting. In the area I was hunting it was myself and this good ole boy from Tennessee. I was hunting with my TC Contender and my S+W29, he was using a old Remington 660 in .308.

I heard 4 shots so fast I thought they had to be from a semi auto, the rest in our hunting party thought it was me blasting away with the 29, everybody else was using bolt guns. Nope it was the Good Ole Boy with that 660 bolt action rifle. He was just that fast. And yes he did get his deer.

Practice makes perfect.

13. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

You need to work on your accuracy so you won't need a follow up shot.

If you're that concerned, buy a semiauto.

14. frank4570

frank4570

I've never met a real hunter that thinks things won't go wrong.

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

At least 3 shots in under 6 seconds, according to the Warren Commission...

16. frank4570

frank4570

NRA highpower sounds like it may be a good way to go.

17. CAcop

CAcop

Google "mad minute lee enfield."

Or watch these guys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5pSUlBz18&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYxJwwmcwU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-pgRhi_Lo&feature=related

The view of the targets as a mad minute takes place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaML-S28gw0&feature=related

The Mad Minute was developed to get British soldiers to fire fast and accurate. They had a minute to fire off as many rounds as possible at a target 200 or 300 yards away (conflicting accounts vary on the web, anyone got a manual from the era?). Only hits counted. The record was 37, 39, or 40 (again results vary on the web). I think the minimum was 15 but most doubled that.

How did they do it? The first word of the first post nailed it. Get snap caps and do it for free.

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Practice makes perfect.

Best way to shoot a bolt gun quickly is go to the range and shoot. A scoped rifle is harder to shoot fast than one with iron sights.

19. frank4570

frank4570

The enfield keeps coming up. Why is that? Is there something special about the enfield? And if so, are there more manufacturers who copy the design.

20. gbhamm2

gbhamm2

If you shoot one you will know why, one of the fastest bolt guns IMO.