Questions for non-LEO armorers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Irelander, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

I just completed the Glock Armorers Course yesterday so naturally I'm pretty excited. I'd really like to make the most of it and start a little side business servicing Glocks. Just wondering how many of you guys have embarked on the same journey. I suppose I will need an FFL to work on pistols or I could team up with a local dealer. I really want to gain as much experience as I can as an armorer, but I'm not too sure where to start. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

2. JBP55

JBP55

I buy/sell/trade/work on Glocks occasionally, no FFL needed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010

3. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I'm not a lawyer, so take this for what it is worth....

By Federal Law

1. I don't believe you need an FFL to have a business to WORK on firearms. Although, establishing an LLC might be a good idea.

2. I believe there is a numerical limit on how many firearms you can SELL over a set period of time without holding a FFL and/or "sell firearms as a business".

As you know working on Glock firearms are about as "simple as it gets" for firearms. A lot of people simply work on their own (for better or worse) and it may be difficult to convince someone to pay you to work on their Glock for enough money to make it worthwhile as a "stand alone" side job. If you can provide some other related services you might have better success.

I took the course so that I could buy parts and service Glocks for our IDPA club.

4. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

Something to mention, you can work on a firearm without a FFL, as long as the owner is present. If he leaves the firearm with you for teh night, you have to have a FFL. This was discussed and put out by teh bat guys a couple years back.

5. zeke66

zeke66

Can't you work on and repair guns as a business with just a C&R license, as long as you don't buy/sell?

6. JBP55

JBP55

I wold like a copy of the Law pertaining to #2.
    No business or FFL is required to buy/sell/trade person to person within your state.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. SCC

SCC just me

yuo would have to look it up for your state you are in ...

8. boomhower

boomhower

I thought it was federal, not state?

9. JBP55

JBP55

It is legal in La.
    He was referring to Federal Law.

10. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

So, by federal law, as long as the distributor is in your state, a storefront gunshop run as a business can sell thousands of firearms a year without a FFL?

I'd like to see the law on that one.

11. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

You should call the BATFE and tell them what you wrote above to see if they think you should have an FFL or not.....and let us all know what they say. :)

(I'd call from a pay phone)

12. Noponer

Noponer

From the ATF website...

"Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer."
    [27 CFR 478.11]

13. Noponer

Noponer

Deleted

14. JBP55

JBP55

So no one on GT ever buys, sells, or trades a gun in their home state or installs a connector or sights without an FFL and a store front?

15. JBP55

JBP55

I do not know where you got anything about a distributor, a gun shop or a business or thousands of guns. Did you have a dream? Did you read my post? I was referring to a person to person trade and installing sights or connectors for friends.

16. Butch

No, it's perfectly legal for people to sell their privately owned guns according to state and Federal laws, but if you "buy/sell/trade/work on Glocks daily" the BATFE will very likely consider you to be 'in the business' of doing so, and you would need to have a Federal Firearms License.....one of those Federal law thingys.

17. DougC

DougC

I know it's the law but that doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I don't see how they can logically connect those activities so that they fall within the definition of a dealer.

18. Noponer

Noponer

Yes, but with some limitation.

The "Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide" (page 37, middle column) says that the Gun Control Act defines "engaged in the business" as a dealer in firearms (27 CFR 478.11) as.....

"A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms."

It seems that engaging in any activity "daily" is not "occasional" and is more than a hobby.

19. Butch

And the last time ANY gun control law made 'a lick of sense' to you was......?

20. DougC

DougC

That was in the front of my mind while typing that out.... and that would be NEVER!