Glock Talk banner

Questions on building an AR.

1524 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  NeverMore1701
I asked some of these in another thread and got a reply, but want more info, and to not hijack that thread. Am I understanding correctly that I could get the two items below, throw a rear sight on it, and have a complete AR? I know there are several other options on the PSA sight as well (kits for stripped lowers, etc.) but I think these two things are all I need, right? No special tools, no way to screw it up, etc.?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/8555/category/4220/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1213/category/4282/

Thanks!
See less
I asked some of these in another thread and got a reply, but want more info, and to not hijack that thread. Am I understanding correctly that I could get the two items below, throw a rear sight on it, and have a complete AR? I know there are several other options on the PSA sight as well (kits for stripped lowers, etc.) but I think these two things are all I need, right? No special tools, no way to screw it up, etc...
See more
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6,536 Posts
You have it right. The two links will snap together with two pins. A rear sight, some lube and a loaded magazine and you ready to shoot.

· Registered
4,612 Posts
Rear sight, magazines and ammo and you're ready for the range!

Simple as that!

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW, I had no idea. Ive done some googling on the quality of PSA's and everyone says they're great, but most don't specify which model they have, only that they've pieced them together. Does anyone have any thoughts on the quality of these entry level jobbers? Pretty much down to this or an M&P Sport. Obviously this comes with a dust cover, chrome lined barrel and FA, but am I sacrificing quality for it?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,349 Posts
The PSA should serve you just fine. The barrel is made by FN on the model you are looking at. I have the complete PSA Classic lower, and I have the Premium BCG, a charging handle and the PSA Freedom Upper (mid lenght)(melonite) in the UPS system right now.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
I believe you get what you pay for. And at the price psa sells some of thier products. It makes you wonder how they sell it so cheap. There has to be either a lack of quality control or cheap manufacturing processes. So yes you may very well get a rifle that fires, and if you don't, psa will probably replace a part here and there for you. But realize a company like Smith and Wesson with a history and track record for quality will have less "out of spec" parts. And higher quality control.

Look at bcm for uppers, they pride themselves on quality of parts and being mil spec

· Native Texan
393 Posts
My son just built a PSA Freedom carbine from a kit, and fit and finish are as good as you will find. ran 120 rounds through it Saturday without any issues. It is accurate and reliable. I built a pistol AR with a PSA upper and it too is very well made and ran flawlessly.

I have built many rifles and carbines over the years and these PSA kits are as good as anything else I have used. No they are not what some would consider a "tier 1" weapon, but I have trained and competed in 3 gun matches for years and have never had any issues with my non-Colt rifles. I have seen some of the high end rifles go down in matches.

Nice thing about liberty is that everyone can make their own decisions!

· Registered
3,349 Posts
cfr, as stated in a previous post, I have one of the Freedom melonite uppers on the way with the premium BCG. I fully intend to run this one very hard to see how it holds up. However, that will take some time. As to PSA (not the Freedom line), you may want to check out this torture test performed by Palmetto State Armory on You tube:

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, you seem pretty knowledgeable about these things. Would the parts in my first post effectively result in this complete rifle? I'm just not seeing any difference, but also have no clue what I'm looking at.

· Registered
4,612 Posts
Thanks guys, you seem pretty knowledgeable about these things. Would the parts in my first post effectively result in this complete rifle? I'm just not seeing any difference, but also have no clue what I'm looking at.
No, the one in the OP is a mid Length gas system which IMO is the best gas system. But yes you would have a complete rifle very similar to the one you linked.

ETA: This one without the SS barrel http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-carbine.html

· Registered
3,349 Posts
cfr, if you are saying you are lost concerning mid lenght gas system, the simple explanation is as follows. The 16" barrel can basically have a mid length or carbine lenght gas system. The difference is in the placement of the gas block (which in your case would be the front sight post) where the midlenght gas block is closer to the muzzle than with the carbine lenght gas system. The mid lenght system is said to result in less recoil, less wear (mainly as to the bolt) and a longer sight radius.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cfr, if you are saying you are lost concerning mid lenght gas system, the simple explanation is as follows. The 16" barrel can basically have a mid length or carbine lenght gas system. The difference is in the placement of the gas block (which in your case would be the front sight post) where the midlenght gas block is closer to the muzzle than with the carbine lenght gas system. The mid lenght system is said to result in less recoil, less wear (mainly as to the bolt) and a longer sight radius.
I'd googled it to learn about it, but thanks I appreciate it! I meant more that I'm lost with rifles in general.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't think my newest questions were worth of a whole new thread so I'm adding to this one. I've secured funding for this through the boss , however she brought up a great point: We're hoping to move back to AZ soon. The house is going up for sale in a couple days. That said, why do this now? I'm pretty stoked that shes on board with this whole thing at all, so I agreed to just wait. However, I accidentally signed up for the PSA daily emails, and got the link below. So naturally I do some googling to learn the difference between stainless and chrome lined barrels. I'll never shoot out either barrel, nor are the accuracy differences likely to impact me in any way. The one thing that’s tempting to just wait for a chrome lined barrel is ease of cleaning. I’ll be honest, I’m not the best about cleaning my guns. I’d like to say I clean after each use but that’s far from true. So when I read that chrome lined is easier to clean, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean I won’t need to clean as often? Or does it simply mean that it will only take 5 minutes instead of 10? Does it mean I can worry less about shooting crappy ammo through it?

Also, I know some of you watch PSA all the time. Is this the deal of a lifetime that I’m a fool if I ignore? Or will I see the same deal again soon?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...r-with-bcg-and-charging-handle/category/4459/

· Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Honestly, why are you so set on PSA? If you buy one of their kits you will likely need a decent amount of knowledge to fix all of the things they screwed up. It's a buyers market for AR-15's, Colts are dirt cheap and BCMs aren't much more. Since you are waiting, save up for a better rifle (or layaway one). If you want to go cheaper, the neutered S&W M&P sport is even a nicer rifle for less.

· Registered
4,612 Posts
They have deals like this every week. If it's not exactly what you're looking for, I would pass and wait.

Keep in mind as we get closer to the election supplies could tighten.

Never had a SS barrel so I can't comment on the ease of cleaning, but the biggest PITA with cleaning an AR is the BCG and upper receiver.

So I don't think the barrel type would make that much difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.