close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on powder charges.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by davesretired1, Feb 2, 2010.

1. davesretired1

davesretired1

I'm going to start loading 185gr and 200gr JHP's for .45 in my Mod. 30. I've seen people praise Universal and WST powders. Can anyone steer me towards a midrange load using these powders and bullet weights? And to curtail any 'look in a manual' responses, I've checked three different reloading manuals and numerous web sites, and everyone of them have different ranges. Guess I'm looking for some practical/field experience suggestions. TIA. Dave

2. GLShooter

GLShooter

I'll tell you up front I have not used either powder but I do know my way around the jungle on book data. :cool:

Look over your manuals and eliminate the highest load you find. I would then look over my second highest and see what its low point is. 3.0 gr to 6.0 grains, shall we say. I'd start loading at about 4 or 4.5 and work up to 6.0. I'd run a chronograph as I shoot them for groups. Group testing will be at 15 yards to start. If I am happy with that then I will be moving out to 25.

Function will be checked as the data is accumulated. You may want to tune your springs and ejector when you settle on a load.

In the 45 ACP you won't see a lot of pressure signs as the pressures are pretty low by design. If I go off into the land of + P loading then I will start looking at them but in reality the hottest stuff I started loading in 1976 out of an OLD Sierra book was hot an Arizona sidewalk in the middle of July. No pressure signs and the 170 grainers would take down a 40 pound IHMSA ram at 200 meters in a heartbeat out of my old Hardballer.

Greg

3. sourdough44

sourdough44

The closest I've loaded to your specs is a 200 grn 'plated' RN with 6.1 Universal. It cycled fine in 3 different 45s & is a mid range load. You may have some minor allowances with your jacketed bullet. Either way don't get to wild until you test a few, 10-20 should do.

4. fredj338

fredj338

I go a bit diff route than GLS. I take the data from 3 sources & average it, then go right to the middle load. Load 10, then load 10 @ 0.1gr + & 10 @ 0.1gr-. Shoot them in order, look for accuracy, reliabilty, complete powder burn. For WST 5.1gr w/ the 185gr & 5gr for the 200gr. Load as long an OAL as your pistol will accept. Very accurate, very clean burning, vel. about 900fps & 850fps respectively.

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use 4.4 WST with a 200gr. moly bullet. it works on my G30, your results may vary.

6. davesretired1

davesretired1

Thanks. When I have results, I'll post them for anyone who's interested. Dave

7. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

I show loads for the 45 ACP using, of all things, 45 different types of powder. Hmmmm.
    More loads with Unique than any other powder. Could be that, since it has been around for so long, many folks just use it. Plus it works with alot of different cartridges. The new stuff is alot cleaner than the old stuff. I have cans of both and I can see a big difference.
    Do what Fred suggested. Look at 'em all, consider all loads and just pick a reasonably safe starting point.

8. Parisite

Parisite

Universal will work, but I recommend a faster burning powder for 45acp such as Bullseye, Clays, 231, Red Dot and the like. WST is a real fast burning powder too.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Only ever so slightly faster than W231, but cleaner. Not even close to Clays or RedDot.