close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on Internet in the Car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gatorhugger, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Ok, I am old, let's get that outta the way.
    I need a laptop that I can put in my car and can be internet connected anywhere I go.
    What is the best laptop for under say $600 and what is the best service to buy to keep it connected? I also will need a cell phone plan as well but the phone doesn't need internet if I have a laptop. The phone will be for making phone calls.
    Can I get one service plan for a phone and laptop? Is it more expensive to do it that way per month than say getting a blackberry?
    I need a full keyboard for work so that is why I was thinking about a laptop.
    What can I expect to spend per month on service?

I am sure this is a very basic question but I would rather be an idiot here than walking into a best buy totally lost.

2. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

This looks like a pretty good laptop. Toshiba used to sell more computers worldwide than anyone else. Don't know if that's still true.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...eeze/9672226.p?id=1218142704651&skuId=9672226

You can either get a dedicated air card for the computer or use an Internet enabled cell phone as a modem. I have a Verizon Palm Centro with a data plan that I can use as a modem for the laptop when I'm out or traveling. The data plan is $30.00 a month for 250 mb so you don't want to be downloading full length movies. I get about 1 mbs download speed so it's not too shabby. Go to:

http://www.verizonwireless.com

and check it out.

ps I have a Dell Vostro and I'm pretty pleased with it.

3. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

I love my gate wat NV78 i got at best but for less than $600

Alex

4. ldcarson

ldcarson

i'd go with a netbook, lightweight, small, 7-9 hour battery and get it with gsm/3gs connectivity...

5. RustySocket

RustySocket

I tether my blackberry to my laptop when on the road. Not blazing fast but gets the job done and no extra charges.