close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on which material for new roof

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mr981

Mr981

After 15 years--and a few leaks--a local roofer with a good reputation inspected our roof and said that the 30 year shingle we thought we had might be good for a few more but that's it. Lot's of cracked shingles and we seem to be loosing more with every storm so he recommended re-roofing in the next few years: removing rather than shingling over what's down and putting in a waterproof membrane to prevent leaks.

According to him the quality of asphalt shingles has declined over the years to the point of roughly a 20 year life span at best. Our existing shingle is from OC.

His estimate took me by surprise-$15K--but this is a cape with a wrap porch,attached screened in porch, requiring a lot of shingles and care putting it down.

Since--according to him, asphalt shingles are only good for 15-20year and we aren't going anywhere, I wondered if it was time to consider a metal roof or something else. When I mentioned metal roof his estimate went up 3X--wheich means it isn't going t happen.

Any other roofing material alternatives out there with good lifespans, that are reasonably comparable to the AS ?

thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. javi

javi

Just as reference, around here in NC (Charlotte area) you are going to pay around 80.00 per square (cover aprox. 100sqft) and 50.00 for labor including tear down and disposal fee and new felt paper... metal roof will be a lot more expensive, I would still opt for 30 year arch. shingles

3. George Tucker

George Tucker George Tucker

Asphalt shingles have really went up in price, because of oil prices, we went threw 2 asphalt roofs, finally went to metal, best decision we ever made, should of done it yrs ago.

4. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

Yes its gotten crazy expensive and the materials seem to have half the lifespan they used to.
    Im a contractor, and I sometime work in conjunction with a roofer, and I hate to see the faces of customers when they hear the price to re roof a mexican tile style roof...:wow:

For $15-$20k, I could BUY a house in mexico!

I would suggest getting a few bids, letting the roofer now know that as well, then see if there is a middle ground, where he goes and replaces whats bad for a fraction of the cost to buy you some time.

I know alot of people who save a buck by getting a dumpster, then tearing down themselves, that right there should be a third of the cost.

Either way, good luck!

5. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I was going to re-shingle my roof about 5 years ago as after 25 years, things were getting dodgy up on the roof. Pretty simple roof, and not a steep pitch, so thought about doing it myself, but the idea of lugging bundles of aspahlt shingles up the ladder kept poking at my lazy-bone.:supergrin:

After a couple calls got a well reputed metal roofing company to come out and got an estimate for 4500 bucks to install standing seam. (about 24 square) and even the shed roof done in same material (another 5 or 6 square). Guys showed up in a couple weeks and knocked it all out in one day. One of the smartest things I ever did. No problems with ice dams or snow build-up. Only draw back is that you don't want to be under the eaves of the house when one of those snow avalanches lets loose!:wow:

Figure I'll never have to go back up on the roof again now.

I'd vote going metal, but make sure to get referances about the company. Lot of roofers come and go, so pick one that's more likely to be around for a few years in case there is a problem later on.

PS..edited to add that in my case, the metal roof went right over the original shingles. If the roof is structrually sound, and only one layer of shingles, no problem, and it saves the time and expense of ripping off the old stuff.

6. NCwriter

NCwriter Senior Member

Yes, get many bids! Very competitive. We just got ours done last year and I was very surprised by the wide differences in the bids. For instance I saw what I thought was a local Home Depot doing my neighbors roof, it looked good so I asked him. He said it was not HD they just delivered the material. But during the bidding process I went to my local HD and got a bid of 22K, which was double two other bids i got. I also wanted a metal roof which was very expensive, I'm 53 and a 50 year warranty did not interest me. So we took the lowest bid of around 9K and he did a good job. 30 year architectural type shingles and included removal and strip off of old roof. I had to do a lot of extra cleanup, but I didn't care as I got a good roofing job. The moral of my story is get as many bids as possible, you will be very surprised. Good luck.

7. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Get lots of bids, check references.

Depending on the style of your house, you might consider a standing seam metal roof.

9. Kozel

Kozel

Get last roof you will ever need – steel roof.

10. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

metal roofs are great, but they CAN rust, and don't get any with exposed neoprene washers. The salesman will tell you the neoprene lasts forever, it does not.
    2000 exposed washers is a disaster waiting to happen.
    I would either go architectual shingles, or if your shingles now are not curling bad you can foam over it for half the price. Lots of companies are using foam now, if it ever goes bad in a spot, you just reapply more foam in that spot, and it insulates.
    Especially good for flat roofs on top on Modified single membrane.

My roof has low pitched shingles, 25 years, and flat single ply which is only warrantied for 12 years. After 12 years I will probably foam the whole thing even the shingles.

One more thing, I repair houses, I am now getting bids on homes that are thousands less than 4 years ago. Lots of out of work roofers need jobs.
    Get a bid, then go back and tell them what you will pay. You may be surprised.

11. Kozel

Kozel

Washers are only an issue in flat steel roofs. Steel tile does not have that problem.

Rust? Only if it was installed by somebody who scratched the heck out if it.

http://beststeelroof.com/spanish-tile-roof

12. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Terne, most expensive. Clay tile, 2nd most expensive. Pick one, both are 50 year roofs, and will take a 2nd mortgage to pay for.. unless you're sitting on a fat wad of cash that needs using to avoid taxation.

Both are considered fireproof and will lower household insurance, as will installing lightning rods afterwards.

IMO the terne roof is best because of the sound during a rain. Soothing..

don't forget the energy efficiency 30% tax credit the next year, it applies to many metal/clay roofs. It's only good for 1500$ (up to, 30% of materials cost) but that's enough to bother with. Negotiate FIRMLY, most metal roofs have a higher than normal profit margin built it, because they are top shelf.. it's difficult to get a bargain on labor when you're using the best materials. Keep trying, SOMEBODY will do the work cheap in this economy.. but triple check their application methods, do-overs suck.

13. Mr981

Mr981

As always, great info; thanks for the help.

14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Wow, $15K seems very high to me. Did he give you a break down on material and labor.

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

I seen them rust, you are right it's rare and I wouldn't be too concerned with it. But most any steel CAN rust.
    The exposed washers I would be concerned with.
    The make them without exposed washers so why take a chance?

16. Zagato

Zagato

copper! a house near me was re-roofed a few years ago with copper shingles. Looked absolutely beautiful after it was done. Now it has settled to a nice dark patina. Cant imagine what it costs, but i would think thats the last roof the owner will ever need.

17. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

A house can only be re-roofed three times, then a tear-off of the old roofs must be done before the new one roof can be installed. Also a good time to replace any rotten wood.

The color of the asphalt shingle effects its life expectancy also. Darker colors absorb more heat and break down quicker.

Slate tiles are one of the best roofing materials available, but pricey. Should be good for over 50 years. Also look to concrete tiles.