close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

questions on 1911 features

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by jundeleon, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jundeleon

jundeleon

Further queries on custom 1911s:

Whats the use of a flat top slide?

Whats the use of serrations on the back of the slide (the surfaces on the two sides of the hammer)?

Whats the use of serrations on the trigger face? Wont this make it rougher on the trigger finger after extended range sessions?

2. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

To minimize glare pag sinipat mo na yung sights.

:beer:

3. jimbullet

jimbullet

backslide serration is to reduce glare when the sun is at the back. Top of the slide, well it seems to be asthetics but I like it. Guess its for reduction of glare on top.

The serration on the trigger is not too rough and will not make your fingers too rough either but it will ensure a good grip of your finger to make that shot.

4. bulm540

bulm540

Whats the use of a flat top slide?

to reduce slide weight and make your gun cycle faster. This is a personal poreference.

5. jimbullet

jimbullet

The flat serrated top slide does not have anything to do with the faster cycle of the gun unless you carve out steel from within or put holes on the slide to make it lighter. For me its asthetics to make it look good. Without serration anyway, the top of the slide is already matte finished and therefore no glare.

6. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

i have a barrel question...

assuming both are match grade barrels from the same manufacturer, bar-sto or schuemann for example, which barrel will be more accurate in a 1911 :

match-grade bull barrel?

or match-grade (non-bull) barrel with bushing?

another question, does the barrel ramp have any effect on accuracy or is it purely a reliability feature?

the reason i asked is because i was going for a match grade, ramped bull barrel for my 1911 project but i recently found out bawal pala sa idpa ang bull barrel.

thanks guys.

7. jimbullet

jimbullet

My opinion and based only on my experience alone, the ramp is for reliability only and it has no role on accuracy.

Bull barrel is better since there are a few parts that affect accuracy unlike barrels with bushings unless you're using a collet bushing which has very close tolerance but easily breakable. Less play between slide barrel the better. No bushing is better when the gun goes thru normal wear and tear.

8. Allegra

Allegra

Di naman aesthetics lang , it's supposed to make it easier to find and center you r front sight upon presentation ng pistol
    OTOH, after a few years of using a flat top slide , bakit parang mas maganda naman ang gamitin ang round top hehe

9. mtho

mtho

i read in american handgunner march 2006 issue, an article about the pistoldynamics 1911 that non-bull barrels are slightly more accurate than bull barrels

10. jimbullet

jimbullet

When I go thru the process of acquiring my sight picture from a draw, I never had noticed using the flat serrated top to align the sights. Some shooters dont have top serration too, just the plain rounded matte.:)

11. bulm540

bulm540

Really!!! My SVI is flat topped and it cycles faster. You may have different results. try it you'll like it.

12. jimbullet

jimbullet

It seems the same. I have an armscor rounded top matte and a gold cup with a serrated top - no difference for me. Is it not what can contribute to a faster cycle is the recoil springs, load you use, barrel length and compensator if applicable...

13. Allegra

Allegra

Easier to acqwuire the front sight kung flat yung top
    Look at the glock
    YMMV

14. mikol

mikol

and easier also to put a 221 series Clark 1911 slide mount, scope mounts.:supergrin:

15. bulm540

bulm540

If you look at my post it is a personal preference. Recoil is subjective. 1 more thing you are shooting a .45 and I am shooting a .40 ( different recoil impulse), apples and oranges IMO. My SV slide was flat topped ( less 1 ounce), Yours may have been only serrated.

16. jasonub

jasonub

17. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

i really like IDPA better than IPSC.

and if i get a non-bull barrel, i can use it for IDPA and also IPSC, i believe.

if the bull configuration does not add anything significant to a 1911, then i think a match-grade, non-bull, bushing type barrel seems to make better sense to me.

mas pogi nga lang ang 1911 na naka bull barrel. :)

18. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

isa pa pong tanong...

ok po ba ang sps na brand ng barrels?

mas ok po ba yun kesa armscor?

19. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Anytime you remove metal from the slide that affects it's overall weight, your slide speed is bound to increase. But the effect is more noticeable in the high pressure rounds like the 40, 9 or supers. The 45 just has too much torgue that it's not obvious the slide has increased in speed.

It also has to do a lot with the shooter's sensitivity to the recoil. Different shooters preceive recoil differently. What others perceive as flat and quick, may be harsh to others. ;)

In the recent IDPA, I shot 45 again after years of shooting only 40 and supers. Maaan did it buckle a lot in my hands. At the same time slide cycling was very sluggish. I was actually "waiting" for the recoil to finish.

20. mikol

mikol

hanep...!!! ka talaga sa bilis idol, mantakin mo ba namang nababagalan kapa doon sa recoil ng iyong forty five. :supergrin: ;)