Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a newer member and first I’d like to say thanks for everyone’s input and all the great information that can be found here. Upon joining I was a little surprised by the number of members that are against modifying their guns. I guess I’m looking for individual reasons why. I get that some things and some guns just aren’t ideal for edc. I agree with this philosophy to a point such as I don’t think putting a compensator on your edc is a good idea as this can really have an effect on how the gun cycles and then you get into changing springs and slide internals and that doesn’t sound like a good idea. I know we are all concerned with safety and reliability first so I assume that some feel like changing a trigger even to a brand that has been tested and proved reliable over time is still a bad idea? From what I have experienced I don’t feel that me putting a quality trigger in my gun I have negatively effected my gun in anyway and I sure have improved how the gun operates and how proficiently I use the gun. I understand hesitation to use new and untested products but products that have been around by reliable companies not so much. I think we all know that the tolerances in these striker fired polymer guns are less than that of say a quality 1911 and I understand that’s what makes these guns so reliable at the cost of some “performance” but I also understand it’s why you can do horrible things to a Glock and it still will go bang when you pull the trigger. I’m not in law enforcement and I know many here are so maybe that has something to do with it? I know our local PD lets it’s officers modify their weapons as long as approved by the armorer and I know a few officers do have different triggers in their guns. My experience with Glock so far has been overwhelmingly positive except for the trigger they put in these guns. From the uncomfortable shoe to the fact the safety doesn’t completely go into the shoe to the “slop” feel is just not what I am prepared to deal with and when it can be fixed safely and reliably I don’t see a reason not to. I’m not saying the OEM trigger doesn’t have a place or it’s bad isn’t what I’m saying as it’s proven to be adequate over decades. But t my personal feeling is you don’t have to lose reliability to improve on that trigger. Do those that prefer to strictly to OEM primarily shoot Glocks? If I didn’t have guns like my Knighthawk, Beretta 92, Sigs, my Jarrett Rifle maybe I wouldn’t care as much as I do and maybe it has to do with me being just new to Glock. Maybe am used to a certain feel I guess the other reason I could see being if you have to use your gun that legally it could be a negative. These are just a few of my thoughts and I’m just looking for answers to my question. I’m in no way trying to criticize anyone for their beliefs I’m only trying to understand where they are coming from. I’m sorry for the long post this is just something that I’ve been curious about and maybe something one if you says will have a positive impact on my Glock experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
All I and many here do to their guns is sights and maybe a $.25 trigger job. Other than that, stock. The reason? Because most carry their guns and don't want to give a prosecuting attorney anything that can hurt them in a self defense case. Ie, a hair trigger, Punisher skull grips etc.. Anything that might make you look like someone that was just "looking for trouble".
Fun guns? The sky's the limit!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I and many here do to their guns is sights and maybe a $.25 trigger job. Other than that, stock. The reason? Because most carry their guns and don't want to give a prosecuting attorney anything that can hurt them in a self defense case. Ie, a hair trigger, Punisher skull grips etc.. Anything that might make you look like someone that was just "looking for trouble".
That’s exactly the type of info I was looking for. I’ve hear horror stories about someone using a modified gun but never really given it any thought until now.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
That’s exactly the type of info I was looking for. I’ve hear horror stories about someone using a modified gun but never really given it any thought until now.

I don't know if or how many times anything like that has happened to a person legally defending themselves but to me, it's just not worth it to do some things and later find out that it puts me in prison.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Glocks are cheap. Buy more and more. Then swap all the parts and stuff. Dont forget plus 2 mags. Then have the color changed. Then grip stippling then grip reduction. So much fun.. what glock should i buy next ?? Then why does my glock not eject or feed correctly??
Buy a stupid g19 or whatever and learn to shoot it. And learn to clean it and maintain it. Shoof 1000 rounds and if you want to change out the trigger you at least have a reference to start with. Or buy a nicer gun with better sights and a better trigger and shoot your sig or hk or beretta..

Shields or hellcat or sig 365 or xd's are great. And all have a better trigger from the factory..

Choose carefully and you may have less to fix.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
With all my guns even my match guns, I have a not broke don’t fix it philosophy
For me I have seen countless guns choke in matches/ at the range and while not 100% by any means, the VAST majority of guns that did choke had one thing in common- aftermarket modifications. I have tried shooting some heavily modified match guns, and did not shoot better than with a stock gun. I simply prefer running stock guns, and do pretty well with them. Also as I shoot gssf matches which require guns to be stock, modifications to my glocks would be against the rules.
One of the reasons I like shooting gssf is because there is no equipment race like so many other matches I have been involved with over the years.
Back in the 70’s and 80’s people tinkered with 1911’s until they became unreliable paperweights and now these days that seems to be the case with glocks.
My approach does not work for everyone or every application so to each his own. But I see little to know advantage to tinkering on my glocks for me.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Start screwing around with internal parts and you can affect reliability. Maybe it will be ok... but maybe not.

A competition gun that’s a fine trade off to shave hundredths of a second or tiny improvements to accuracy. A gun you trust your life to.. not so much.

If you have a problem with Glock “perfection” out of the box. Don’t try to make it something it is not.

Just buy a better gun to start with.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have heard this several times and have never been able to find one single case where somebody was successfully criminally or civilly convicted or found liable just because of a simple modification and it was in the context of all other things being legal or a "good shoot." Now, I have seen a case where it was a "bad shoot" and a dust cover on an AR was used to further drag the person's credibility through the mud for the penalty phase. I have also seen a case where a person put a part in their firearm that defeated factory safety features and then wasn't following the four cardinal firearms safety rules and negligently discharged their firearm injuring another person. I don't know if the part itself was the cause or the idiot that was pointing the gun in an unsafe direction with his finger on the trigger, but, it doesn't matter in that case because he was proven negligent all around and paid out a lot of money.

I could go on and on about things I've seen as far as both civil and criminal attorneys attacking various things in motions or during trials. That is a conversation that is far too long and involved to type it here and I'm not an attorney so my ramblings here are in no way legal advice. In the end, it's your gun, do what you like. If you modify it, be ready to have a justification for and be able to articulate any modifications you do. For example, I usually change out triggers and connectors, however, I will only use a trigger that uses a factory trigger bar (2 of my favorites and the only 2 I currently use are Apex Tactical and Overwatch Precision) so all of the factory safeties remain in tact and I will only use a Glock factory "-" connector in any of my duty or carry guns. Ergonomically, a flat trigger shoe fits my finger better, allows me a mechanical advantage over a curved trigger shoe, and allows better accuracy due to those reasons. It's very easy for me to articulate that I am responsible for every round I put down range and by doing the simple modifications I do, it allows me to manipulate the trigger in a way that has less of a propensity to move my sights out of alignment and miss my intended target while ALL factory safety features remain in tact. It has nothing to do with shooting faster or being more deadly. If it did, I'd just petition my department to carry a G18 and be done with it.

Again, I challenge anyone in the leave it stock or you'll be found guilty strictly for a modification camp to find me any criminal case where it would have otherwise been justifiable and the person was convicted based on swapping out parts. Even civilly I've never seen a pay out based solely on parts. That being said, I'm not in the "Gucci" camp or into blinging out your gun just for looks...if it is a carry gun. Do what you want to the rest of them and spend your money how you see fit. If I'm doing something to my duty or carry guns, it has to be for a specific and articulable reason that will enhance the way the gun will perform when I use it for its intended purpose. An end plate that says "smile and wait for flash" is just stupid on a carry gun as is a dust cover on an AR that says "You're F&$#@d."

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
A pilcrow would be a nice modification.

OEM or aftermarket are both fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I like stock glocks. Why ? Because IF it works right it goes bang when the trigger is pulled. Due to the corona 19 ive been waiting for 2 weeks for a OEM Glock upper parts kit for a gen 3 17 model. But usually they are very obtainable.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Start screwing around with internal parts and you can affect reliability. Maybe it will be ok... but maybe not.
The short answer to your question really is this simple.

I've modded probably a dozen guns, fired thousands of rounds with no apparent issue. It's a lot of fun to do so. But guns I'm carrying or investigating bumps in the night with will not be "custom tuned" or anything of the sort.

·
Private side
11,596 Posts

A competition gun that’s a fine trade off to shave hundredths of a second or tiny improvements to accuracy. A gun you trust your life to.. not so much.

If you have a problem with Glock “perfection” out of the box. Don’t try to make it something it is not.

Just buy a DIFFERENT gun to start with.
Hehehehe, changed because I agree with MOST of the sentiment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The way I see it is if you shoot someone with whatever gun and whatever mod you're fine as long as it's justified.

When I'm sitting at resting pulse I want a smooth extremely light trigger.

In a stressful situation I think heavy is the way to go.

Maybe setup a hostage target, run a 100 yards to the target and fire at the BG see what you notice?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
A number of people on here have swallowed the Glock Perfection thing hook, line, and sinker, and they are True Believers. They do not really understand how the gun works, and thinking about it makes their head hurt, they are afraid of change, they are suspicious by nature, and messing with Glock Perfection falls right in with voodoo for them. The Internet Experts Do Not Recommend It. Yet many of these guys would think nothing of laying out $4000 worth of 1911 mods.

It doesn’t have to be that way for the thinking Glock owner. Glock aftermarket parts is a hugely competitive market and junk does not survive. If you are more comfortable with a quality aftermarket trigger, and you have range tested it to your own satisfaction, and you shoot better with it, it beats the life out of me why anyone would object.

·
I'm not retired
7,273 Posts
A number of people on here have swallowed the Glock Perfection thing hook, line, and sinker, and they are True Believers.
I wouldn't say I've swallowed the bait, but I definitely nibble at it. I got no issues with doing what ever you want to a play gun, long as it's safe. When my life depends on it, I want it the way Glock made it, at least with the internals. Even after I've done an extensive trigger bearing surfaces polish, the internals are fully intact. I've changed nothing as far as angles and edges that were square. Everything is simply 'smooth', now.

·
I feel pretty.
3,958 Posts
I've done it all. My best Glock builds, used nearly all OEM parts. I've bought every single Zevtech part out there. Glockworx, Lonwolf, etc. etc.

I can consistently get the best Glock tune using a smooth OEM G35 trigger, OEM 3.5 connector, and a Wolf Striker spring kit.

A polished, glass smooth, forged, after market, lightweight striker can be handy. But I can polish the OEM striker pretty smooth as well. And it'll need to be polished at the engagement point again, if it gets rough with use.

9mm gen4's often require a gen3 guide rod and spring to shoot weakish target ammo. I prefer an SS guide rod.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
For an EDC gun:
1. I generally assume that the engineers at Glock, S&W, et al., know more about engineering than I do. If the gun isn't reliable, or is so inaccurate that I think there's a gun problem, it either doesn't get to be the EDC, &/or it goes to a gunsmith for inspection & repair.
2. I don't worry too much about the "evil prosecutor" hanging me because of modifications, but the odds that it could happen are some number greater than zero.
3. I worry more about what a jury might think of my carrying a modified pistol for self-defense.
4. With all of those said, I'm not against any and all mods to an EDC gun. I just haven't found any that have benefits that outweigh the risks. I haven't found a doodad that I think will improve my shooting more than range time, so I spend my $ there.

For a range/fun gun:
1. Modify to your heart's content and have a ball with it.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
If a range gun, I am fine with lots of tinkering. But for a carry gun, I leave it stock, except for sights. A factory Glock is pretty good, and the part that I think is key is the testing.

If you have a given Glock model and you have a given non-Glock part (Zev, Johnny Glock, Lone Wolf, Vickers, Magpul, etc.) which is more thoroughly tested?

One is supported and broadly tested, both inside a company, and by its external customers. The other has far less testing invested, and often relies on word-of-mouth or limited tests.

For example, if you wanted data and testing to demonstrated reliable function, which is better?
  • A Glock issued to police departments, military units, and countless civilians
-or-
  • Any given combination of added parts by various suppliers?

If a a QC or performance problem were to arise, which would you be likely to even hear about?
  • A factory Glock issue
-or-
  • A specialized trigger, spring, or doodad?

Every police armorer with Glock's is keeping an eye out for issues, and will know if something comes up. And issues will bubble up to forums like this.

If a spring is out of spec, or a trigger component has a lot issue, you are an army of one trying to test, verify, and troubleshoot. While that is okay (and even fun!) for a range gun, I am happier trusting a known entity with QC protocols in place to minimize the chance something goes awry.

I don't judge others who like to modify the heck out of their carry guns, but it just isn't for me. I don't have the time, money, or commitment to do all the testing I know I would need to do to do it as well as Glock.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts