Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a deep cycle lead-acid marine battery for my trolling motor and ham radio equipment. It has removable caps to access the fluid in every cell.

I also purchased one of those smart battery boxes to protect the battery and provide convenient external power to other accessories.

Am I correct in thinking that I should not recharge the battery while it's in the box since the box appears to be practically waterproof? It used to be that lead-acid batteries needed to be recharged outside due to the fumes. Is that still so?

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
I charge mine in the basement all the time. If you had huge banks of batteries the hydrogen can become an issue, but you will be okay as long as you aren't in a super sealed house and grinding right over the top of the charging battery.

·
Registered
20,957 Posts
I am second guessing your removable caps. You might be able to remove them but probably arent supposed to. The battery should be maintenance free. They havent made a removable cap battery as you speak of in a whole bunch of years.

It should be called 'Sealed Lead Acid Maintenance Free'

/

·
emeritus
3,882 Posts
I am second guessing your removable caps. You might be able to remove them but probably arent supposed to. The battery should be maintenance free. They havent made a removable cap battery as you speak of in a whole bunch of years.

It should be called 'Sealed Lead Acid Maintenance Free'/
It's a marine deep cycle. It's different and most have removable caps. These types of batteries can be depleted and recharged numerous times; something that would kill a starting battery. The electrolyte needs to be replenished from time to time.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
The caps are to add distilled water if you need to and vent the cells. All mine are the same way, I add some distilled when needed. If the battery box fits that tight I would loosen the top for charging and storage to allow some venting if need be.

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

/
It does not say "sealed". It does say "Maintenance Free"

Can I recharge it inside the box?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC/180350522

·
emeritus
3,882 Posts

·
Registered
27,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is not a true deep cycle battery. That is typically referred to as a dual purpose battery. It will work for what you want but a true deep cycle will be much better. Return that. And no, those caps should not be removed even though with some prying, you can.
So, what does a "true" deep cycle battery look like? Do I really need one?

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
That is not a true deep cycle battery. That is typically referred to as a dual purpose battery. It will work for what you want but a true deep cycle will be much better. Return that. And no, those caps should not be removed even though with some prying, you can.
Where do you get that from? It is deep cycle and more than fine for what he is doing. There is nothing wrong with pulling those caps but that should not be necessary.

I have not seen a water tight battery box, they usually have vents pointing down and you can charge in them. If it is sealed, charging will create hydrogen etc. so you would not want to charge it in a sealed box.

I would not be worried about the flammability but more corrosion from the charging.

·
Scottish Member
12,211 Posts

/
lots of batteries have maintenance caps, all of my lawn mower and boat batteries have them.

·
2,386 Posts
What RenoF250 said.

That type 24 Walmart battery has poor AH (Amp Hour) specs. It will work just fine, but for shorter run times. Compare it to a type 27 with 90 or 95+ AH that will keep you on the water longer. Type 24 and 27 will both fit in your battery box.

If you can get a type 31 battery even better with around 115 AH, but they weigh more too. May need a different box to fit a type 31. Might need to make your own or re-purpose a rubbermaid box (with vent holes drilled near the top) or something similar just to keep the battery dry and strapped upright in your boat.

You gotta look around at the options available in your area, it seems they change every year. Don't be fooled at the "brand name", I understand all these $100-ish auto/marine batteries are pretty much all made at the same plant. Look for the Amp Hour specs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I’ve had good luck with that very same battery in the past. It will work fine. Yes it always a good idea to charge the battery in a well ventilated area.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,443 Posts
My friends and I have happily used the Everstart Maxx Group 29DC batteries for trolling motors for many years. I bought 3 in 2014 and they were great. 2 of the them are still getting light use on 12v transom mounted trolling motors. I don't see why the Group 24DC batteries would be any different. Yeah, they're smaller, but that's obvious.

Two years ago I bought 2 of the batteries linked earlier, the Duracell Ultra 31M, to use on my Maxxum 70 trolling motor. They're at least as good as the Walmart batteries.

Remember to charge them as soon as you get home. Don't wait a week or three until you're ready to go fishing the next time.

Edited to add: In all the years I've run trolling motors, I think I've taken the battery caps off once - yep, there was fluid in there. :)

·
NRA Benefactor
7,443 Posts
123.JPG
The NOCO are fine and have held up well. I have 2 screwed to the floor of my 1648. The fancy ones wouldn't hold a Group 31.

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts