Question......Walther P99 AS or QA?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I recently got a P99 QA w/ regular sights. I paid for it, but have yet to do the background check. Reason being, I, like an idiot, didn't bring my other form of ID, so the gun is yet to be "in my name".

The gun shop called today, and said they just got a brand new P99 AS with factory night sights in, and said they'd let me just put what I paid for the P99 QA, toward the AS with night sights. Thing is, I'm indifferent about the AS trigger, although it would be cool to have something different. I definitely want the factory night sights. So is it worth paying an extra $115 towards getting the night sights and AS trigger?

The AS trigger doesn't excite me too much, but having a "second-strike" capability in a striker-fired handgun does, as does the fact it has factory night sights. This one came fresh from the factory, as when I spoke to Walther about the date of manufacture of the serial # I "bought", they said they ship directly to the gun shop due to a deal they have with them (according to the Walther rep).

So, what say you? Is the the AS trigger something I'd be able to get used to? I'm used to a Glock trigger, FWIW.

2. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

The A/S trigger is more popular. It's basically a striker fired DA/SA pistol. However, the SA pull is super sweet.

I used to be a huge P99 fan, and even owned 3 at 1 time. WIth the Night Sights (I've NEVER seen a new P99 with factory nightsights already installed before), that's worth it, I think.

Over the years, I have seen many buyers of QA's post them for sale in order to buy the A/S model. There are some QA fans - but they are in the minority when it comes to P99s.

I have tried a QA once, and I did not like it.

3. Airborne Infantryman

Thanks Shipwreck. I just watched a video on YouTube demonstrating the triggers side-by-side. I like the ultra short reset of the A/S. Seems shorter than my P226 Tac Ops w/ SRT. The night sights look exactly like the ones that come from the factory on a PPS. I think I may do the switch. I prefer the steel night sights over the plastic standard sights. That alone is worth it for me. I think I would warm up to the A/S trigger.

[​IMG]

4. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Well, show us a pic when ya get it :)

5. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

There is no MSRP price difference between AS and QA, so you'll basically be paying $115 for night sights.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Personally, I prefer the AS sear module to the QA, but then I happen to like traditional double action in working pistols. Night sights are never a bad thing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  7. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

8. raven11

raven11

The AS is double strike capable if it matters to you, I bought the AS after shooting the QA and finding the trigger too "glock like" which I didn't like, the SA mode on the AS is one of the best triggers on a polymer pistol straight from the factory I ever shot

9. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

The single action mode of the AS trigger is basically what sets the P99 apart from all of the other plastic striker-fired guns. You get rid of it, you get rid of 90% of what makes the gun worthwhile.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. jp3975

jp3975

Personally I think its a bad thing.

If you pull the trigger and it doesnt go bang...what are the odds that pulling the trigger again will do anything?

I dont know about you, but in a stressful situation if the gun doesnt fire for some reason and it has "second strike" capability....I will likely pull the trigger again and again and again...

Where as with a trigger like on a Glock, you cant pull the trigger again. So I'll pull the slide back and put a new round in.

That said, Im interested in the gun. I think an HK P7 is probably coming home first though.

11. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Like Ship I have owned three in the past, all AS. Now I am down to two. But I prefer the AS. Night sights no big deal. I put Meps on mine, no problem.

12. G31

G31 Millennium Member

I have an AS .40 and love it. I can do my best shooting with this gun under simulated stress. Mag changes while looking at the target are a breeze. I might be looking for one in 9mm soon...

The only downfall is finding magazines at a good price. At least the .40 can use the cheaper SW99 mags that are readily available.

13. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

As someone else said, there is no price difference in the AS/QA models. So it depends if you want those particular night sights.

But I for one love my P99 QA.

14. matt c

matt c

I'd get the A/S

15. Quack

Quack Rent this space

A/S as well. i sold it years ago, now i wish i would've kept it.

16. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

If you get a "click" instead of a "bang" the proper response should be a tap, rack, bang procedure instead of pulling the trigger again. You may be getting a "click" because you didn't chamber a round, it's been known to happen, and all the trigger pulls in the world aren't going to get you a bang.

As to the AS and QA I personally would find it a no brainer as the AS is a better trigger for me and the night sights are icing on the cake to me.

17. Airborne Infantryman

I got the P99 AS. It has some "other" features I wasn't expecting. See my thread on it. I appreciate all the input. I'm very happy with my decision.

18. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Good choice!:wavey:

19. GOOFA

GOOFA

Get the AS, without a doubt. The "AS" trigger has been in high demand and extremely low supply for the past few years do to military and law enforcement contracts worldwide. QA models sold mostly to buyers who had to have a P99 and did not know the difference between the two and they sold because they were "available". I feel its one of the most underrated 9mm's of recent times. Here's a pic a mine. Don't forget to thank your dealer, he did you a favor.
    [​IMG]