Questions about Lowers

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by MFB, Apr 12, 2012.

1. MFB

MFB

I'm researching my first AR build, and I'm stuck between two options for the lower. I'm considering either ordering a BCM lower, or getting a stripped lower and a parts kit. I still have a few questions. The first is, how beat up are the blem kits from BCM? This seems like a decent way to save a little, but I'd hate to get one and only be able to get a magazine in with a sledge hammer and some vasoline.

The other question is about the quality of a parts kit from a company like DPMS or Stag. How much would these vary from the quality of a BCM lower, and would it matter? This will be my first rifle, and I plan to keep it forever, so quality is an important factor, but at the same time I'm not just looking to hemorrhage money for the heck of it.

These are the two options I'm considering, but if anyone has other suggestions that may be better, I'm all ears. I'm planning on matching it to a 14.5 BCM upper in 5.56, if any of that matters. This will be mostly a range and fun rifle, and at this point a 2 stage match trigger is not something that is important to me. Thanks everyone.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The pics below are a BCM blem lower.......found one single nick near the pivot pin.
    I have a Timney 4# trigger in it. Using a 14.5" AA piston upper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

3. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

I built a BCM blem lower a bit over a year ago. Mine had a nick a the back of the magwell. You darn near need a magnifying glass to see it. BCM is great stuff, and for a "user' rifle, I don't think you could go wrong with a blem lower from anyone, especially BCM.

I have used Spikes, BCM, and Palmetto lower parts kits, for the most part. Found Palmetto LPKs to be wonderful, and a great bang for the buck, especially when purchased as a 'lower build kit" that comes with everything you need to complete a lower. I bet I have bought 5 lower build kits from them in the last year, and have been very pleased. Good GI trigger right out of the box, IMO.

I have not used a Stag lower build kit, but have one of their M4s that I bought complete many years ago. Happy with that rifle as well, but did not build it. With everything surrounding DPMS, I would not buy anything with those 4 letters on it. With all the choices out there, there is no reason to, in all reality.

Check into PSA for the lower build kits and or lpks, and I think you'll see what a value they are.

4. vettely

vettely

Do yourself a huge favor and put a Geissele SSA trigger in.

5. bmoore

bmoore

Beautiful weapons, nice Colt.

OP, Timney triggers are very well respected.

6. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

That is a good looking rig!

:supergrin:

OP it depends how anal you are about your guns. Some don't mind a little variation from perfect but some folks do. You're going to save some $ going blem lower but overall you are doing the right thing buying the same lower as your upper. Not only resale value but the color variation in parkerizing from various manufacturers.

The one thing that bugs me whenever I see it is when the upper & lower are 2 different colors with the light grayish Colt lower & older DPMS purplish upper combo being the worst looking.

:rofl:

7. MFB

MFB

Wow, some great feedback here. Thanks everyone. And Wrenchbndr, those are some beautiful pictures.

Javelin, thank you for the advice. The colors not matching on the upper and lower is something that would drive me nuts. I was actually leaning towards the PSA lower parts kit and a PSA stripped lower, but I think now I'll pay the ~$100 more to get a BCM lower.

Thanks everyone else for the trigger recommendations, I'll look into those.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

This,........:thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words. The BCM/AA is a culmination of about a year's woth of parts.
    The Colt is outstanding, it's a Rogers Precision tweaked pistol. Chuck is amazing!

I love the Timney. My plan was to purchase a Geissele but I got a
    smoking deal on a Timney. I have a Jard 4# in my AR10, it WILL get
    replaced with a Gsissele int he near future.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I forgot to mention,.....a BCM blemished lower will have a letter stamped
    on the exterior of the magwell, usually nead the pivot pin. Mine has a C.

The blem BCM lowers are a great value, everyone I've talked with
    actually had to look to find the blemish.

10. B.Reid

B.Reid

I'll second that!

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Third that, the Geissele SSA (or DM-R) are the only aftermarket triggers I will use.

BCM is the way to go. Nonmatching colors never bothered me, but I tend to use my stuff hard. Paint is cheap.

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Yep, so is aluma-black. Anodizing tends to get dinged up if you actually USE the rifle, so having either one around can come in handy.

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

PSA offers a complete lower build kit, all quality parts.

+1 on the Timney Triggers, well worth it.

14. MFB

MFB

You guys have successfully sold me on the Geissele SSA trigger. Has anyone ever tried to order a lower build kit from PSA but with a Geissel trigger? The upper assemblies have a lot of options you can swap out, but it doesn't seem like you can mix and match as much with the lowers.

Do the lower build kits save money vs ordering each part individually (assuming you use the same parts either way)?

Thanks again everyone, this has been very helpful.

15. mixflip

mixflip

I have seriously been gravitating towards more next gen lowers. I have had a few stock lowers in the past and now I want a little custom touches.

The Lancer Systems flared magwell and ambi controls looks awesome. Plus you can swap out the flared part to 3 different sized flares (non flared, tactical flared, competition flared speed chute)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  16. Ruggles

Ruggles

That is pretty sweet :wavey: As I grow older I can make it bigger for my aging eyes and hands :)

17. vettely

vettely

They are pretty easy to install. Check out this informative how to video by Mr. Geissele..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujgQ4IsVHF8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Geissele Automatics - SSA trigger swap - Part 1 of 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  18. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

That's kind of neat. :supergrin: