close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question on jury duty experience

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mr981

Mr981

My wife just got kicked off jury duty involving a theft because she had been the victim of theft in her business.

The particular case involves a woman getting stopped in the "vestibule" of a well-known retail store (one that gets bashed on this forum with some frequency) with $40 worth of goods in her possession as she attempted to exit the store--a good ways from the cash register.

What suprised me was that this went to trial and tied up the time of 16 potential jurors, attorneys on both sides and the judge.

This isn't grand theft and even wonder if it's a felony. Any ideas on why this case just didn't get pleaded out?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

When you're charged w/ a crime, you have a right to a trial and be judged by a jury of your peers... Obviously the defendant didn't feel the need to plea, maybe they really didn't do it, I don't know.

IGF

3. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I don;t have any expirence yet, but I just got my first notice in the mail this week. I have to report on the 29th. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

4. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

I've seen similar cases where the defendent is a repeat offender they are trying to nail.

5. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Well, this certain "well known retailer" has signs posted throughout that says "We prosecute shoplifters" so maybe their Bentonville lawyers call the DA and push for the maximum so the average Jane/Joe has to go to trial or plead guilty with no deal?

6. fgutie35

fgutie35

I will answer the first question first.
    The reason why she was kicked out, was because she was a liability to one of the lawyers. Usually before the case, both lawyers ask questions to the jury. This is done to weed out the people that will bias. I found out on my last jury duty, that if you even open your mouth, during the questioning, you will be thrown out.

For the second question, some people that are rich or think they have "Wonder Lawyer" as their family attorney, will try to get away with murder, even if it is a small offense. As I mentioned before, the last time I served as jury, it involved a case where a lady who is a member of a wealthy prominent family here in the region, was being accused of driving while intoxicated accompanied by her infant son. Even though all the evidence and police testimony were against her, she was still willing to give it a shot. Wether to clean her name or for confidence on her big shot lawyer, she was willing to pay the big bucks; well, she looked like she had the money anyways.

Oh! yeah I forgot. WE found her guilty.:tongueout:

7. area727

area727 G23

Funny thing. I was called for jury duty last week. the case i got called into was for robbery. Some guy was accused of take this lady's purse or something. So I was called in with about 20 other potential jurors. When asked if anyone had been robbed, I told I had been (apartment broken into many years back). Well, to make a short story short, I was not picked to serve on the jury, and neither were any of the other people that had said they'd been robbed in the past.

8. RickD6023

RickD6023

I had jury duty last month. I wasn't called for the main panel but was called to be an alternate (just sit there and listen as if you were going to vote) for a grand theft trial. I was asked if I know anyone in the legal profession. I met the judge at a social gathering, my son played soccer with the #2 in the DAs office, and I know several deputies and reserve deputies. Asked how I know them I responded through organizations I'm with. Next - what orgs? former USAF fighter pilot, NRA, CRPA, USPSA, IDPA, USCCA and more. :whistling: I was dismissed.

The attorneys try to create a panel that will look favorably upon their client. It's give and take between the two. Ultimately, they run out of challenges and the panel is set.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I found that myself.... It seemed they already knew who they wanted from our questionnaire. Everyone that they asked detailed questions of, was let go. When they were questioning us during voi dire, they asked the other potentials questions, and due to my number, I was near the end. Some people were just openly answering questions w/o being questioned, but I just sat there.

Finally after about 20min, the Prosecutor says, "Juror... You've been awful quiet". I said, "Well, you haven't asked me a question". Then she didn't even bother asking me a question, and went on to the last potential. The Defense lawyer didn't ask me any questions either, and I ended up on the jury...

Go figure.

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

She may feel she was unlawfully detained or observed.

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Thank you.

You've just made sure that if you're ever on a jury trying my innocence or guilt that I'll make sure you hit the road if no one else. Sounds as if you're biased against lawyers and especially those who may be paid more than you can afford. You're obviously biased against anyone you feel "has money". And you appear to take the wrong type of satisfaction in finding such a person guilty. It seems, from your comments..........that you have a pointed disdain for the processes of our system, because they evidently are aimed at eliminating anyone who may have a reason to vote a certain way and may perhaps not posses the ability to be impartial.

You don't spark any belief that you could or would be impartial, or even remotely "fair". You appear to bring your distaste for anyone "with money" into the court with you. Sad and ugly.

I'm sure you don't see yourself in that way, almost everyone who's like that doesn't seem to have that ability. But your comments speak all that's needed to be known about your basis's, and your character. I know that you're not, but I'm really embarrassed for you.

12. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

Jury duty (and experiences such as your wife had) give us first hand experience with our "criminal justice system" and how much of it is just play acting with frequently no reasonable outcome.

A few years ago I served five days as foreman of a jury on a case where a drug dealer was using his 12 year old daughter to push MJ weed in her junior high school. we returned verdicts of guilty on all counts of possession and possession with intent to distribute. I took the judge some two months to come up with a sentence - which was probation - not a day of jail time.

Our jury - only doing our civic duty - was "incarcerated" (held against our will) longer than the guilty defendant -:upeyes:

13. Swiper

Swiper

Maybe she honestly thought she was innocent? It's possible that she just forgot to pay for it and that there was no intent to commit a crime.

14. Mr981

Mr981

That's what I thought and wondered if she could have just have had a heart 2 heart with the store mgr. that his could have been resolved without the judicial system.
    Then again, WM HQ may have developed a very hard stance on this, from which there isn't any deviation by the local store.

15. fgutie35

fgutie35

I'm glad you let it out of your chest, and your point is???:dunno:

16. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

The really funny thing is people STILL ask me "How do I get out of jury duty?" When its hard NOT to be excluded if you have a brain, job, solid opinions.
    I also was foreman. I was honest during questioning. (maybe downplayed stuff a little) I was honest in that I would look at ALL the evidence before deciding. (many at close of first day said "why waste our time he is guilty lets vote and save time" ) Yes he was guilty but I tried to remind them that his side had NOT had a chance to give his side. (when it came his side was very lame)
    Do NOT take it personally if you are excluded. Lawyers use many (tricks) to try to get a jury that they THINK will vote thier way... What kind of cases women are more likely then men to vote (for or against) if married, etc.
    If you try to get excluded you can expect the judge to stick you in another courtroom to go thru it again on another case. (others will often be sent back to lobby for hr then sent home)
    I actually enjoyed it. Would gladly do it again (even with over hr drive each way and final pay barely paid for good dinner) Sad thing is a person can't (apply online) for times it would be easy to serve.
    I have gotten called when its busy time. I was told after begging of a few times they would get nasty. So far never happened. (and they never will even take down my request for do-able dates)

17. jlh2600

jlh2600 Game Master

From the introductions, I knew I wouldn't be able to handle listening to the DA at all. She must have gotten that message just from body language/no eye contact etc., because she didn't even bother asking me the questions she asked everyone else. Just dismissed me.

That's about as far as I'll go to get off. Would never come out and say something like "You NEED me on that jury- I can tell if a man's guilty just by looking at him", it's a gift. If I had to I had to. I get jury pay from my job, & the court ALMOST covers what I had to pay for parking. almost.