close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question on Ducati 900ie

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by pesticidal, May 21, 2006.

1. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I've got a friend that's selling his Ducati 900ie, and I've got the bike urge again. I've had numerous bikes over the years, but I'm not sure if I want to get into a bike like this or not. I'm over 50, so I should be looking at a Cruiser, but I don't feel that old...

He got a custom exhaust on it that really sounds throaty, and the bike handles great. Less than 8,000 miles, and he's willing to take $4,800.00 for it, which seems pretty reasonable.

OK-on to the question. I'm not very familiar with the Ducati. What's the opinions on this bike?

2. fireman jb

fireman jb

I've never owned a Ducati so take my advice with a grain of salt. They are very nice looking bikes and sound great. Usually are pretty expensive up front. Which it sounds like your getting a pretty good deal depending on the year. The one thing you have to watch out for on Ducs are the up keep. They need expensive valve adjustments more often the other bikes. So you need a dealer close by and money to spend. Other then that I haven't seen or heard many people talking bad about them. I personally wouldn't own won, unless I won it some how or it was given to me.

3. c5367

c5367 Esq.

The Monster series are the most versatile bikes Ducati makes. The 900 Desmodue is a solid motor and reliability should be good. A good link....Kinda like GT for Ducati Monsters. More info than you can shake a stick at.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php

4. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Where the heck did THAT come from?

5. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Acckk!

:laughabove:

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep, where the heck did that come from? Cycleglide and the Missus are cracking 60s and they ride his & her Hayabusas.

But back to the Monster 900. That thing is a wheelie machine. The desmodue (2-valve) engine is quite a gem. It doesn't put out the oomph like the desmoquatra (4-valve) or testastretta (their latest & greatest street engine), but it's a lot cheaper to maintain and not quite cantankerous.

Nonetheless, it's a Ducati so be religious with the maintenance and service. If you can't do it then take it to somebody who can. Alas, I haven't found a lot of mom&pop shops for Ducks. And the ones that I've found are just as expensive as the dealerships.

So, if you like it, buy it. It'll be a fun toy. You may need a steering damper for the front wheel though. Otherwise it's a hair twitchy when you come out of a turn hard on the throttle.

7. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

fnfalman-
    Thanks for the info. Intersting you mention the mom & pop stores. The local Ducati dealer is Ma's Cycles...

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If the bike is in good shape and if you like it, then buy it and have fun. Life is too short.

And as a Ducati owner, you get some perks from Ducati as well whenever you go to a moto race. You get to park your bike in an area that's usually closer to the track than at the public parking. Ducati would set up a tent that gives you knick knacks like those lanyard thingie that you put around your neck to hold your tickets/pit passes, a bit of breakfast grub, a bit of lunch grub, munchies snacks, water.

Almost makes me wanna go out and buy a Duck.

And if you don't want to wrench it yourself, the desmodue engine's valve adjustment won't break your bank account like the desmoquatro or testastretta engines.

9. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Yep! Gonna enjoy some of that myself at Road America next month :supergrin: