Question on shooting groundhogs

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by frank4570, May 29, 2005.

1. frank4570

frank4570

Does anybody know of a site that has a chart of the kill zones and anatomy of a groundhog? I made a hit on a groundhog yesterday with a 10mm that I thought for sure would anchor him.I was very wrong.I did finally kill him, but it should have ended very quickly.
    Thanks.

2. Hole Shot

Hole Shot Can't remember

I don't know about a diagram, but about anyplace you hit one other than grazing him should kill one. I grew up hunting them and used all kinds of firearms. In my experience they are not all that tough. That being said a friend of mine used to use a .22 and if he didn't get it in the vitals sometimes it would go down the hole but you never saw it again if it did. Sorry I'm not being much help.

3. frank4570

frank4570

Well, here is the whole story. My target hog was at about 17 yards. I had no rest and was out in the open so I had to either take the shot or alert the hog to the fact that he was being hunted. I took the shot. I aimed for center of head, to preserve the pelt. My hit was in through the left eye and out just forward of the right eye.About 1.5 inches of penetration. He recoiled and ran. Now I was trying to hit a moving target with the distance getting longer. I took another shot which connected at 21 yards. In through the right rear leg,leg destroyed, into the stomach cavity and exploded out through the belly.Groundhog gave no indication of being hit. A last shot at 25 yards was a clean miss as the hog went over a board and under an old building.
    It was just before dark and I had to go get a flashlight.I returned about 20 minutes later. My most important goal at this point was to put the wounded hog down.
    My flashlight showed the hog looking at me with his good eye, in very bad shape, but alive enough to try to move away from a stick was going to use to retrieve him. My last shot was just behind the ear, end of story.
    I think the first shot was a reasonable hit for the distance and condition. But a better amipoint may be in order. I am thinking that maybe if I use center of neck, I will have a better kill and still preserve the pelt. On the other hand, I never thought he would keep going after getting hit in the eye with a 180gr XTP at 1400fps.

4. noway

noway

You have to be pulling our legs on this. Three shots on a groundhog, what where you using XTP bullet made out of air?

We are talkin about a groundhog right;

[​IMG]

5. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

I'm suprised it lived after the first shot from a 10mm. I have killed them with a single .22 shot before. Some of them are suprisingly tough though. I had to shoot one three times with my .22, as it charged me.(wish my .22 accepted a bayonet;f) I really like using my .270 with 130gr. Federal Premium Ballistic Tips. I have never seen a hog take more than one shot from that.

6. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

I witnessed the above charging. Never thought I would see that.;P

7. frank4570

frank4570

Yep, same animal. Although this was a very big hog. I was looking for a big pelt afterall.Maybe 15 to 18 lbs. Big by local standards, but not huge. I understand our southern hogs are a lot bigger and a lot fewer than the northern hogs. Still shouldn't make that much difference though. I am thinking that if I aim for center of neck I will either get the arteries and spinal column, or the brain, or the heart-lung area. Thinking never usually works out well for me though.

8. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

A shot to the base of the brain will turn of any animal since that's where the body functions are controlled. The rest is there for reasoning, emotions, memory, etc. Damned if I ever saw a woodchuck with much of any of that in the first place so it's not suprising he could chug along without it. ;f

I will say that normally the shock imparted by blowing out the front of the brain is enough to send the back into a tizzy, but taking out a small piece and some facial bone leads to what you had there. A similar situation with the shot to through the guts. It's definately a hole, but intestines and such, while important for a prolonged life, aren't really necessary and don't transport the shock to the vitals.

Good handgun hunting bullets don't do too much on small game except pass right on through looking for something meatier to expand on or break. They're also relatively slow so there isn't a heck of a lot of shock imparted into the customer.

A brain shot and shock are the only things I've seen that can flick a critter off like a switch. Shock is one of the reasons little needle guns like the .17 centerfires can drop coyotes like nobody's business. The brain gets flooded with so many messages screaming "Oh SH*T" at the same time it gets confused and stops sending messages.

Then there's always the uber-critter. We've all met that deer/rabbit/coyote/etc that thinks it's a cape buffalo and simply refuses to go down even though all logic says it should. While we all wish to take animals quickly, you have to stand in awe of that type of will.

9. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

I've shot a few with my 10mm. Usually the only things left are his shoes, socks, and hat.

10. frank4570

frank4570

You lost me, what are you talking about?

11. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

I use to shoot them all the time on my grandparents farm in Ohio. A single shot from a .22lr always done the trick.

12. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

Sorry. It was a bad joke. I was trying to say that it blows them away.

13. MatGlock

MatGlock

What do you do with a Groundhog pelt?? Groundhog hat? A scarf for the lady??Please post pics!!

Most of the groundhogs I have shot with anything bigger than a 22 have gone down quickly (including 9mm, 40s&w, 223, 243, ect).

22LR can be a little touch and go with body shots, but it will do the job. 10mm should smoke em pretty good.

14. frank4570

frank4570

The reason for the pelt is I want to make a bandolier style holster for my 10mm with the fur on the inside so the pistol clears quietly for hunting.Also the bandolier style makes more sense for wearing over heavy hunting clothing. And it will be a big improvement for riding on a tractor with a steel seat.
    I will use my kydex holster for when I am off the farm.
    The hide is dried and stretched, but nothing more, yet.

15. MatGlock

MatGlock

Hmm...Never thought of doing that. It would certainly send a message to the other little buggers.

16. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

18 lbs??! That's one heller of a whistlepig.

My Dad was a pharmacuetical salesman in Kentucky in the early '60s. He always kept the old trusty Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .243 in the car with him. Whist traveling the backroads, he ridded many a farmer of the dreaded charging groundhog.

17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

18. frank4570

frank4570

It took me a while to find the pics. I finally re-found Randy's website. He sent me the pics a long time ago, but I figured it would be better if I didn't mention it here untill I had more than just some vague story about "my friend saw this groundhog once" that was 38lbs. Look at the pic of the mounted hog for yourself.Randy is completely obsesed with hunting hogs and he has always loved this mounted one that his friend shot. Randy travels all over this end of the country and he tells me the northern hogs are much smaller and way way more prolific. I understand it is possible up north to burn up your barrel in the groundhog fields. 5 shots total is more common around here.
    http://nextcountyover.com/aboutme.html

y'all enjoy.

19. Scunyon

Scunyon Ticket Stroker

LMFAO`l ~rf

20. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

big big hogs.. wow.. I hunted groundhog in PA for many years, some days we shot 9-12 a day between my friend and I.. usually 50-200 yds with .222 and .270 type rounds.. Shot one with my Bow once :) went through the long way, messed my arrow up. lol. duh should have figured that before i shot the critter

Yes i think groundhogs are pretty prolific in PA at least, i never seemed to run out shooting them summer to summer.. Most farmers were happy to let us shoot them, never did anything with them though... only really saw a few that had decent pelts.. although my buddies Grandmother asked us why we didn't bring them home to eat ;P ..

nah.. don't think so.. lol..

otherwise i don't see why a 10mm at even 50yds would not kill them..of course at 20+ lbs it may be dicey..the ones i shot usually went 5-15 max i think..

Had some friends that used to set up the benchrest rifles and shoot them at 500-1000 yds, they hit some but not that many :).. fun to try though..

good luck have fun.