Glock Talk banner

Question on IDPA pistol changes for Glocks

1946 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Wil Ufgood
Hello everyone.

We are having a friendly conversation where I shoot IDPA.

A simple question: Will changing the OEM plain black "Slide Cover Plate" to an identical plate that
has the American flag on it be considered "illegal" in IDPA matches?

My opinion is that since the plate does not effect the performance of the gun, nor does it sway away from original
equipment, it's legal.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Sarge
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· GTDS #88
3,302 Posts
8.2.1.3 SSP Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
8.2.1.3.1 Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights.
8.2.1.3.2 Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration and do not weigh more than 2.00 oz. (56.7 grams) more than the factory standard weight for that model.
8.2.1.3.3 Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.
8.2.1.3.4 Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel.
8.2.1.3.5 Frames may be replaced with identical frames from the same manufacturer.
8.2.1.3.6 A slip-on grip sock and/or grip tape, skateboard tape, etc. may be used.
8.2.1.3.7 Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications allowed).
8.2.1.3.8 Internal reliability work.
8.2.1.3.9 Aftermarket extractors and pins may be used.
8.2.1.3.10 Internal accuracy work.
8.2.1.3.11 Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration that uses the original cartridge.
8.2.1.3.12 Plastic plugs may be used to fill the opening behind the magazine well.
8.2.1.3.13 Custom finishes may be applied.
8.2.1.3.14 Stock slide cover plates may be refinished.
8.2.1.3.15 Slides may be engraved. Engraving is defined as etching into the slide of logos, letters, and graphics no deeper than the original factory logos.
8.2.1.3.16 Stippling and texturing may be performed on readily replaceable parts of the grip frame such as replaceable back straps and replaceable grip panels.
8.2.1.3.17 Aftermarket magazines may be used provided they do not weigh more than 1.00 oz. (28.3 grams) over the same capacity factory magazine.
- 35 -
8.2.1.3.18 Aftermarket magazine base pads may be used provided they do not make the magazine weight more than 1.00 oz. (28.3 grams) over the same capacity factory magazine.
8.2.1.3.19 Magazine base pads may be modified by reshaping, texturing, or adding bumper pads provided that they do not make the magazine weigh more than 1.00 oz. (28.3 grams) over the same capacity factory magazine.
8.2.1.3.20 Magazines that are longer than stock may be used provided they meet all other division requirements.
8.2.1.4 SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
8.2.1.4.1 Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section.
8.2.1.4.2 Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, and hammers.
8.2.1.4.3 Robar-style grip reduction.
8.2.1.4.4 Add-on magazine well opening.
8.2.1.4.5 Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.
8.2.1.4.6 A barrel that uses a different cartridge that is not offered in the original factory model.
8.2.1.4.7 Customization of the slide by adding front cocking serrations, tri-top, carry melts, and high power cuts.
8.2.1.4.8 Compensated/ported firearms with non-compensated/ported barrels installed.
8.2.1.4.9 Checkering or stippling on non-readily replaceable parts of the grip frame.
8.2.1.4.10 Aftermarket slides.
8.2.1.4.11 Removing material from the magazine well opening.
8.2.1.4.12 Aftermarket grip tang extensions or beavertails.
8.2.1.4.13 Disabling the slide stop.

· Time to Go....
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...."refinished" would allow the "after market" slide cover plates that have the flag printed on the plate......I guess.....They are otherwise identical to the OEM slide cover plate..............

8.2.1.3.13 "Custom finishes may be applied."
8.2.1.3.14 "Stock slide cover plates may be refinished."

Anyone else?

· Registered
2,623 Posts
Wil makes a good point. If the plate is a visible non-OEM modification, that wouldn't be legal. If it is an OEM plate that has a flag applied to it, then it would be legal.

· Time to Go....
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems stupid to me too. How does one know that my flag plate was'nt "refinished?"

These are the same points being made where I shoot. I hope I get some more comments.

Sarge

· Time to Go....
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm....Stippling, custom finishes, engraving???All allowed....

These things are different than OEM, one could argue that the plate is custom finished or engraved.

Still wondering. I hope more folks see this.

Sarge

· GTDS #88
3,302 Posts
Hmmm....Stippling, custom finishes, engraving???All allowed....

These things are different than OEM, one could argue that the plate is custom finished or engraved.

Still wondering. I hope more folks see this.

Sarge
The arguement will be that this was done on OEM parts. I disagree with some of the IDPA rules but they are what they are. Maybe someone has encountered this, I'd be interested in the outcome.

· SuperOwner
7,674 Posts
Hello everyone.

We are having a friendly conversation where I shoot IDPA.

A simple question: Will changing the OEM plain black "Slide Cover Plate" to an identical plate that
has the American flag on it be considered "illegal" in IDPA matches?
If "identical plate" means a Glock OEM part refinished, you are GTG. If "identical plate" mean a Lone Wolf Part, it is not GTG.

· Registered
6,390 Posts
Seems stupid to me too. How does one know that my flag plate was'nt "refinished?"

These are the same points being made where I shoot. I hope I get some more comments.

Sarge
YOU know the plate is a replacement. I have not seen a tech inspection that would spot it at anything short of a very picky state level chronograph and gun check stage. You may choose whether to follow the rules or not where you shoot at Level 1, nobody is likely to notice.

· Registered
8,959 Posts
At a local level, it means nothing. I have seen weapon inspections at the State level, and higher, but it takes an enormous amount of time, and the only shooter I saw get bumped into ESP was for a SS guide rod. So he just put OEM guide rod assembly in and remained in SSP.

· GTDS #88
3,302 Posts
At a local level, it means nothing. I have seen weapon inspections at the State level, and higher, but it takes an enormous amount of time, and the only shooter I saw get bumped into ESP was for a SS guide rod. So he just put OEM guide rod assembly in and remained in SSP.
I wouldn't get too crazy about getting pushed into ESP. The mods in IDPA are pretty tame, don't really see them as game changers. I shoot a .40 1911 so I'm in ESP all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.