Questions about the airport shooting

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dumaz, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Dumaz

Dumaz

Apologies if this has been asked but had a couple questions about the tragic airport shooting in FL. Just read the FBI gave the shooter back his gun after he reported having these crazy thoughts and sent him on his way. The SAME GUN he used in the shootings at the airport. He should not have been given the gun back if he was having mental issues. Is this not negligence on the part of the government and FBI? If I were the families of those who were shot I would sue the **** out of the government. This makes me angry that they let him have it back. Another question is the shooter was charged with a violent assault back in January of 2016. Why did he still have his gun? In my CCW class my instructor said if we get in trouble with the law with regards to violence and assault our gun privileges will be taken away. How come the shooter still had his gun? Maybe I don't know anything but this story is sad. So much was broken and could have been prevented.

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Charged /= convicted.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Due process

Bruce M likes this.
  4. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

The FBI did not give him back the gun. Local police did.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Sa...efore-Florida-shooting-rampage-409989405.html

Federal investigators contacted APD to transport Santiago to an unnamed mental health facility, and his girlfriend picked up the child.

Weeks later, local police returned the gun to Santiago.

Karen Loeffler, U.S. Attorney for the District of Alaska, said there is no mechanism in federal law for officers to permanently seize the gun from Santiago at the time he walked into the FBI in November.

"Obviously, law enforcement operates within the statutes that are given to them," Loeffler said. "There is a federal law with regard to (revoking) a gun from somebody who is mentally ill, but the law requires that somebody be 'adjuticated mentally ill.'

"Law enforcement acted within the laws."

Bruce M likes this.
  5. kiole

kiole

Would it make you feel better if he rented a large SUV and drove it into a crowd?

If we as a society deem it inhumane or undesirable to lock up the severely mentally ill we must accept these types of rare events.

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

The former Soviet Union used to take people they didn't like, snatch them from their homes, declare them mentally ill and imprison them, torture them with drugs, sleep deprivation and other methods until they became mentally ill. It was a method of controlling or suppressing dissent.

Let's not give the government a mandate to take essential rights away on a single agent's statement of what someone said in an interview. Courts adjudicate mental illness, unless a patient admits themselves, and I am not sure about how that works, and how binding the statement of someone who is bat poop crazy is about being bat poop crazy. I mean, they're crazy, maybe they are lying about being crazy.