close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

question from the new guy?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by KD5MSY, Nov 14, 2002.

1. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

I'm looking to sign me and my wife up for GSSF and would like to compete in the MAY 2003 games in Dallas TX. But I have a few questions.

1) The regestration is $20 "per category ". What do they class a "category"? Is it $20 to do the "Glock-m", "Glock the plates" and "five to glock"? So to compete in all three as an amature civilian it would cost me $60? Or is it just $20 to do all three?

2) They say stock parts only! I have read in one post on the web that you can change out the mag release and the slide lock with "Glock's" factory parts. But then I read that the pistol had to be "avaliable" from the factory with those options. So here is my question= I have a glock 22, would like to put in the extended Mag release and the Slide lock, would this be legal?

3) If it is legal, do the parts have to be glock only?

4) Where can I find out about what kind of "side shoots" they have? And how many extra rounds should I bring to shoot these?

Any help would be great thanks,

2. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

3. mike from philly

mike from philly

Let me see I can help:

I think the GSSF membership is $20 for a year per person.

I think the match fee is $25 per catagory, which is Amatuer civilian, stockmeister, competition, subcompact, etc. For the $25, you get to shoot 3 stages (plates, glock m, 5 to glock). The times from all three stages are totaled together to determine your score.

You will want to enter Am/civ so that you have the best odds to win a pistol. GSSF uses the lewis prize system so the the pistols are awarded at every level. Its almost like a lottery.

You can shoot other catagories. it just depends on how much you want to shoot that day. Most folks seem to do 2 catagories. I do one 'cause I have limited ammo/shooting budget. I shoot AmCiv.

I'm not positive about changing the workings of your gun. So I'll leave that to someone else to answer. I use a totally stock gun, including plastic sights.

Side shoots are unusally up to the local club. Sometimes they exist sometimes no. The side shoots seem to be a plate racks and you usually get one run for $1. The maximum rounds for each run is 11 rounds. If you are good, you could get by with 6 rounds.

I usually bring 300 rounds per catagory to a match and use only around 125. Bring extra in case you have to do a reshoot.

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

KD5MSY;

Your annual membership to GSSF is $20 and entry fees for matches are $25 per category when you register at least a week in advance. All 3 stages (5 to Glock, Glock "M" and Plates) are shot in each category for the $25 entry fee. If you just show up at a match and decide to register and shoot your first category will cost you $35 and then $25 for any other categories you want to shoot. This is to encourage everyone to register early so that GSSF has time to print up the score sheets in advance and have them ready for you as you check in at the match. The web site www.gssfonline.com has all the rules, explanation of the stages, printable entry forms and all. I would plan on 150 rounds of ammo for each category you wish to shoot.

Hope this has helped. I shot the Dallas match this year and plan on it next year as well when the new schedule for next season comes out.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Installing a factory extended mag release and slide stop lever is permitted, but is of no advantage in a GSSF match. There are no draws from a holstered position and no mag changes during a string of fire. There are some videos of the three stages at www.sportshooter.com

There is a Texas match in San Antonio on December 7-8, 2002.

Although aftermarket parts may offer no advantage, they could well cause a disadvantage--malfunction--which in turn causes a delay in the match. With over 300 entries per weekend, every effort is made to minimize delays.

Best acccessory available for GSSF shooting is a case or two of practice ammo.

While checking out www.gssfonline.com be sure to look at last years Dallas/Carrollton results. Doing so will give you an idea of how Amateur/Civilian Category is scored.

Don't be shy at the match. Anyone there will be willing to help you get through your first match.

6. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

Thanks everyone! That is what I needed to know. I wasn't sure if the $25 let me shoot all 3 events, or if each event was seprate. I saw on the gssf web site that they talled all the times from each event, but wasnt sure exactly how it all went. I was wanting to get the extra parts for my self and my wife, she is pretty new to shooting and want to make it as easy for her to work the pistol as posiable untill we get her one that she likes. Plus my hands are kinda small... lol
    Again thanks yall.. hope to see some of yall in may.
    Robert

7. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

sorry just relized non of yall are from TX... well it aint that far... mabe one of yall will drive out.... thanks again...:)
    :)