question regarding entering the army

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by powercore01, Mar 23, 2020.

1. powercore01

powercore01

hi, right out of the gate, i'm a soft more college student who has depression,anxiety, and anger issues. i go to a psychiatrist to talk and sort this out and even take some anti-depressants. i want to join infantry but my parents feel like i'm not at all suited for it (i wonder if i would even be allowed into the army). i just want some real advice, what do i do, what do i improve, what do i say?

NMG26 likes this.
  2. redrick

redrick

The army is not going to cure you . IMO you should keep seeing your doctor or try another doctor until you feel better . Then decide what you want to do in life . Going in the service is a big commitment . You don’t want a bad mark that will follow you the rest of your life if you get in trouble there .

You should try jogging and going to the gym . That will help with your depression and when you get to feeling better about yourself , it might help with your anxiety and anger .

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020

3. rangerjd

rangerjd

A couple of things, as an Infantry Soldier, which I was for years, some of the things you discuss are not compatible with being an Infantry Soldier. Number 1 is anger problems. You have to be able to think on your feet, react, shoot, move, communicate very quickly. Severe anger only clouds the thinking and gets people killed. Talk with a recruiter, they can give you the best information on this subject.

Also, not to sound picky, but it's the same thing I would tell all three of my sons, who went Infantry. Learn how to write better, ie, using capitalization where needed, etc..

powercore01, Redeemed, Bus007 and 2 others like this.
  4. nursetim

nursetim

You can talk to a recruiter, worst he can say is no. The Army is not a great place to workout mental health issues, it might cure you, MIGHT, but it could easily push you over the edge. Talk to your psychiatrist about your goals.

5. Deltic

Deltic

Take my word for it the Army is not for you.

Army66, powercore01, sonoma and 4 others like this.
  6. NMG26

NMG26

Pretty sure there is a questionnaire about psychiatric treatment. Go talk to a recruiter.

They won't take you if you fit a certain profile.

powercore01, rangerjd and nursetim like this.
  7. nursetim

nursetim

That are taking gang bangers, he’ll we had a couple in our basic company, vice lords, they might waver him in. Gang bangers are not known for their cool level headedness, OGs, yes, soldiers in gangs, not so much.

powercore01, 1bigK and NMG26 like this.
  8. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Not going to take someone on anxiety or anti-depressants. You can ask a recruiter but I'm here to tell you it ain't gonna happen. The military has enough problems with perfectly healthy people who make it past the recruiting filter. They are not going to sink a gazillion dollars into a new recruit with diagnosed problems when there are 10 perfectly healthy people standing in line behind you. Sorry to be blunt but I don't want to sugar coat reality for you...

powercore01, rangerjd, 1bigK and 2 others like this.
  9. wapiti22

wapiti22

The Marines are still looking for a few good men or so I heard.

powercore01 likes this.
  10. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I went in with out much anger issues left with anger issues. Lol not sure how it would work starting out with them.
    Learned alot of good things and learned a few bad things.

11. NMG26

NMG26

It was 1986 for me.

So, I can't tell you. I had to get a wavier for some stuff.

Are you afraid to talk to a recruiter?

Let us know how it works out. Truly interested.

powercore01 and rangerjd like this.
  12. scattershot

scattershot

As gently as I can, I’ll say that I don’t think you would be a good fit in the Army.

13. powercore01

powercore01

a
    I went to one before I entered college. When I went in I pretty much was freaking out, and was nervous/anxious as hell due to both my anxiety and regret. Both due to being scared I would miss out on college and that it would be a huge mistake if I joined. Ended up not going (as you can tell by my post). I'm in college but i'm frustrated that I didn't join. plus, it doesn't help that i'm now have the damn psychiatry and mental issues dragging me down. To be honest, I can't speak with my family about this since I'm biased as hell so I don't trust my intuition. I never considered not being fit for the military, I considered the possibility but I never looked past that.

rangerjd likes this.
  14. powercore01

powercore01

I went to one before I entered college. When I went in I pretty much was freaking out, and was nervous/anxious as hell due to both my anxiety and regret. Both due to being scared I would miss out on college and that it would be a huge mistake if I joined. Ended up not going (as you can tell by my post). I'm in college but i'm frustrated that I didn't join. plus, it doesn't help that i'm now have the damn psychiatry and mental issues dragging me down. To be honest, I can't speak with my family about this since I'm biased as hell so I don't trust my intuition. I never considered not being fit for the military, I considered the possibility but I never looked past that.

15. powercore01

powercore01

*what do I now?*

16. NMG26

NMG26

Wouldn't be the first time someone signed up, to get funds for college. Go for it. You need to figure out how to quit being scared of stuff. For me it was a spiritual thing, "perfect love casts out fear ".

powercore01 and Bow Commander like this.
  17. Deltic

Deltic

I think you should look for something that is low stress and routine and does not involve dealing with really unpleasant people. You should be looking for the opposite of the Army.

18. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

One of the people on here said it already. Talk to your doctor, and if you're not comfortable, then find another.

The army is no place to run from your problems. It will only make them worse. Should something happen, you may also be discharged with a dishonorable discharge, or an other than honorable discharge, none of which you may want later in life.

You need to work on your own problems first. The army, in fact no branch of the service, is what you see on TV. Far from it.

I wish you the very best in life, and hope that all works out favorably for you.

Stay well, you have a long and productive life ahead of you. Enjoy it.

19. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 Free Actor

..........................."soft more".....?

powercore01 and Victor Dubya like this.
  20. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

G
    Give him some slack, he's a kid.

powercore01 likes this.