close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Questions for Rem Tactical 870 - first range trip tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Glock21sf-miami, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Just got a Rem. Exp. Tac 870 and since I have never had a shotgun before. I want to make sure I don't make an epensive mistake.
    1- Can I fire 1 oz slugs with the factory choke on? I belive it should be safe since it looks opening up from the barrel diameter.
    2- Besides running a patch to take anything off from inside the barrel, should I clean or oil anything else before firing?

I have some Remington 00 buckshot and some Winchester Super X rifled slug for the session.

Thanks for the input and excuse the ignorance. I'd rather ask it here rather than finding out in the range....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

You should be fine with anything short of XXFull or the Turkey chokes. Most tactical shotguns will be Cylinder bore or Improved Cylinder. As long as you're using a Foster or Brenneke type slug, they will work in any smoothbore with up to full choke. If it's a sabot slug, your accuracy will suffer greatly, they are designed strictly for rifled barrels.

I hope this helps.

Sam

3. CBennett

CBennett

^^^ I agree

4. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

IMNSHO, take the scattergun apart (field strip) and give it a thorough cleaning, and then lubricate it with a good gun lube.

I've heard of some people that take their firearms out to the range and don't clean it. . . . just shoot it.
    That's not for me.
    I want all preservative out of that new firearm, and properly lubed.

5. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

I have an 870 Tac and applied break-free and cycled the action a few times before shooting it for the first time. I would suggest cleaning the bore. I had shells getting badly stuck in the chamber on my first trip out with my Tac 870 - took two hands on the forearm pulling back with the butt on the gun on my him to get them to let go. Some thorough cleaning, including a brush has helped, but I think I will need to smooth it up a bit more with steel wool or automotive sandpaper - like 2000 grit.

I have the factory supplied ghost ring sights on mine. I found so far that slugs shoot pretty high - 8+ inches at 25 yards. Oddly though bk loads shoot to poa. I might have to consider a compact dot sight of some sort.

Let us know how your range trip goes.

6. oneg

oneg

My 870 with GR sights shot Remington 1oz slugs 6” high at 50 yards. I sent it back to Remington but it still shoots slugs high even with the ring adjusted all the way down. I have not tried it at 100 yards.

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

Tactical Rem Choke is equal to a "cylinder bore" choke which is OK to use for slugs.

I would pull the trigger assembly & barrel off - inspect for any left over metal shavings - wipe it down inside & out with a rag & very small amount of oil - run a few patches (no oil) through the barrel until clean.

But - DO NOT TAKE trigger assembly apart!

IMHO you should invest in an upgraded recoil pad -

The R3 pad or Limbsaver (same pad one is just branded Remington)

I have not tried the new SuperCell pad Remington is using now - but head good things about it.

IIRC the R3 is $25-$30; SuperCell $20-$25

A day of shooting Slugs & buckshot combined with a hard rubber recoil pad = sore shoulder and a nice black mark.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. G19Pistolero

G19Pistolero

Listen to this man's wisdom...I recently acquired a Mossberg 590 and my shoulder still hurts with the 'stock' stock...

-J.-

9. ET.

ET.

I bought an 870 Express and decided to break it in on a Saturday last spring. When I finished I realized it broke me in. I immediately purchased a Remington super cell recoil pad. I haven't shot it since then. I guess it's kind of like closing the barn door after the horses got out. :dunno: