Questions about firing in water and recent ear ringing.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ThanksUglyGod, Jun 2, 2017.

1. ThanksUglyGod

ThanksUglyGod

Hi, Glocktalk peeps, im new here, so take it easy on me lol "no ear protection". So i went and purchased 50 9mm rounds for 15$ so i could fire with my friends Glock handgun. I fired it off the bridge into a water hole at some fish for fun. After firing 50 rounds and capping a few fishies "our private property", i left with ringing in my ears, my 3 other friends didn't get it too bad and said they are used to it and it will go away. Fired from my right hand emptying clips pretty quickly, which is funny because its been roughly 30 something hours since i shot and its been only ringing in my left ear. Its made a little progress in getting better, but, its still ringing. So my questions are, 1. Will this go away, any gun noise survivors on here? 2. Is it safe to fire 9mm in water? i heard it wasn't with .22 rifles and could bounce around. It was fun, but a very dumb thing to do, and hope to see recovery. P.S. i did this about a year ago with 8 rounds fired from a .38 special revolver, it rung for a while, i think my ears are sensitive, but i just wanted to check in with people here that know about this stuff.

bluebanana likes this.
  2. glide

glide Just sayin'

I have titinitus from listening to loud music and playing with fireworks over the years. Titinitus from my thirties. It never will go away. Permanent damage will result if you don't protect your hearing while enjoying shooting sports. BTW shooting on a water surface can cause the bullet to ricochet and hurt or kill someone or damage property.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

3. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

I have tinnitus from playing a full stack guitar amp since I was a kid.
    It doesnt get any better. A Dr told me that it was the nerves dying and eventually it will go quiet, maybe.

4. whirlibird

whirlibird

Sorry, did you ask something, I can't hear you from all the ringing in my ears.

That's permanent damage you are "hearing", ain't it grand.

Earplugs are your friend. Always wear hearing protection if at all possible.

5. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Like a rock concert, the stereocilia (little hairs that feel sound in the cochlea) in your ears got damaged. Normally (barring eardrum damage, bone damage, etc.), this is temporary. By "temporary" I mean you may or may not have killed some cells (and they do not grow back, all dead is all deaf!), but it is more likely most are just curled up in the fetal position quivering, and will come back over the next few days. But this damage is cumulative, and will result in very real hearing problems if you continue.

You learned your lesson. Use hearing protection, always. Electronic ear muffs are a bit pricier, but great. Foam plugs are less glamorous, but are super cheap and work well (get a higher NRR rating).

If the ringing (tinnitus) or muffled/fluffy feeling in your ears does not return to normal in a few days, a trip to a doctor may be in order, but I would bet you will be fine. You hurt your ears, but they recovered (a bit worse off than before you did it, but probably not noticeable unless you continue to subject them to repeated damage and wear).

As for shooting at water, many states have laws that prohibit firing at or over water, due to risk of bullets injuring others as they randomly ricochet. Just be aware of the very real risk that shooting at water can have. I don't know your property, backstop, or state laws, but I would absolutely look into these things. Shooting bullets at water can have consequences.

6. jmohme

jmohme

I had a front row seat to a gas explosion that started the ringing in my ears.
    That was 43 years ago and the ringing is still there. It does not go away.

Use appropriate hearing protection!

fflincher and whirlibird like this.
  7. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Don't ever shoot without hearing protection if you can possibly avoid it! And buy the best hearing protection you can. My ear muffs are rated at 34dB.

If you're lucky the ringing might go away eventually. If you're not, it's permanent. Cross your fingers and don't make that mistake again.

https://www.amazon.com/ClearArmor-1...6416553&sr=8-4&keywords=earmuffs+for+shooting

8. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

When the ringing stops, those nerves are dead.

fflincher likes this.
  9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Hey, everybody is young and stupid once. The most important thing is learn from your stupidity and move on.

When I was in the Army umpteenth years ago, they were very rigorous about hearing protection. We all got fitted earplugs that we're supposed to wear at the shooting ranges. The range masters would walk around making sure that everybody had their earplugs in, but they can't be everywhere at once. So, being that I was young and stupid (because I already knew about hearing damage yet elected to ignore the precaution), I undid my earplugs so that I can "know what it's like in a real shooting environment". The damn noises killed my ears and it didn't do squat to improve my "combat preparedness". Young and stupid.

Nowadays I wear double hearing protection: ear plugs AND ear muffs. I'm trying to preserve what little hearing I have left.

pgg00, 6Actual, fflincher and 2 others like this.
  10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

As for shooting in water, the bullets skip and/or take unpredictable trajectories. That is why it is a no no.

fflincher likes this.
  11. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I guess I was lucky. Sometimes it takes a good scare to force you to take care of your eyes and ears.

I had an infected wisdom tooth and completely lost my hearing. I couldn't hear my alarm clock and I could stand in front of my cuckoo clock, watch the bird dance and never heard a thing! I got the tooth pulled, the infection was cured and my hearing came back but I never forgot what it was like to be without my hearing!

I am a total A hole about hearing and eye protection! In theaters, I stuff paper in my ears to muffle loud audio. The same goes at the concerts that I've attended. Even riding a motorcycle or driving a car with the windows open. My ears are protected!

You received a warning and your ears are trying to tell you something. You better listen!

Flash

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  12. Nunya Business

Nunya Business

So first let me say don't touch another gun until you've taken a safety class because you seriously need it.

I make a point of getting in on every hearing protection thread I find because I made the mistake of not protecting my hearing and lost most of it.

I was an artilleryman in the Army for several years and afterwards worked as a sheet metal fabricator/ machinist. I started my manufacturing career operating a Strippit 1250 CNC Turret Press and made a point of using hearingprotection then but it was too late.

I am 50 years old, I can’t use a telephone without head phones, I have to use the closed captions when I watch TV (or turn it up so loud the neighbors can hear it), my wife has given up on asking me “Did you hear that?”, I’ve lost a lot of the enjoyment of music (MP3 head phones will damage your hearing too BTW) and I have to lip read my grandkids

My point is, once your hearing is gone, it’s gone and by the time you realize I know exactly what I'm talking about it will be too late for you too.

Wear your hearing protection Wear your hearing protection Wear your hearing protection Wear your hearingprotection Wear your hearing protection.

13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Never goes away. I got mine from the noise in the missile site and on the flight line when I was in my mid 20's. Still have it. I have been using plugs AND earmuffs ever since. You would be wise to do the same.

As above , a gun safety class for you and your friends.

Shooting in water? Here's some for you.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lG-snJZIV8

wp

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    plp and fflincher like this.
  14. Maine

Maine

You could have put 2 of those 9mm in your ears as plugs. Not ideal but still better than nothing.

fflincher likes this.
  15. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Once, the ringing didn't go away.
    That was over 20 years ago and it never, ever stops.

A simple ringing in the ears can suddenly become a lifelong disability with no cure.

fflincher likes this.
  16. TGT

TGT They call me "The Chef". Fruit salad my specialty.

Oh geeez...... I didn't hear the constant ringing in my ears (that I've had now for over 30 years) until I came across this thread and got reminded of it by all yall! Dang that is loud!.... isn't it!! LOL
    TUG,
    If it doesn't go away, you'll get so use to it, that you won't even notice it most of the time anymore..... kind of like the same way you manage the wife's b****y ways. :breastfed:

pgg00 likes this.
  17. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Let me guess. You didn't wear safety glasses either. ;)

18. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

The one thing to remember is the damage threshold is lower than the pain threshold for hearing. You are probably damaging you ears even though you don't feel pain.

fflincher likes this.
  19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

And the damage, even when hidden, is cumulative;
    so it might not take much next time to ignite the permanent tinnitus.

fflincher likes this.
  20. DonD

DonD

As fnfalman and willie_pete said, double ear protection is the way to go. In my case, the only exception for me is a .22LR rifle, they're not very loud with high NRR earplugs.

For those who do or will be shooting really noisy big bore revolvers, double ear protection reduces the "perception" of recoil.

Re shooting at water. In most cases it is very dumb and dangerous. Had one site several decades ago, narrow creek that cut deeply into the ground with nearly vertical banks and with another high bank beyond. Shooting at a sharp downward angle, no way on earth for any slug to escape. Fun to create geysers and watch mud fly. Don

happie2shoot and fflincher like this.