Questions About Beretta 1301 Gen 2

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by RagnarLothar, Sep 29, 2018.

1. RagnarLothar

RagnarLothar

I'm really pulled toward the 1301 Tactical for the feature set it comes with as standard as opposed to what is required to upgrade the Benelli M4, plus, of course, the price is better.

Am I correct in understanding that:

1) The Gen 2 Bolt Release lever and operation takes cares of concerns with the Gen 1 operation in which it was possible to get a double feed and effectively lock up the shotgun?

2) Is the bolt release on the Gen 2 not metal, instead of plastic?

3) Is the pic rail now aluminum instead of plastic?

4) Aftermarket options are available to increase capacity from 6+1 to 7+1 or even 9 with carrier loading?

5) I'm a bit unclear on the various models available? Is the Gen 2 in Black with shorter LOP stock a 6+1 capacity with an 18" barrel or a 18.5" barrel? It seems the price on it is the lowest, but I'm concerned about capacity and aftermarket install of a +2 mag tube?

Thanks for any other information that may be available?

I'm looking at this particular model: J13T18NLE Gen 2
    It looks to be around $900.

Then there is this model: J131T18C and it appears to be about $100 or so more.

2. Nick B

Nick B

Are you a first Responder? $831.00 .
    1: Yes
    2:Not sure from the pics I’ve seen.
    3:yes
    4:Yes. Nordic Components.
    5:18.5” barrel. The LE version from what I’ve seen is cheaper because the barrel is a fixed choke and not screw in .

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    RagnarLothar likes this.

3. Reswob

Reswob

The Gen 1 version is available in a "LE" model that comes stock with a full mag tube and pistol grip stock. I'd rather have these upgrades from the factory (and not worry with 922), and get one of the aftermarket fixes for the Gen 1 bolt release. Some sites had the Gen 1 LE model for cheap(er) when the Gen 2 was announced.

4. RagnarLothar

RagnarLothar

Reswob...bingo. Precisely why I bought from Arms Unlimited in Las Vegas and it will arrive here on Wednesday. I did the math and realized paying $1120 for it, shipped, with the parts I wanted on it already installed was a better deal for me. Plus, I'm installing the co-witness mount for my red dot from Aribus, along with their bolt release mod. A fixed choke does not bother me since this will be my SD and Tactical shotgun and a cylinder choke does great with Federal Flite Control 00 Buck, etc.

I added up how much it would cost me to "upgrade" a Gen 2 "LE" model and realized I was getting a better deal.

mgs likes this.
  5. Nick B

Nick B

In the op what M4 upgrades are you talking about ?

6. RagnarLothar

RagnarLothar

The Benelli M4 - extended mag tube, rail system, larger charging handle, larger bolt release, larger safety, etc. etc. etc.

7. Nick B

Nick B

The M4 is available with a extended mag tube . Models 11715 and 11721.
    Plenty of those two models for sale on GB.
    Rail included also.

8. RagnarLothar

RagnarLothar

An M4 Benelli with the collapsible stock, OEM full length mag tube, larger charging handle, larger bolt release and a forend rail system, etc. is far more costly than a Beretta 1301 LE edition with Mesa Urbino stock, full length mag tube and pic rail in front for a light, and a QD sling mount, plus the 1301 comes standard with a larger charging handle and large bolt release, etc. etc.

To each his own, but for my needs, and the feature set I want in a defensive/tactical shotgun the Beretta 1301 is the better choice.

I'm not sure what @Nick B is trying to accomplish with his remarks about the Benelli M4, but for the money, the 1301 LE edition is a better option.

9. Nick B

Nick B

Dude I wasn’t doing anything but passing information to you .
    Just like I was over on the Beretta forum when you had questions about the 1301 .
    Next time I won’t bother .

RagnarLothar likes this.
  10. clawdaddy56

clawdaddy56

Anyone know if there is a way to differentiate between gen one and gen two when shopping online?

11. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

The bolt release button looks different -

The Gen 1's "should" be mostly gone by now - Arms Unlimited consistently has the best price on them, I would email them and ask which version is shipping.

In case you may not know, Arms Unlimited and many other distributors were clearing the "old" Gen 1's out, prior to Shot Show when the "upgraded Gen 2" 1301 was announced.

If you're sitting down, I picked mine up for $650 delivered, at my FFL, ordering from Arms Unlimited. Basically the second best semi-auto in the market (Benelli M4 being #1) at 1/3 the cost.

I added:
    -Nordic +2 Beretta 1301 kit ($115) - they are the only game in town for a flush fit kit
    -Aridus parts - Zhukov handguard/adapter ($175), Magpul SGA adapter ($50), Latch and Shroud for bolt release ($60), and SGA Mossberg stock ($85)

I'm about $1,150 in, but I wanted to change the furniture - if you are happy with stock handguard and stock, just add mag extension kit, and good to go.

I'm not a fan of the Mesa Urbino as its not collapsible, if I have a pistol grip, I would like collapsible stock, personally. FYI you can ghost load the 1301 but you won't get 9+1, I think its 8, as the Nordic takes capacity to 7 in the tube.

If you look around and shop with a good Benelli dealer (I have a reference), you should be able to get the M2 tactical, with extended tube, and fixed pistol grip stock, for about $1,200-1,300 out the door - great inertia gas system on those. They cannot be had with collapsible stock and no retrofit for M2 models.

The M4 with collapsible and factory mag tube extension can be had around $1,700-1,800. Pricey, but Benelli is worth every penny. And you have to find a non-****** dealer because a lot of Benelli dealers are told by Benelli "LE/Agency sales only" on models that have an extended mag tube. Which is just their own stupid company policy, and has no legality in the USA, except in communist states that still keep the AWB in place (NJ, NY, etc)

starfish86 and clawdaddy56 like this.
  12. starfish86

starfish86

I want a 1301 tactical marine. My understanding is Marine and Green and FDE are all gen 2 I think they only way to be safe if buying the batman black gen2 is verify the sku number. I just spent my monthly allowance so mayber December will bring me a 1301 tactical marine.

Until the last 24 hours I never owned a Beretta. Not even the GM version. But then I got the Beretta bug from youtube channels like sootch00, hickok45, and weaponseducation.

13. clawdaddy56

clawdaddy56

Found this on a different forum. Appears correct. Different skus between old and new.

OLD= J131T18, J131T18LE, J131P18LE

NEW= J131T18N, J131T18C, J131T18F, J131T18G, J131T18M, J131T18NLE

14. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Just got my Gen2 LE from Arms Unlimited. Very nice. Paid for 2-5 day shipping....waste of time. Took a week to get to PA....only complaint.

15. utah

utah

I know this is 3 months old, but have a chance to pick up a Gen1 for a steal and I have a question. Can I replace the barrel of the Gen 1 with a Gen 2...would like to have chokes, but not a deal breaker. Thanks