close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question on glock sights...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rabbit, Jan 9, 2006.

1. rabbit

rabbit

i own and carry the G26 daily, everywhere. i also just recently purchased a don hume YSO (yaki) holster.. i love the way this holster looks and feels... its very nice and the leather is sharp as a tac! however, if you are not familiar with this model holster, the bottom part of the G26 sticks out as it is supposed to, leaving the end of the gun and the front sight exposed to wear (jacket zippers, jean buttons, etc.) i was wondering if this would ever pose a threat to the sight as far as knocking them off or causing them to be off...(if that is possible) this just kind of dawned on me and i wanted to ask you guys and see if ya had any commenting on this... thanks!

also, does anyone own this same don hume holster?:) it fits 10 different glock pistols!!!!!

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

The weakest link on a Glock is the sights, mainly the Glock front sight. Yes It can be ripped off every easley.

3. rabbit

rabbit

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yup, the Glock front sight can be knocked off without too much effort, but it does take a little effort.....I've never accidently knocked one off.

Anyway, if you do carry it you should probably have a night sight on it anyway, at least on the front. If you don't want a night sight, and like the white dot, scroll down to the bottom of this page: Ameriglo front Glock sights .

;?

5. rabbit

rabbit

thanks butch. i wish glock made the sites on their guns part of the tennifer. that would be sweet if they made them like that and they were ALREADY night sighted... wow. innovative thinking by rabbit!!! haha;Q :) ;Q

6. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Rabbit

That's the sight the Glock Armorer put on for me (that I talked about in my other post to you). It was $20 total for him to do it. Well worth it.

7. COLDOC

COLDOC

Years ago I carried my 1st glock (G-19) in a belt slide. I did knock the sight off in a rapid (close to panic;g )draw.

Replaced sight with night-sight, carried in the same holster for several more years, No Problem!

It is a shame, but the Glock sights just do not match the toughness of the rest of the gun. One guys opinion:) .

Doc

8. nvhusker

nvhusker

You can send your Glock with some night sights to Glock and they will install them for you for 20 bucks? That would be a great deal. Let me know if this is true.

9. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I refuse to own a glock with plastic sights. What brilliant engineer decided a gun that could be tossed from a helicopter into a cannon, fired across a field into a salt mine, dug up four years later and still fire, have sights that come off with a gentle tug with your fingers.

I don't get why iron sights aren't standard... I just don't get why glock has such a critical part be so lousy when the good part would cost them next to nothing to put on instead.

10. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Specifically, what iron sights would you have them put on them at the factory as original equipment?

;?

11. RandySmith

RandySmith

I have yet to see a front sight knocked off of a pistol through use. Not just normal range use either, things like DT classes, racking the slide on your belt, shoe, leg, body armor, etc... I have seen them pretty 'chewed' up and rough looking, but they were still firmly attached to the pistol.

When installing night sights, I used to grab the front sight with a pair of pliers and twist it off. Even twisting and pulling on them with a tool like that, they are pretty tough.

I now pull the stake out of the middle and remove them without damage.

Randy

12. rabbit

rabbit

i was wondering the same thing... why the weak sights on such a strong and durable gun? its beyond me.. thanks to all who responded... bluelineman, thanks for responding in both threads, haha. stay safe guys.

13. gary newport

gary newport

This question has been asked an answered many times (often by Butch). The cheap-but-usable plastic sights keep the cost of the firearm down. Since different folks want different sights, NOT having to pay for pricier factory sights that you are going to replace anyway is an advantage, and for those who don't shoot, compete or carry, the factory sights may be just fine and they had to pay a bit less for the gun. (Note that you CAN buy/order Glocks with factory-installed steel night sights. I don't because I don't like the factory method of attaching the front sight.)

Butch may be able to help me out here, but I seem to recall reading that the Glock "top gun" (before Dave) used the factory plastic sights in competition.

14. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

What I did not include in this post (that I did in the other one I talked about) is that I got this done at a gun show in Dallas from a Certified Glock Armorer (T.R. Graham). The white dot is bigger too. Butch's post above has the link to Ameriglo.