close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions. . . . Little help please.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Rhino-G19-, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Rhino-G19-

Rhino-G19-

Howdy all, i have a few questions.

I live on a 250 acre farm in the endless mtns. of P.A. i rent a place out here and have recently got into shooting and want to get into comp shooting when i'm ready. My landlord is a retired air force pilot who is very very cool about letting me and my buddy's shoot out here, he often joins in. So the other day i was hangin out with the landlord and showed him some comp shooting on youtube and his eyes lit up, he then asked me what it takes to host matches on the land, and if there is any money involved for the land owners who are willing to host matches, so here is my question for you. . . .

#1 who do i talk to about hosting matches on the property (we have atleast 2 empty clear fields the size of football fields, they use to be used to grow corn)

#2 Will there be any problems with local law, county officals doing so, it's private property (farm) ( i figured they'd be pro matches and most of the local police will want to compete)

#3 Is there any money involved in being a host

#4 Do you have to provide the targets or will they be covered by whoever (they are quite expensive and from what i'v seen, you use ALOT in these matches)

#5 Well.........anything i'm not thinking of that you can think of that will help me in my quest, feel free to throw in your .02

Thanks for any help.

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Hi Ryan,

I'd say the best thing for you to do would be to go shoot a GSSF match! That way you can see what it takes to host a match and talk to those who do it now for good info.

There's a match in Topton, PA. (between Reading and Allentown), but not till August 18th and 19th.

Right off hand I'd say your two biggest obstacles would be liability insurance and the close proximity of an existing match. And you'll certainly need to have at least three ranges with good back stops/berms to stop bullets with.

Go to http://gssfonline.com/ for more info!

:patriot:

3. ClaudeH

ClaudeH

4. Rhino-G19-

Rhino-G19-

Sounds like a hassle, i think i'll just start my own(non professional) thing up here since me and all my friends already shoot out here anyway, I was just trying to help out the local shooting community, it doesn't seem like there is anything within a decent distance.

Thanks for the help.

5. glockwerkes

glockwerkes

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. According to the location in your profile, your are within spitting distance of the Factoryville Sportsmen, which appears to be a very active club with lots of different types of competition. Here's their link:

http://www.f-s-c.org/

Back to GSSF, Topton is not that far south. I would highly recommend trying it out. I'm sure it will only take one time to get hooked.

6. Rhino-G19-

Rhino-G19-

Yea, i'v been to factoryville, and i'm not a big fan.

7. glockwerkes

glockwerkes

I've never shot there, don't know anyone there, so I don't have anything at stake. I only know they are an affiliated club with USPSA, as well as IDPA. I'm curious, what didn't you like aout it?

8. Rhino-G19-

Rhino-G19-

I just felt like they're prices were a little steep, not so much for shooting(about average), but their classes are highly overpriced(compared to most i have looked into at other gun clubs not so close to home), and on top of it all, my back yard (farm fields) is twice as big and i can get away with alot more (action shooting, holster draws, etc.),and it's alot less money. But since they do have matches i might go there to participate in matches and just practice at home, and spend the money i'd spend on shooting there on a few hundred more rounds to shoot at home. I'm gettin better by the day :banana: altho the below zero stuff lately has been holding me back a little, but i didn't let it stop me this saturday and sunday, i shot about 1,000 rounds.

I put it out there on the state clubs forums ,if your in the area and want to shoot, most weekends me and my friends are out here practicing, all we ask is that if your an expearienced shooter that you let us in on your knowledge, we love constructive critisism especially if it helps us out in the long run with things like technique and accuracy. :thumbsup: