close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question of conscience?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by time_xx, Feb 8, 2010.

1. time_xx

time_xx NRA life member

Hopefully this is the place for this... My son has a friend who has acquired a Beretta 84F. This kid is 17 y.o. He wants $200 for it with accessories. Now, the dilema: I would guess that the status of this gun is questionable at best, BUT, I don't want the kid to have this thing in his possession. Should I buy it to get it out of the realm of teenagers and shady folk or just stay out of it? I know there is probably no paper trail as Mn. does not register firearms. Advice appreciated.

2. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Stay away. Advise junior to stay away too.

3. time_xx

time_xx NRA life member

The kid already has the gun, this is why I am thinking about getting it out of circulation.

4. space_weazel

space_weazel

You could purchase it to get it out of their hands, remind your son of his responsibilities, and then have the number run at the local PD to see if it's stolen. If it is the owner will get it back, you will still have removed a gun from a likely unsavory situation, and the PD will simply track it back past you as you know where you got it from. If it's clear then you got a cheap gun and did a good deed.

YMMV just an Idea.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

If it's stolen and you know that you are receiving stolen property and committing a crime. Not worth the risk. If he is 17 he could'nt have come into this gun legally. He is not old enough to own it so he is not old enough to sell it. Stay away. If this is a friend of your sons you should recommend that he find new friends.

6. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

There was a time that people called PARENTS would talk to one another.

"Hey John, do you know your son has a pistol that he is selling?"

Since today is a different time, you could use a bit of trickery,

"Hi. This is Timmy's dad. I wanted to talk to little Johnny about that pistol he's selling for $200. It's sounds like a really good deal, and I might be interested in purchasing it."

Under the circumstances, I would be on little Johnny's doorstep to talk to his parents/(hopefully)responsible adults about the situation. If it does turn out as you currently suspect I second the notion that your son needs some new friends.

7. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

If a 17 year old has a Beretta 84F he's trying to sell for $200 and you don't call the cops, you probably shouldn't be owning guns.

He's under 18 so he doesn't legally own it. At best, whoever legally purchased it is an idiot for letting a kid who's dumb enough to try to sell a gun touch one. That's at best..

Call the cops.. if you're to "scared" to do that, at least tell his parents.

For now, and until you tell his parents/the cops, whatever happens with that gun falls on you.

Sleep well.

ETA: Eh, if you're trying to justify buying a gun from a 17 year old to "get it out of circulation!!11!!11!", you probably aren't responsible enough to own guns anyway

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  8. hoffy

hoffy

you do not want trouble, god knows how many laws are being broken, the kids parents need to know, would you want your kid to be in the same boat and not know? Now I know there is a good chance the parents don't care or worse condone it, then you should talk to the cops . They may not care, but I bet they will. If you don't want confrontation, borrow it(a terrible risk) and snip the end off of the firing pin. Have done this more than once when I worked at a gun shop years ago, people would want a gun made inoperative for a variety of reasons. You have yourself a dilemma , sure do.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

As you describe it I wouldn't touch that gun and I'd look a little closer at who your son is picking for friends.

10. Gimp

Gimp Old Coot

A case comes to mind of a woman who knew crack was being sold out of a house in her neighborhood. The cops told her they couldn't do anything without proof enough to get a warrant, so she went to the house and bought some crack, then took it to them.

They arrested her. I saw this on one of those "Lets follow the cops around with a camera" type shows...and the arresting officer was explaining on camera as he was handcuffing her that you can't be in possession of an illegal substance (or, by extension, item) for even the purest of motives and for the shortest possible time and expect NOT to be arrested. Another case recently in the news involved a brit who found a shotgun tossed over his back fence, so he took it to the local constabulary...where he was arrested for possession of a firearm.

No good deed goes unpunished, my friend. Don't take the law into your own hands, take thought instead. Keep your kid away from that kid. If you feel brave or lucky, tip the cops that the gun is up for sale and let them try to make a covert buy.

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

first, the gun theoretically COULD be owned by junior, if an older relative bought it and gifted it to him.. at least in this state.

Let's guess that's not what happened. What happened strongly resembles Junior traded a quarter pound of weed for the gun and now has cold feet.

Get away, get your kid away, don't step in poo if you don't want the stink following you around.

Give your kid some heart to heart about the CYA part of growing up.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010