close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question to the Crowd.....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by HokieGlocker, May 27, 2002.

1. HokieGlocker

HokieGlocker WannaBeGlocker

I have been shooting GSSF for almost 3 years with a pair of buddies. We have noticed that when any of us use the G17 of the group, rather than our G23, G32 or G27, we shoot almost 50 - 75 points better. Is this a common occurrence?

I also was wondering what most of the top performers in Stockmeister and Am. Civilian are shooting? Also what would be the possibilities of the results to show what type of gun was used, at least in the stock categories?

Thanks

BUCK

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Interesting question. I used a 23 last year and moved to a 17 this year. I can't say my times drastically improved because of it. I credit my practice habits with my improvement. I do like the feel of the 17 more when used for matches. I do use reloads in both so recoil is not an issue in the .40 or the 9MM.

As to what gun is used I'm sure others will respond but the 17 is popular. As to reporting what gun is used, at Richmond Bruce didn't even ask me what I was shooting. In the past that was always asked. It would appear that it wouldn't be hard to do. Maybe Jackie could add that to the database.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Buck,

The top masters shooting Stockmeister use G17's with Bo-Mar sights. I expect that the G17's also dominate Amateur/Civilian. I shoot my G19 with Heinies better than any other of my Glocks, so I use it in GSSF. The trick to success in GSSF is to get some D-1 targets and practice the actual stage set-ups. D-1's are availabe in both paper and cardboard. Roanoke Firearms has the paper variety.

There is a six stage defensive pistol match at Roanoke Rifle & Revolver Club this Saturday, June 1. Next match is July 13.

4. HokieGlocker

I hope more people can give me some insight to their shooting preferences in GSSF matches.

I forgot to mention why the question came about anyway. I am getting my next Glock in the very near future and am really up in the air over what model to get. I know if i ask what I should get every group will offer a very different, but logical, explanation of why i should get one model over another.

The biggest requirements from this new Glock will be... 1) A briefcase carry weapon, 2) A second gun for my GSSF matches 3) A second gun for Blackwater/other shooting events 4) A GSSF gun for my wife. I realize that it may be impossible to solve all these problems at once, but I am hoping to fill all the gaps with my current G23 (Daily carry weapon/GSSF first gun) and the new gun.

I am torn between a 17, 17C (with additional regular 17 barrel), 22, 31C, And 34. Yes I know these is all over the spectrum, but I will have all of these one day. ;)

Lastly, does anyone know of a place I could "test drive" several of these models to see which fits my/my wife's feelings or preferences?

Thanks......Sorry so wordy!

BUCK

5. Fireglock

If you have access to an indoor range many of them have several Glocks you can rent to try. A 9MM has a more manageable recoil than a .40 but if you reload you can tailor your loads so there is little difference. I find the full size grip better for me so I went with the 17. A 22 would do the same thing but I'm using a 17L for unlimited and wanted both guns to use the same ammo, so I went with the 17. I personally think the 9MM is also a little more accurate than the .40 and I've also noticed what TJC, BobbyC, and PhilipD use the 17, so it seemed to be best choice for me. My wife uses a 19 and loves it. The 31C and 34 will put you in Competition class and that only pays through third place so you will want to consider that.

6. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Buck
    Here's my .02 cents worth:
    Last year I won 3 guns, 1 with a G27 in Subcompact and 2 with a G22 in Am/Civ! Now that I'm in the Master class I shoot a G17 in Stockmeister and a G17L in Unlimited. I shoot reloads in both the .40 and the 9MM.
    I hope this has help and I'm sorry if it has confused you even more.;Q
    Dan ;f

7. MFinch

MFinch Guest

Like DEJ/FL....3 wins with the 40's but have moved to the 9mms. I like the 17 more than any of the Glocks I own and shoot it in Stockmeister w/ Heinies (with it currently being set-up for an unlimited test drive). I have a 34 that I generally use in unlimited but am not 100% sold on it. May go to the 17L or even 17.

If I could own only one it would be the 17 for GSSF/other events (with hi-caps and quality BB's for social events).

Good Luck,

Mike Finch
    Team Sidearmor
    Leadheads Bullets

8. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

17 and 17L, they have worked for me.

But don't forget the practice. I probably could have achieved the same results shooting a 22 and a 24 with the same amount of practice that I put into the 17 and 17L. ;e

The gun does not make the man, the leaders of GSSF do by changing the rules to "Spread the Wealth".

9. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

My three wins to Master was with a Glock 21. After shooting the Glock 17, I'm back using the Glock 21 just because I feel I shoot the Glock 21 more accurately.

I think it is very individual as to which model to use. It will come down to which you feel more confident with and practice, practice, practice.

I have been shooting the Glock 30 in concealed carry type matches, IDPA and USPSA Limited-10 and love how it performs. You might want to check it out to see if it fits your requirements listed. The Glock 36/30 combo suits my overall match and defense needs quite nicely.

10. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

I bought a new 23 32 days ago and a used 17 today. I just got back from the indoor range and compared the targets... I shot the 23 yesterday and the 17 today. There is no comparison for me. At 15 yards with the model 23... still all over the target...two hands to cover the grouping. With the 17....8 in the bullseye/black and the entire group I could cover with one hand hand!! I'm sold on the 17 for targets and the 23 for protection.

11. Fireglock

Excellent choices! ;f

12. doylelon

doylelon

Didn't Hokie shooter win a new Glock at the MD. GSSF match? So I guess you want your money's worth...ask Glock for a new G-34...it's a nice competition piece for you to use and help you win another freebie.

Good Shooting Hokie Man.:) :) :)

13. HokieGlocker

Like I said in the first post, I have shot a 17 and actually shot it better than my beloved 23. I expect I will be getting that good old standby the 17. I think it will allow me to cover all my loose requirements and maybe even pull my wife into the GSSF world.

One more roll off question......

What are peoples opinions between the diffrent generations of the Glock. The 17 I have shot is a Gen. 2. Are the finger grips a real selling point or is there another point that gets peoples attention?

Thanks

BUCK

14. Fireglock

I like the finger grooves, but I have other Glocks that are second and third generation and I shoot well with them as well. My 17 is my GSSF comm and it came with FG+R. My 17L had to have FG+R to use the scope mount that I wanted to use. I think the FG+R issues are if the gun fits you with them, if it does people seem to like them, if it doesn't then there's a preference for 2nd Gen frames.

15. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I definately prefer the 3rd Generation FG&R frame. I have a couple 1st Generation and tried the rubber slip on grip for the finger grooves but it is not the same feeling. As a matter of fact I am looking into getting my 1st generation receivers changed out to 3rd generation FG&R receivers.

16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's a matter of preference. I prefer the older Gen 1 and Gen2 frames, but must use a Gen 3 frame with my unlimited pistols because I need the accessory rails for my scope mounts. I prefer a Gen 3 frame on a G21 because the grip feels smaller.