Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just wanted to ask the ladies or anyone else what they carry??

I need to get my wife gun she can carry, and being over here I cant be there to be with her when she gets one.
she doesnt want anything to big, so I just wanted to ask what the ladies carry.

would like to get there advice so I can use this in my decision for her.

thanks for the help

·
Sharon, you will be missed.
26,373 Posts
first of all, thank you for your service :patriot: :hugs:

Secondly, here is the most recent thread on the topic http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=515377

I'm sure you'll find LOTS of other good info by using the search function at the bottom of this page as well. I'm also sure that people will be chiming in on this thread. Im just STARTING to consider what kind of carry gun to get, as I'm waiting for my FLA Non-resident CCW to come back, so I don't have much to offer myself, right now.

Please invite your wife to sign up and come visit!

Sharon

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a S&W .38 snub nose revolver...primarily because we already owned it when I got my CCW & it was the only one we already had that didn't make me look like I had a strange growth coming out of my stomach. I carry inside the waist band.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

·
1,490 Posts
Primary carry is a Dan Wesson CCO 1911 45acp. Holster is a VM-II, and belt is either a Rafter S gunleather belt or a Wilderness Instructors belt.

Alternate carry is a Taurus 605 .357mag wheelgun, and is carried in either a fanny pack, Smartcarry, or a purse.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Body type is going to play a role it what she can get away with carrying, obviously.

I carry a Glock 26 IWB in a Fist K1 holster on a Wilderness 1.5" Frequent Flyer belt. I've found the Frequent Flyer belt looks less "tactical" with jeans. Holster can be found here: FIST Holster

Thank you for your service. I second the suggestion that she join us here. We're lots of fun! :clown:

·
Registered
295 Posts
i don't carry yet (i have a g26 ready for when i do) but i just wanted to post and thank you for your service.

:patriot: :patriot:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help and advice and all the replys,

But Please let me set the record straight ok I am A civilian Over here working for the DoD (Department of Defense) I just dont want to be misleading in any way, But none the less I do have the same dangers as our fighting men and women over here but I just wanted to be up front on this matter.

Well my wife Is native american and stands at just over 6,0 tall so the recoil issue shouldnt be to big of an issue, Now she does have tiny hands so that is the problem.

I thought about the glock 26 9mm or the 33 357. she wants something she can carry in her purse that isnt to big but big enough to handle problems if need be.

thanks again for the help and responses
I emailed her about this site so she is gonna log in and sign up so maybe you all will see her on soon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
My husband (loneeagle) told me about the website and said this would be a place for me to come and talk to ladies also interested in guns. I would like to thank everyone for helping him with his questions.

I dont have a gun yet and I am trying to find one that suites me. My husband is correct I do stand about 6' tall and about 190lbs at the moment.

I do have small hands and the bigger guns just dont feel as comfortable in my hand as the smaller ones.

We are looking for something that suites me but its hard for us with him in Iraq and me here in the states.

thanks
Tonya McCoy

·
26,373 Posts
Hi Tonya! Welcome! I'm sure you'll find lots of great advice here! I also have really small hands, and am just starting to get some ideas for a carry gun.

and LoneEagle, my mom was a civillian DoD employee for many years, you're still putting yourself in harms way, and working for our country, so again, I say thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I worry alot about him but if you ask him, he will just tell you he is doing what he must to help the military and provide for me.

what guns are you considering?

Thanks
tonya

·
26,373 Posts
well, honestly, the ONLY thing I know so far is that I want semi auto, not a revolver for my carry gun. I enjoy shooting revolvers, but for whatever reason, it's not what I want personally for my self defense gun.

Need to get busy and start trying some out soon, but I have to get through next weeks holiday crush before I can really start focusing on it :)

·
Bullseye?
715 Posts
Welcome, Tonya!

I'm not the same size as you vertically (only 5'4"), but I also have small hands. I have a Kahr P9 that I love for carry. Thin, light weight, and it hides really well for me.

I also have a Glock 19 that is my primary right now (I lost the slide stop lever to the Kahr...long story). I like it almost as well for carry, but it is thicker and a bit heavier. Under a sweatshirt, you'd never notice.

I hope you have an opportunity to try some out before you settle on something. Make sure it fits you physically as well as you needs overall.

Nice havin' ya here.

Lynn

·
1,490 Posts
Georgiapeach, welcome Tonya! I'm a little shorter and a little 'bigger', but I manage the recoil on the .357 and my 1911 just fine. I highly recommend you try a 1911 if you are comfortable with a slightly more complex semi auto. Size-wise they are about perfect for smaller hands. Look for something with an Officer length grip for easier concealment, but I would suggest shying away from a sub-4" barrel to improve reliability. Look for a Kimber Compact, Colt or Dan Wesson CCO (if you can find them), and some of the Springfield offerings may have the short grip too. An alternative is a bobtailed full length grip (they chop off the back corner). That will carry easier than a full sized grip normally, and still hold the 8+1 mags.

If you like wheelguns, please look at a 3 or 4" Ruger GP-100, or a 3" SP101 in .357. I bet you will love the GP100!

If you want 9mm, I prefer SIGS, but only because Glocks do not fit my hands.

--Vicky

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm a smaller girl 5'6" about 125 lbs and small framed. I have a glock 19 - it fit my hands well, could shoot it well. BUT I have a hard time concealing it IWB. I do carry in my purse a lot, though I know the risks of that and am willing to take them. I would LOVE to be able to find a good hoslter set up that works for me...but I'm not made of $$ to buy everyone out there and try them. I also won't dramatically change the way I dress. It's a trade-off.

There are a lot of people here with a lot of gun experience - learn the pros and cons of a lot of guns and then try to shoot the guns that interest you.

I'm glad you have joined our little gaggle of women!

·
Registered
86 Posts
:welcome:

Hi Tonya!

I too have small hands and find that single stack firearms fit my hands better. I have a P239 which is a little big and heavy for purse carry but can be carried in other ways.

The main thing is just try as many as you can. :)

I'm with rnchick and won't change the way I dress! :soap: I find the small of back holster to work quite nicely. Cover it with a jacket and you look pulled together no matter the situation. :) You also don't have to worry about your jacket flapping open.

And....it is an excuse to go SHOPPING!!! :supergrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I want a small one to carry in a purse pocket. I have a couple purses I purchased from Galco that has the pistol pockets in them.

I am also wanting a holster to carry one as well. Being new to buying and carrying guns, I am having to do a lot of research. I use to go hunting and shooting with my father but that has been a long time ago and he always gave me the gun he wanted me to practice with.

that's what my hubby tells me, to visit our local store and look around there. Pick up and see which one I like best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Tonya,
I would suggest in addition to visiting your local gun store that you find a range that rents guns. That way you can shoot a few different guns and find what fits you. Everyone has their own likes/dslikes, I personally carry a G26 most of the time but also carry a G19 on occasion. I found that for me on waist band works well, especially one with a FBI cant to it. Of course like everything else, different people like different things. Whatever you choose, just make sure it is something YOU are comfortable with and carry it faithfully. Welcome to our group, you won't find a nicer, more helpful bunch of people anywhere. Good luck in your search. Stay safe.
Deb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually the G26 is one I definitely want to get. I am also looking at the G19.

I wish we had a place out here that rents guns that way but I live way out in the country and columbus georgia is a good 30 minutes from us.

But the other good thing about living out here is we can set up our own shooting range. My family owns 80 acres out here and the only neighbors is family and they dont mind.

Thanks
Tonya

1 - 20 of 23 Posts