Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to swap out some parts in my Remington R1 1911. I'm looking at the Wilson Combat full length SS guide rod but also reading about the new flat coil recoil springs. Per Wilson's site you can not use a full length guide rod with the flat coil spring. Reading the info on both parts they should help with function and make the gun smoother.

My question is what one is "better"?
Anyone have any input on these products?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
You are going to hear lots of negatives (around here) about full length guide rods. I've had them in a couple of 1911's, and like them on my target guns.
The main negatives is that it changes the way you break down your 1911, they add weight (if you carry a negative), and you need a tool.
The main benefit is that the added weight works great at the range. I've never had a recoil spring cause an issue, either with or without a guide, so I don't think spring guides add much in the way of reliability or function.
As far as changing springs, I go with Wolfe, and change them periodically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I run Wolff in my glocks and have in a couple other pistols. Wilson states that this flat coil spring will last like 10X longer then other springs. All I'm going off of is what they are saying about it. As for the full length guide rod I'm not carrying the gun unless I throw it on my hip and take it hunting or something so weight is not a big deal for me. I'm new to the 1911 and have just been reading that the full length rod makrs the gun cycle smoother?? I'm a guy who likes his Glocks so not sure I would even notice it being smoother. Lol

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
Ok. I run Wolff in my glocks and have in a couple other pistols. Wilson states that this flat coil spring will last like 10X longer then other springs. All I'm going off of is what they are saying about it. As for the full length guide rod I'm not carrying the gun unless I throw it on my hip and take it hunting or something so weight is not a big deal for me. I'm new to the 1911 and have just been reading that the full length rod makrs the gun cycle smoother?? I'm a guy who likes his Glocks so not sure I would even notice it being smoother. Lol
Everyone claims their springs are super awesome and will turn into cute fluffy kittens if you buy them.

A good rule of thumb us to change them out every 4-5K rounds. I bought some here a year or so ago made by Springco. These were some super duper springs that were quenched in the tears of a dragon, and sold as tactical springs. Said to last many times longer than standard springs.

The reason I bought them was because I needed a heavy spring and those were the only thing in stock. You can't go wrong with Wolff. Anything else is just a marketing ploy to get your money.

If you want a FLGR... Look for the one piece. A two piece guide rod are a pain in the ass to keep tight under recoil. Though they are a bit easier to get a part. You can't go wrong with the GI set up, but it is your gun and money to do with what you please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts